Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbradley987

I am like so many on here who has had a little problem with a pc. I had a z-plasty done over a year ago and I am glad to say the pain and the pc is gone. I still have about a half inch long and two centimeter opening right in the middle of my butt crack above my rectum from the surgery that will not heal. It is not very deep because it doesn't constantly bleed or drain. I sit for long periods at work (7-8 hours a day). I have been using a cocynx cushion ever since my surgery which helps some. I have also been using medihoney strips the last 3 weeks to help heal this thing up. I will have a few good days with not much drainage but then if I have a big bowel movement or something it kind of busts the spot open again. My wound is very manageable because all I have to do is keep a small gauze up my crack for the little daily drainage and I am fine. I have been to numerous doctors and wound care people but noone can seem to help. I am usually worse after I go to one of them because they are so rough with it and spread it really far apart to look at it. It normally bleeds a lot and very bright red blood for the next week after going to the doctor.

I need some advice to help heal my little wound. Any help would be very appreciated. Do you think sitting so much is what is keeping it from healing? If so, I may try standing some at work. Also, should I be airing the spot at home under a fan for a few minutes every night? What about soaking the wound in a hot bath every night?

Thanks so much.

cricket1

Helpful
i think that it is possible that sitting for long periods could be causing interference with healing and definitly wouldn't hurt to try standing for a long time to see what happens.

i feel really bad for writing this next part and there would probably be alot of people who will disagree with me but i think for the amount of time this has been open for that theres a good chance that the doc didn't get all the cyst or you've regrown another
i hope i'm wrong here. i really do but in my personal experience when my wound doesn't close for a long time, even if theres no direct sinus; that it usually means theres an underlying cause for it.

i do know however that in this exact location your talking about that its really hard to close and stay closed.

i hope it gets better for you soon and i really wish i had more of a positive response. i don't like being negative in this situation. it makes me feel bad so i apologise.

justbuttin

My son also has a hole in that area that refuses to stay closed for any great length of time. It is only the size of a Q-tip. Strenuous activity seems to open his up. I've taken him to a surgeon (not the one who cut him up like a pumpkin) who reassures me that the hole is not a sinus tract, but a result of the surgery and will always be there. He does tell him he needs to keep the area super clean and free of hair [x:(] I'm hoping he's right!

hopeful

bobbradley987,

i have basically the exact same problem as you. I had a rotation flap done and most of the wound healed except for a little spot. I have ordered some medihoney...but who knows if it will work. I am also afraid to sit down for long periods in fear of making it worse. It's so frustrating since it is such a small spot that it desnt seem worth it to go through another surgery.

Please let me know how you're doing and if you find something that finally works for you!

cricket1

Helpful
justbuttin;67083 said:
My son also has a hole in that area that refuses to stay closed for any great length of time. It is only the size of a Q-tip. Strenuous activity seems to open his up. I've taken him to a surgeon (not the one who cut him up like a pumpkin) who reassures me that the hole is not a sinus tract, but a result of the surgery and will always be there. He does tell him he needs to keep the area super clean and free of hair [x:(] I'm hoping he's right!

i am really concerned with this hole u describe. its one thing to have an opening or a wound that just won't heal but to describe this hole as a hole, about the size of a q-tip is very frightening. i have also explained this hole a many of a time to a doc and they also want to fight me on it saying theres no depth, so therefore nothing to worry about. this just wasn't the case on three seperate occasions and three seperate surgerys. when going back in the doc always figures to find nothing and my third operation was so extensive that it was down to bone. 4 inches deep,4inches wide, and 6 inches long.

i don't believe one should have a hole that more than likely tunnels if theres nothing amiss. i hope i'm wrong as well but i just don't buy what the doc told you guys about it just being surgery related. a hole is how we all came to know pilonidal disease even existed at all.

justbuttin

Without a doubt, it's a cause for concern. Unfortunately, from what I've read and been told by several doctors, there is no diagnostic tool that is accurate to see what may lie beneath the surface, short of just cutting it open again. It seems like a crap shoot (no pun intended there:eek:), waiting to see if things get worse or not, or slice and dice! The depth of my son's 'little hole' isn't even an eighth of an inch, it has closed up before with the help of manuka honey. Is there anything else to do but keep a close eye on it and hope for the best?
I think this disease needs a "star" spokesman to put it out there and maybe it will get the attention and money to find some 21st century way of dealing with it.

I've had the same after every surgery I got... also after woundvac it refused to closed, that's why they did a skin transplantation this time..
It seems to work now.. :S but still not sure if it will remain closed... :)

bobbradley987

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been using the medihoney strips for a while and that seems to work pretty good. I didn't sit as much at work today and there wasn't much drainage on my gauze when I got home so maybe that helped a little bit. My wound has never been infected and that is why I don't believe I have another PC coming. I have started airing it more during the night by sitting under a fan for about 30 minutes. I am also going to try to only change the gauze every other day because a nurse once told me the less you can disturb the area, the faster and better it will grow new skin tissue. Do you guys agree with that? I am also very hairy on my bottom and in my crack. I have had a couple people try to shave the area but it is so hard to get up there in the crack where the wound is. Do you guys really think that hair around the wound could be causing it not to close up? I think a skin transplant would work great if you could find the right doctor. I don't know why stitches wouldn't work either. I am really to the point at just dealing with the very small drainage for a few years unless it gets a lot worse because I feel great so I find it point less to keep on going to the doctor for something so minor. Also, if the wound is left alone for a few weeks, there is a chance that it may close up on its own. I hope everyone else is healing good. Thanks to everyone!

cricket1

Helpful
i really do think the hair could be playing a huge part here. i don't shave at all but i have been shaved a few times by the surgeon and than he would say now lets see what that does over a couple of weeks. he really thought we could see dramatic improvement just simply by getting that irratant gone. its worth a shot anyhow.

i hope it gets alot better for you soon.

bobbradley987

If I did get it shaved really good one time is there any kind of ointment or cream to put on the area so the hair will never grow back?

cricket1

Helpful
there is but i've never used any so i don't know what kind. i've heard nair from one member is a very bad idea but he liked most others.

justbuttin

My son's surgeon just shaved his behind a couple of days ago. He also yanked out :eek: a few hairs that were down deep - that had to hurt! He told us we could Nair it since it is "healed". Not sure if you should use it if there is still discharge or it looks raw.

bobbradley987

I have used medihoney for about 3 weeks now and I can honestly say I think my wound is worse because it has been bleeding a lot more. It is still manageable but when I change the gauze it has a lot more blood on it. I think I will try going a few days without a gauze and see what happens. I have been wearing two gauzes lately.........one is the medihoney and one is just a plain gauze over it to absorb the honey from getting on my clothes. Maybe not wearing any gauzes will cause the spot to get more oxygen and I will not be messing with it as much such as changing the dressing so hopefully it will have a chance to grow some new skin cells without the area getting disturb. Any thoughts?

cricket1

Helpful
i don't see why that would be a problem. as long as your comftorable with it. getting air might be really good for it. i hope it gets better for you soon.

MaVeRiCk7

Very Helpful
Country flag
bobbradley987;67140 said:
If I did get it shaved really good one time is there any kind of ointment or cream to put on the area so the hair will never grow back?

There is some kind of ointment that my surgeon's registrar put on after he shaved my area and it looked like urine to be honest that was its colour and it stung like mad but he didn't tell me the name of it. That ointment made the hair grow back but after a long time.

I suggest that you put some honey into that wound I use this (http://www.advancis.co.uk/shop/product_detail.asp?productID=CR3830)

But my wound has healed so I just put some on where the wounds healed from. My wound actually opened as well a few weeks ago and this honey just closed it right away. Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.