1.5 years on- surgery wound still not closed

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Right so bit of a strange update. I'm about 3 weeks away from my surgery with Miss Senapati. A couple of weeks ago, my nurse got me using some silicone dressings on my keloid scar which had been causing me all sorts of issues. It's like a miracle. My scar is now amazing and soft and no longer protruding. The wound itself is feeling great and there's much less discharge.

I'm actually starting to think my wound, after like 2 years, might be closing up. But in a way, I'm hoping it's not as I'd much rather have the op and move the wound off midline rather than finally heal now and then it open up again in a couple of months. Strange position to be in.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Right so bit of a strange update. I'm about 3 weeks away from my surgery with Miss Senapati. A couple of weeks ago, my nurse got me using some silicone dressings on my keloid scar which had been causing me all sorts of issues. It's like a miracle. My scar is now amazing and soft and no longer protruding. The wound itself is feeling great and there's much less discharge.

I'm actually starting to think my wound, after like 2 years, might be closing up. But in a way, I'm hoping it's not as I'd much rather have the op and move the wound off midline rather than finally heal now and then it open up again in a couple of months. Strange position to be in.
I think getting the operation is the best outcome, I was in the same position it healed up had a couple of months break from it, then it reopened up again and I went back to square one, the nurse's healed it up again then it reopened up again I got so sick of it that I decided cleft lift was the only way to put an end to it,

I'm 5 week's and now getting stronger and stronger each new week and not had to see the nurse's at all for dressings is a blessing I got tired of seeing nurse's all time, I'm back to work now reduced hour's but another 2 weeks I should be nearly fully healed.

But it's great thing's are easier now with you but you don't want to risk it reopening again in a couple of months it's best to end this disease for life.

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yep sounds like a very similar situation. I'm pleased your recovery is going well.

My fear is that she sees it in a few weeks and then says she won't operate because it's closed so much

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yep sounds like a very similar situation. I'm pleased your recovery is going well.

My fear is that she sees it in a few weeks and then says she won't operate because it's closed so much
I think they know when it's appears to be healed, when she sees you it will be really fast and she will draw a line on where the scar is ask you if you have any questions then she be off.

The theatre team are amazing they will reassure you every step of the way they will be constantly monitoring you, you said you're having it done local anesthesia don't worry they will ask you if you want a bit of sedation so you're sleepy during the operation.

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Thanks for insight. It's getting so close now. Just need this all to end so I can play football again. You reckon you'll be fully healed by 8 weeks?

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Thanks for insight. It's getting so close now. Just need this all to end so I can play football again. You reckon you'll be fully healed by 8 weeks?
Hopefully yeah, I've got my first vaccine this Friday, and I can't wait to tell my nurse's who did my dressings in the past on how well I've healed.

I wish you all the best for you're operation I will just be popping in and out of here to help out other's let me know how it all goes I wish you all the best of success.

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Cleft lift coming up on Saturday. Been panicking and a bit emotional in recent days about whether this works or not. If not, I have no idea what I'll do next. It simply HAS to work

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Cleft lift coming up on Saturday. Been panicking and a bit emotional in recent days about whether this works or not. If not, I have no idea what I'll do next. It simply HAS to work
I wouldn't worry you have the best doctor's and theatre team, I'm 8 weeks since my operation come this Saturday all I can say is since the operation I never had to have any dressings at all not had to see any nurse's at all.

And my wound has never leaked any blood or discharge since the operation, vs open operation and I'm working now and able to walk quite fast In collecting customer's order's.

Every patient is different you might heal faster but in general the long recovery is 8 week's in general I think once you had the operation and it's out the way thing's will start improving from here on up it a very high success rate in general

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Pleased yours is going well. 8 weeks has gone quickly. Things I read suggested 8 weeks is the hope to be back to normal. How long until you think you could play tennis or football?

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Pleased yours is going well. 8 weeks has gone quickly. Things I read suggested 8 weeks is the hope to be back to normal. How long until you think you could play tennis or football?
I think maybe another 2 week's on top so in total 10 week's full recovery I did have a minor set back of the bottom bit opening up but that's normal, and nothing to worry about, I think the thing is listen to what you're body tells you all patients heal at different rates some quickly some longer but always pay attention to what you're body tells you.

Try to not push you're self too quickly that's the mistake I kinda made I tried to push myself too quickly.

If you don't have many scars from you're previous surgery I think you will heal pretty fast I had 3 failed surgery's before my cleft lift so that's why it's taken me longer.

Let know how Saturday goes but I'm not going to lie it's going be really painful the first 4 week's.

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yeah you're right, it'll be different for everyone. Hopefully the last two weeks will sort you out perfectly.

I've had 2 ops already which has led to a really annoying and painful keloid scar. Hoping that doesn't come back.

About to have the covid test then got to stick in isolation. Will post here again sometime soon after the op

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yeah you're right, it'll be different for everyone. Hopefully the last two weeks will sort you out perfectly.

I've had 2 ops already which has led to a really annoying and painful keloid scar. Hoping that doesn't come back.

About to have the covid test then got to stick in isolation. Will post here again sometime soon after the op
Good luck with you're operation tomorrow it be over in 1hr 30 mins, I'm on the first ever train journey since my operation sitting down feels a little weird but it's ok I'm off to enjoy the London attractions.

In 6 week's you will be like me returning to normal like you never had this awful disease I wish you all the best tomorrow

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Thank you! Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. Cant believe this might be the end of it.
Pleased yours is continuing to go well. Who'd have thought a trip on a train could mean so much to people like us

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Back at home now. Miss Senapati said it went well but 'wasn't her easiest' because the skin was quite tight.

Quite sore at the moment, hardly slept at all. Thankfully the drain comes out on Tuesday. My next fear is going to the loo so trying to have plenty of fibre.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Back at home now. Miss Senapati said it went well but 'wasn't her easiest' because the skin was quite tight.

Quite sore at the moment, hardly slept at all. Thankfully the drain comes out on Tuesday. My next fear is going to the loo so trying to have plenty of fibre.
Glad the operation went well, drink plenty of water just try laying on you're side's it's going be a long road to recovery now 8 weeks before you can lift anything heavy going to the loo will be the toughest

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Pain hasn't actually been too bad today. The drain is just so annoying and grim. It seems to be draining quite a lot so I'm just trying not to panic.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Pain hasn't actually been too bad today. The drain is just so annoying and grim. It seems to be draining quite a lot so I'm just trying not to panic.
Don't worry the drain filling up is normal it will soon stop in a few day's, It can be quite scary seeing all that blood but it's totally normal I just hid it in a bag so I didn't need to look at it.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
How was the theatre team?
Was you awake during surgery?
Was Senapati moody when you saw her
How was the travel home