Best value coccyx cushion? Need opinions/experiences.

cjpsa

Hello, everybody. I'm actually asking for advice for my wife who is 35 and has Pilonidal issues. She's been having flare-ups lately and I want to find her a good coccyx cushion because sitting for her has been extremely difficult. I searched "cushion" here which came up with a bunch of results but I just wanted to post my own thread in hopes of getting a quick answer because I really need to find something for her ASAP.

We started out with inflatable donut cushions which I now realize are not as effective coccyx cushions. The first donut cushion was a cheap vinyl one from CVS pharmacy that worked well at first but sprung a leak after only a couple of weeks. We next tried a more expensive seemingly more durable red rubber one from CVS, I think the brand was Carex. That one had valve issues and wouldn't stay inflated either. Now I'm looking into coccyx cushions but I'm afraid we'll just wind up with another dud, so I really want to make sure it's a good quality one for hopefully a decent price. We were able to return the previous two to CVS for a refund but it seems basically all the decent-looking coccyx cushions are only available online which makes it more difficult and costly to return if needed.

Anyway, I'm looking for something that's soft and comfortable but thick enough that it won't just compress into a pancake. A friend gave us a thin wedge-shaped coccyx cushion (brand unknown) and it's pretty much useless in that regard. Researching this online has been difficult. Reviews are always mixed with people saying completely opposite things. So far, I'm considering these three:

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-Produ...e=UTF8&qid=1379734379&sr=8-1&keywords=kabooti

http://www.amazon.com/Aylio-Coccyx-...qid=1379734400&sr=8-4&keywords=coccyx+cushion

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Comfor...379734454&sr=8-1&keywords=bottom+reformulator

Has anyone tried these? Any other suggestions? I want the best for my wife and don't want to keep having to keep buying things, waiting for them to arrive and then just end up having to return them. It seems like this is THE place to ask as you all know what a pain in the butt this condition can be!

Thanks in advance,

CJ

COGirl

Hi ! I hope your wife is feeling a bit better! :)

I purchased this one from Relaxobak a few weeks ago: http://www.relaxobak.com/deluxe-orthopedic-cushion.html. I do not recommend it at all. It put more pressure on the entire area, and caused more pain than it alleviated. I'm returning it.

This cushion seems to have high marks from users across the internet, but I haven't tried it yet: http://www.contourliving.com/p-300-...aign=Kabooti&gclid=CJT0ifaL5bkCFcZj7AodGisABw.

I've been using a posture correcter seat I purchased from my massage office (Massage Envy) and it seems to help more than the cushion I purchased, although my flare-up has subsided and I'm no longer as sensitive as before. It's similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/BackJoy-Posture-Ortho-Black-120-300-Pound/dp/B006R3FOKK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380062253&sr=8-2&keywords=posture seat.

Good luck! :)

Mark David

Country flag
I sit on 2 tush cushes. http://www.amazon.com/Tush-Compu-Co...UTF8&qid=1380137117&sr=8-2&keywords=tush+cush

http://www.amazon.com/Tush-Cush-Ort...UTF8&qid=1380137117&sr=8-1&keywords=tush+cush

I originally bought the blue one, felt like I was sinking through it, so I bought the black firm one. I'm 200+ pounds so that may be why, but I need to sit on both at once to really have no pressure on my tailbone. That being said, that costed me around $100, which doesn't seem like a good deal. But I haven't used any other types.

meganmegan

Very Helpful
Country flag
This is a little strange but I actually sat on the neck rests you see people using on airplanes.
LOL, and it worked for driving! Additionally, I got it at the dollar store. $1.... Can't go wrong there.

kittygirl

Very Helpful
Country flag
This is a little strange but I actually sat on the neck rests you see people using on airplanes.
LOL, and it worked for driving! Additionally, I got it at the dollar store. $1.... Can't go wrong there.
I did that at first, two of them to make a donut but they kinda flattened out after awhile and didn't work so well...

moving on, I use a coccyx pillow from CVS for driving, a normal old pillow for long periods of time sitting at home....

suzana

Helpful
Hi all
I have purces coccyx cusion today at John Bell& Croyden pharmacy - helthcare store in London .The advantage of it is that you can acctualy sit down and tray it out.
For all of you who is in Londan I would recomend it.
Susana

beverlyg

CJ,

I had the same problem when choosing a cushion from Amazon. I ended up buying the top 5 rated cushions with the intent of returning them all except the one I liked best. The cushion I chose to keep was the coccyx seat pillow by Aylio. It's been great and im still loving it

hope this helps

Beverly

cjpsa

Hi, guys. Sorry I haven't checked in on this thread for so long. Just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. We tried this one from Walgreens but it went flat too easily so we returned it. Will probably try the Aylio next but right now we're more focused on finding treatment.

Kay C

Helpful
Tush Cushe is amazing! It hs the cut away so you can still sit on your seat bones, like normal, but you don't sit on your tailbone and have that pressure there. Plus it's wedge shaped to promote proper posture (especially when driving!) I used to get low back pain when driving and don't have it as much w/the tush cush.

When i was recovering from pilo surgery i had a donut and it was so uncomfortable to sit on.

Kay C

Helpful
Re Treatment;; be sure to find a forum approved pit picking and/or cleft lift surgeon, so your wife can be done w/pilos forever! :)

Jaredsmom

Very Helpful
Tush Cush definitely. Jared loves his. Still uses it at home, 6 years post cleft lift. He doesn't NEED it, I think he just got used to sitting on it. Lol

ROB6ERT

Very Helpful
I bought mine at a surgical supply place, they had a several to chose from of different qualities and firmness but believe it or not I did find a pretty good one at walmart in the auto section, I bought one and use it on my riding lawn mower and it works pretty good

David smith

Hey guys,

I have coccyx pain in my back and I sit in front of a computer all day long (I'm a software engineer). My lower back and my ass hurt every day, I used to use this pillow on my chair but lately it's just not helping anymore. I have to stand up a lot throughout the day just to relieve the pain. So I bought a new seat cushion called ChiroDoc Memory Foam Coccyx Seat Cushion on Amazon with hopes that it could relieve my lower back pain.

http://www.amazon.com/ChiroDoc-Bumtiful-Breathable-Ergonomic-Orthopedic/dp/B01B7EULE2

This is the third and the best seat cushion I have ever bought on Amazon (first and second were too hard). What's so great about it is that while it's super soft there's still this certain firmness about it so it has not yet gone flat. Memory foam maybe. When I first sit on it I feel the quality and the stiffness which I mentioned which to me is great because the material isn't degrading but give it 1-3 mins and the material warms up and forms to you like a glove and you automatically feel the support and comfort. Now I take this lil guy with me literally everywhere I go.

It's been about 3 weeks since I have used this product and it doesn't feel cheap or will flatten anytime soon. When you sit down on it it compresses but as soon as you get back up it stiffens back up. Let's see how long it will last but so far I love this thing religiously and my colleagues in the office who have used it swear by it as well.

Amazingly, it's not that expensive. Mine cost about $35. Is it worth it? In my opinion, absolutely: thousands of dollars that would have gone to the chiropractor to straighten and fix my spine and posture was thousands of dollars saved thanks to this bad boy.

It helps a lot (especially in the car or at work and if when we go into a restaurant or somewhere with hard seats (hate those darn wooden chairs lol).

Verdict: Get your hands on this bad boy, it will save your back and entire body a world of pain and in the long-run, your wallet. I will update you guys within the next month or so but so far I'm loving it every damn second (so is my butt).

KathleenRoberts

Country flag
I've wasted a bunch of money of 3 different pillows from Amazon, all of them were junk in terms of helping my Pilonidal Sinus.
Do not buy donut pillows, it just caused me more irritation and flareups. Plus they are madly uncomfortable to sit on.
Plus the tush cush that someone posted above is just too hard, doesn't have enough cushioning to sit on for long periods.

I recently bought this one and it has been much better, it actually takes tension off of my pilonidal/coccyx area:

Pilocare Pilonidal Sinus Cushion

I've been using it for 3 months, and i've had way less flare-ups.
I am still intending to book Epsit surgery after the pandemic, but this cushion has made my symptoms a lot more tolerable.