Anything Helps

Meggypee

Country flag
Hi all....about two weeks ago I noticed some tailbone pain, nothing too bad but it did sometimes wake me up in the middle of the night. I do work out regularly but it did not seem to hurt when I worked out or did much of anything I just noticed a constant throbbing. I told my mom and she said she had a cyst on her tailbone in college and just got it removed and it never bugged her again, so i started to feel around and noticed a lump. She did not tell me what kind of cyst she had. I started googling and found a pilonidal cyst and went to the doctor a few days later and he confirmed it. He said it is very small and not yet infected and I just had to wait for it to become infected to really do anything? This doesn’t sound like good advice. Has anybody had theirs drained before it became infected? If so, what happened? I definitely do not want surgery but I also don’t want to wait for it to get worse. Someone tell me anything please!!!

I was in the same boat as you 4 years ago. My cyst was small and was not much of a bother. My doctor and a surgeon I seen suggest I try and live with and see if it gets worse. It is not bad advice that they told you that as many take that approach. However, many doctors and surgeons do not realize that these cysts are treatable in the proper hands using the proper method of removal.

Surgery is the only way to get rid of them for good. And let me tell you, living with one of these things is mentally exhausting. The emotional toll of knowing at any moment it could start getting worse is hard. That is how it was for me at least. I am finally getting surgery next month in hopes of getting rid of this thing.

I do not regret choosing to live with it for 4 years though. I first discovered mine in college. So I had to finish up school and right after that I started a new job. I think timing plays a big role in when people finally decide to get surgery who have been living with them. That being said, I also have read these cysts are easier to operate on if they are caught early.

Back