9 days post-op Cleft Lift

Momo Baggins

Country flag
Hey y'all, I figured I would post an update since I had my surgery last Thursday with Dr. Immerman. I am 9 days post-op and feeling decent!

I wanted to address something: getting this surgery will be a unique experience for everyone. There is a general idea of what to expect as far as recovery/recovery time goes, but don't cling to anything specifically. I've seen a lot of people on here post about only having to take Ibuprofen once throughout the whole thing - this was not my experience. While the pain was definitely manageable, I took ibuprofen about 4 times at the hotel afterwards and have taken it once or twice since returning home too. It was never that bad but once the long-acting anesthetic wore off I was pretty sore and it was really difficult to find a comfortable way to lay to get the rest I desperately needed. I'm still experiencing discomfort and occasionally a dull pain when I am walking around or laying in certain positions.

I've also seen the majority of people post that they were able to fly/drive home shortly after with minimal discomfort - again, this was not my experience. We drove 9 hours from WI back to MI and it was pretty crummy. We stopped probably 3 times for me to walk around and take a break. I definitely wasn't able to lean back in the seat in a natural position and resorted to crossing my legs, leaning to one side, or sort or flexing my legs to prop myself up. I did have a coccyx cushion but found it was actually adding to the discomfort. As far as sitting goes now, I am in the 'firm is okay, soft is a no-go' camp. Thinly cushioned or hard wooden chairs are quite doable but not for long periods. My couch is the absolute enemy right now and that sucks. Sinking into the cushions creates pressure in all of the most sensitive areas.

I'm just posting this to let everyone know YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY VARY. Don't be afraid if you have to take more pain meds than someone else or are experiencing pain at a point in recovery when they no longer were. It doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong. Go with your gut, take progress pics, have someone keep an eye on it and email your surgeon if it seems urgent. For me, the worst parts of it were figuring out how to get comfortable in bed with the drain (my shoulders, lower back, and hip muscles would get sore from laying on my sides or stomach) and the antibiotics (which made me feel really nauseous and gross). Luckily I was finished with those a few days ago and only have to take my vitamins and supplements now. I've started drinking 1oz. of Pro Stat wound healer every day too for extra amino acids.

I'd be happy to answer any questions and share photos if anyone likes! The whole experience was kind of surreal and I think I dissociated a lot to get myself through it. I will say Dr. Immerman, his staff, and ESPECIALLY all of the nurses at Sacred Heart were so kind, gentle, and calming. It really was a pleasant experience in that sense. I'm so proud of myself for making the decision and seeing it through. We don't have to suffer with this awful shit forever, it doesn't have to rule our lives!

**Also, I'm wondering if everyone else experienced total numbness along the incision? If so, for how long? Mine is quite numb, and the soreness I feel seems to be from within, which I assume is the nerves reconnecting.

I had some numbness along the incision - probably notable for about 4-5ish months. I would feel it in an exaggerated way when I was working out, especially in the beginning. That has pretty much gone away at this point (I'm 6 months post-op). I do still have some scar sensitivity, but overall it has continued to get better (always my gauge for whether I'm still healing properly). Hope this helps.

HopefulDad

Country flag
Hi there, I’m three weeks out cleft lift, also with Dr Immerman. And also from Michigan! Yep, definitely numb in the whole mid sacral/incisional region.

pilonidal25

Country flag
I just had my Bascom flap surgery on the 16th. As of yesterday, I have had a lot of bleeding/pain when sitting lightly. My surgeon doesn't seem too concerned, but as the patient, it is a bit jarring! Do any of you guys have experience with this?

HopefulDad

Country flag
I just had my Bascom flap surgery on the 16th. As of yesterday, I have had a lot of bleeding/pain when sitting lightly. My surgeon doesn't seem too concerned, but as the patient, it is a bit jarring! Do any of you guys have experience with this?
Define a lot of bleeding…gauze on incision getting saturated and requiring you to change often? Bleeding stop?

pilonidal25

Country flag
Yes, gauze on incision getting saturated. I guess this is normalish and the surgeon said it could be fluid getting pushed out.