First Post/First Surgery

#81
Well 3 weeks down. My wound is now 4cm long and 2cm deep. That arginaid stuff seems to be doing it's stuff and salt baths are a godsend. Just finished all my painkillers and bought some more today. It tends to get quite itchy around 10pm... oh man oh man can i not wait to get my dressing changed again tomorrow... just when i want to sleep it starts to itch... [:8)]
 
#82
Glad you're healing fast! And thanks for recommending the salt baths; my surgeon told me just to shower once a day (probably because my wound was supposed to be closed...). Last week I started taking salt baths and suddenly there's a lot of progress!
 
#83
I don't know why I am asking this but just curious do you use any kind of salt and do you just lay in the bath. I have heard this but are salts good for wounds there is a saying I know about salts and wounds.

Yogi, Pleased for you bud the itching is good and can be seen as a good healing sign lets hope it carries on this way.
 
#84
MaVeRiCk7;74726 said:
do you use any kind of salt
Yeah I use a giant sack of cooking salt and just put like 5 or 6 heaped table spoons into the bath then sit in it awkwardly... kinda hold onto the edges of the bath, lean on one leg, grab my butt cheeks and flap 'em around to get the water to move around and then when i get bored of doing that i lie back for a bit... test how much pressure i can put on the wound (when i lie on it, it opens up) and then when i'm done (about 5 mins of soaking) i jump up and shower off all the salt from my front and legs (but not my back) and then dry off before my nurse rocks up.

I did try some other things... like sitting in a giant bowl, pouring salt + water down my back, sitting in a flexible esky thing... none of them worked. (Well they did, but they were too awkward and silly) So i just cleaned my bathtub a few times until it was spotless and used that.

Also the point of the salt is to prevent infection. Yeah it sounds weird at first cause you'd think the salt might irritate the flesh and kinda rub together on the skin digging in, but it actually kills off bacteria/helps keep the area nice and clean. (The salt dissolves in the hot water) BUTTTT this doesn't mean going to the beach is a good idea. Probably the WORST possible idea for an open wound. Sure small scratches and paper cuts the beach will heal right up, but a deep open wound would have a huge chance of picking up sand/microorganisms/crap etc. etc. and getting infected.
 
#85
I use what is called soda in my country, it's some kind of cleaning salt. It's very cheap, you buy it in the grocery store (housekeeping department). I just don't know what it's called in your country.
Not sure about the amount either; I use about one hand full in my bathtube.
 
#87
u are expecting too much. everythings still fine. u only cdlose up sooooooo fast in the first week or 2 and after that it slows dramatically. i promise. any improvements is measured as success. try not to worry unless theres no change in a couple of weeks time. sounds like your right on target.
 
#88
Well saw my surgeon for a whole 2 minutes earlier today...

He peeled back the dressing, but didn't remove the aquacel and said it looks fine and said i could go back to work in another week and just drive myself to a clinic to get the dressing's done there before going to work... i said i'd prefer to not stress out about dressing changes before work and he said in another 2 weeks i would probably only need some gauze to catch any liquid draining out of it.

That sounds all fine and dandy, but i'm not too sure that when i go see him again in another 2 weeks that it'll have sealed up enough to "just put some padding on the outside". But I am hoping and dreaming that that will be the case. My nurse this morning said a month. Hm.... maybe she meant a month to be completely healed... but judging by how little i healed last time... oh well... (but the amount of kaltostat that they've been shoving in there has drastically reduced in 3 weeks... it went from about 40cm to about 6cm at the moment.... so maybe miracles do happen.

One can only hope, take a million pills, take protein supplements and do salt baths everyday and then rest and get the right amount of sleep. Damn being agnostic.
[:8)][:8)][:8)][:8)][:8)][:8)]

I love this itchy feeling. I'm almost ecstatic everytime i get a nerve twinge or a bit of an itchy feeling. Yah healing! Go body you rock!
 
#89
I can't believe they didnt even remove the packing to have a proper look! Well actually I can believe it, from experience of surgeons!!! I hate travelling 30 mins each way and waiting up to an hour and a half for someone to glance at it!

I agree healing can be super fast and exciting at first but then slows down. Sounds like it's moving in the right direction though.

That Arginaid stuff sounds fantastic, I wish we could get it over here. It is a bit expensive though.
 
#90
pineapple;74832 said:
I can't believe they didnt even remove the packing to have a proper look! Well actually I can believe it, from experience of surgeons!!! I hate travelling 30 mins each way and waiting up to an hour and a half for someone to glance at it!

I agree healing can be super fast and exciting at first but then slows down. Sounds like it's moving in the right direction though.

That Arginaid stuff sounds fantastic, I wish we could get it over here. It is a bit expensive though.
Yeah it's not proven... the chemist and nurses said they just trial it with patients that have trouble healing and/or wounds that take forever to heal. But that it's completely unproven and experimental and i could just be throwing money at the thing for no sign of improvement... but so far so good.
 
#92
yogibbear;74843 said:
Yeah it's not proven... the chemist and nurses said they just trial it with patients that have trouble healing and/or wounds that take forever to heal. But that it's completely unproven and experimental and i could just be throwing money at the thing for no sign of improvement... but so far so good.
Yeah, who knows! I imagine there are no clinical trials to tell us whether it works or not.

I posted in another thread about how my wound healed surprisingly well over the period I had D&V and ate practically nothing, no vits, got dehydrated etc. Go figure!
 
#93
yogibbear;74844 said:
Damn after 3 weeks of not being able to use soap in the shower my BO is terrible.... :eek:
Can you wash your front half with a sponge or face towel with soap on it? I was told not to shower so I've been leaning over my sink and washing this way. Works mostly but I'm not very sweaty/ smelly (or so I think)
 
#94
i found in the baby section they have these baby wash clothes that if u wet them down they suds up so i just fill the sink in bathroom and wash up. its so gentle on your skin that u do not need to rinse it off. it helped dramatically.
 
#95
pineapple;74859 said:
Can you wash your front half with a sponge or face towel with soap on it? I was told not to shower so I've been leaning over my sink and washing this way. Works mostly but I'm not very sweaty/ smelly (or so I think)
Ooo now there's an idea. Yeah just making fun of myself... scaring away all the young cute nurses by flashing them with the alien in my butt. :D
 
#96
Well got the nurse to probe it again today. Unchanged... 4cm long, 2cm deep still. (Which is half the size it was after the surgery) Anyway... i'm back at work on the 25th and HOPING that I will not longer need to get it packed with aquacel/kaltostat etc. and just be putting a little bit of gauze there to catch any liquid draining out of it, but will continue salt baths etc. till it heals. However... i'm not so sure that's going to be the case. But the nurse also said today (as I have her on Mondays to Fridays) that it's looking much healthier. (i.e. the flesh colour keeps changing and there's no sloughing or much liquid drainage into the dressing) due to the salt baths etc. soooooo.... dunno... is it just going to suddenly close up and be only 0.5 cm deep so i can actually see the bottom myself in a mirror rather than trust them on how deep and clean it is? :cool:

So yeah... currently the plan is to be back at work after 5 weeks and 2 days post surgery or something like that. Any more time off and I'd be on unpaid leave. (Using all my annual and sick leave combined :D)
 
#97
I went back to work 6 weeks post opening up of my wound, it was still about 1cm deep. My job involves a combination of sitting and walking around, which I found a good combo because I didnt want to sit down for too long or stand up the whole day.

I think your job is office based? I did find sitting uncomfortable after a while, but it helped to take regular breaks, walk around and change position a lot. Take your coccyx cushin obviously!

After just over a week at work, my wound is now closed :)

My healing went super fast, slowed down then sped up again! Going back to work seemed to help but the driving over xmas did not!
 
#98
pineapple;74901 said:
I went back to work 6 weeks post opening up of my wound, it was still about 1cm deep. My job involves a combination of sitting and walking around, which I found a good combo because I didnt want to sit down for too long or stand up the whole day.

I think your job is office based? I did find sitting uncomfortable after a while, but it helped to take regular breaks, walk around and change position a lot. Take your coccyx cushin obviously!

After just over a week at work, my wound is now closed :)

My healing went super fast, slowed down then sped up again! Going back to work seemed to help but the driving over xmas did not!
Were you packing it with stuff when it was 1cm deep or just putting some gauze padding on the outside to mop up any liquid?
 
#99
i know this questions not for me but i figured i'd pipe in anyways. i was always told to pack it until it will not stay in anymore on its own. once it gets that shallow than theres no danger of it closing up over top and leaving unhealed portions underneath.
 
yogibbear;74905 said:
Were you packing it with stuff when it was 1cm deep or just putting some gauze padding on the outside to mop up any liquid?
We still packed a small bit of aquacel until it closed, the doc did say to continue this when he saw it at 1cm. I'm not sure if we needed to pack when it was almost closed and the packing tended to stick to the dressing. I guess it mopped up the exudate really well and didnt seem to do any harm! I didnt see the nurse very often at the end and the healing picked up and suddenly it was closed!