Bascom with Miss Senapati - post op

CoranyP

Country flag
Hi everyone. First of all, I've been reading this forum for years now, and you all have helped out so much. I could go on and on about how much support I've found in reading your discussions and posts, but I'd be here all day! I just want to say thanks to you all. Without this forum, I'd have went down the wide excision route and, considering my case is considered 'mild' (I question this diagnosis as I'm constantly in agony), that could have made my life a lot more difficult than it already has been.

Anyway, I'll try and be as brief as I possibly can. 10+ year sufferer, usually controlled by taking fluclox whenever needed i.e. it would be come very painful, pus/blood would leak, I'd get a course prescribed and then it would usually go down. This all changed Xmas 2020. It got really bad, I took antibiotics, it went down a bit, and then flared up again straight away. I've pretty much been on antibiotics since then every 2 weeks of each month. My insides must be struggling, but I've had no choice as it's been so painful to just get by every day.

So, where I'm at now. I saw Miss Senapati last week for what I thought was going to be the Trephine procedure (believe this is same as GIPS), however she chose this technique a year ago, and obviously I've gotten a lot worse since then (have also had an emergency I&D). Upon seeing me on the day of my surgery, she decided that the Trephine procedure wouldn't suffice, and so opted for Bascom's pit picking (Bascom 1 I think it is - not the Cleft Lift). I started to panic a bit as I'd literally become an expert in the trephine procedure through research, and now all of a sudden I'm having a different op. Anyway, I put a lot of trust and faith in Miss Senapati, and so I calmed down a little.

I'm now 5 days post-op. Bled a bit on the first couple of days. Thankfully my mum was down to take me to and from the hospital and she is a practice nurse, so knows how to deal with this all too well. Hasn't bled too much since, but I think I'm now developing an infection. Have requested antibiotics to clear this up, which I'll grab tomorrow. It hurts a bit, and I can't really tell if it's less painful or the same as before, but I'm still worried. I'm pretty defeated with the whole thing, so even though I've had my op which I'm told has a 10% chance of recurrence, I'm still just a bit pessimistic.

I'm a fairly healthy, sporty, slim, young man so I'd like to think healing will be okay. But I just want to know if anyone else has been through this same op and what your experience was?

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll try and respond as best I can.

Cheers everyone

Rainbow99

Country flag
Hi! Hope you're doing okay! I'm going in for my op with Miss Senapati at the end of October and I believe I'm going for the pit picking procedure. I was just wondering how your recovery is, and how soon you went back to work or back to being active?

Thanks!

CoranyP

Country flag
Hi! I'm doing okay thank you. I have my follow up with Miss Senapati today - I'm about to drive there now. Recovery is going okay, I'm in a lot less pain, but there's still a bit of a hole where the wound was left open - hopefully it's nearly there. Not sure when I'll be able to get back on my bike and play football, but hopefully not too long. I think I'm going to re-join a gym next week, and I can definitely go for a run now as well - I'm just a bit worried haha.

When you say the pit picking procedure, do you mean the trephine technique? If so, I didn't end up having this procedure, as there was such a long period of time from my initial assessment to my op (thanks to COVID). My case had worsened slightly (not too bad, but the sinus was too large for the trephine), so she did Bascom 1 instead. It's been 8 weeks since my op - I'm definitely in a lot less pain, and have a lot more movement than I did pre-op. But, there is definitely still pain there, and I can't sit in certain ways. Hopefully I learn a bit more after my check up with Miss Senapati today.

Feel free to ask me anything else. Hopefully this has helped.

Cheers

Jacob97

Country flag
Hi. I’ve had 3surgery with pilonidal sinus.. all of them was the open wound healing trough NHS. End of November had my recent surgery, the wound was 5 cm long and 5cm deep, now the wound it went to less than 1cm deep but it’s still quite long.. I’m trying not to sit because I’m really worried about it but does someone will recommend try to sit ? I really don’t know what to do. I’m 24 year old male.. struggling for nearly 4years. Having daily dressing change but after this time I can see that they don’t have much knowledge about my problem..