can I go swimming in the ocean with an open wound?

thai_nick0823

I just had my surgery may 7th. I meet with my surgeron tomorroe and im sure he will measure it and tell me. Although, my girlfriend and her grandparents were going on vacation in capitola for the weekend. They invited me, but it isnt till june 20th, thats a month a two weeks I think. I'm pretty sure I will be half healed by then?!

Robert Eden

Very Helpful
Country flag
I wouldn't (and didn't) go into the ocean with an open wound.

Good luck!

Robert

Jacobts

No, that wouldn't be a good idea, submerging the wound completely in water is generally not a good idea, unless you have doctor approval.

Jaredsmom

Very Helpful
Ask your surgeon. However, personally, I would not do such a thing.

kittygirl

Very Helpful
Country flag
I've always read no pool or ocean while you have any sort of hole....I wouldn't recommend it, it's best to avoid things that could infect a wound.....

ellysparkles

Very Helpful
Country flag
Def. agree with everyone else about going into the ocean or any time of water w/ an open wound. However, here's something my surgeon told me about: 3M Tegaderm Hydrocolloid Dressings. I haven't used it personally but he said if I wanted to go swimming, I would need to use this. It's waterproof but still breathable. Do some research and see if it's something that you can use.

Hope that helps!

LILLY

Very Helpful
Country flag
Elly that's very interesting. We had our regular beach vacation a month before my son's cleft lift. His surgeon told us he could swim because he only had an open sinus and not an open wound. Still I was very afraid to take the risk. He did swim in the ocean and in the pool without problems but if I had known about that type of dressing I would have used it for my own piece of mind.

ellysparkles

Very Helpful
Country flag
Lilly, I, too, am afraid to risk it with an open wound. PD is a literal pain in the butt and I'd rather not risk anything going wrong while I'm healing. haha =) But I figured if someone really wanted to go swimming, this might be their best option? I haven't seen anyone talk about it on this forum so I don't know if surgeons/doctors know about it.

LILLY

Very Helpful
Country flag
I'm not sure if they know about it or if maybe they do and just don't trust it. I probably still wouldn't risk it with an open wound. I think that's one issue that surgeons seem to agree on -no swimming with an open wound.

naomiama

Very Helpful
Def. agree with everyone else about going into the ocean or any time of water w/ an open wound. However, here's something my surgeon told me about: 3M Tegaderm Hydrocolloid Dressings. I haven't used it personally but he said if I wanted to go swimming, I would need to use this. It's waterproof but still breathable. Do some research and see if it's something that you can use.

Hope that helps!
I remember hearing about something like this in a video I watched way back about a girls recovery she recommended them for taking showers/swimming.

UnluckyOne

Very Helpful
I'm going to be honest and say that I did go swimming with my open wound. I was *supposed* to be healed from my excision surgery by the time I went on my already planned and paid for spring break trip to PCB my freshman year in college. When I wasn't (even close), I asked my surgeon if I could swim and he said he wasn't sure but would probably play it safe. I planned not to, but the second I got there, it was too hot and beautiful so I decided not to let that stubborn wound ruin and rule EVERY aspect of my life. And I swam in the ocean multiple times that week. I kept up with the wound and everything as normal (allowing it to kind of "rinse" in the shower and then re-packing- daily) and I was fine. I might have actually seen my healing speed up/look a little better afterward, if I recall correctly.
Obviously, I can't speak for you (especially since I had NO idea how big, deep, unhealed, and easily agitated your wound is) and I can't say it's the most advisable thing, but I just wanted to say that I do have experience with it and I was fine.