Cleft Closure Recovery

adam_atTheDiner

Country flag
I got mine through the NHS. Got a referral from my doctor (had to almost force my doctor). All it cost me was petrol and a couple nights in a local travel lodge.

be very glad you live in the UK and not the US for this in particular. If i wasn't on Medicaid (US health insurance program that's relatively comprehensive but you have to qualify financially for this program, i.e., be low-income), i'd have been ruined.

Luke Wade

Very Helpful
Country flag
I will probably ask for spinal anesthetic not a fan of General anesthetic, had a few problems being put to sleep. Everything is moving forward waiting for a appointment date to see senapati if my insurance company pays for it private i can speed things up

Looking forward to a fresh new start and getting my life back to normal without being in pain every time I sit down or walk long distances at work.

I can't wait to go to the cinema without getting up from the chair and feeling my buttocks in agony
I actually asked for local as I don't like being put under also. But she said it was pretty difficult to do that way.. Made it sound like it was impossible. Bare that in mind she seems pretty firm on the idea of GA but by all means ask for spinal. I let them know I was really nervous before and the anesthetist gave me some calming drug just before I was put under. All my worries went away

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
They all seem to say that lol sometimes you gotta put you're foot down i will definitely say no this can be done under spinal as I had spinal last year my only issue is my wound keeps reopening my wound size now is apparently only size of a pea so i don't know might not need the operation it's the issue of will it reopen when it closes

Luke Wade

Very Helpful
Country flag
What operation did you have done wide excision? She said the reason they won't use local is they would have to keep administering it and the surgery is distressing for patient. I think my cleft lift was about an hour or just over. Spinal might be different tho, epidural right?

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
I had open wide excision in 2016 but never fully healed kept getting infected so than I went to spire private hospital last year they we're going to do flap but didn't and i was annoyed they only excised it.

They used pico dressings healed it had a break for 6 months and from February this year it has reopened twice this year again pico dressings healing it from 2cm to now size of a pea no idea how small size of a pea is lol.

But if it reopens again cleft lift is the only way forward no more negative pressure dressings they used spinal on me during operation I was awake but couldn't move

Luke Wade

Very Helpful
Country flag
Same with me. I had wide excision in 2009. Kept healing and breaking down, quite a few infections. Finally decided this was never going to stay healed, put my anxieties aside and booked in for cleft lift in 2017. Was totally determined to put it behind me, barely think about it now just come on this forum to share experience and offer advice - as it did for me.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
I hope senapati is the queen of operations i have seen a premier Inn not far from spire Portsmouth hospital 9 mins by car £41 a night so i will probably stay there for few night's until I'm well enough to go home or maybe I book 10 night's have the drain taken out on the 10th day

Luke Wade

Very Helpful
Country flag
She's amazing at what she does. She told me with this surgery she has a 99% success rate with the 1% needing a 2nd surgery. Yes I stayed there also

Unknown2

Very Helpful
Country flag
She's amazing at what she does. She told me with this surgery she has a 99% success rate with the 1% needing a 2nd surgery. Yes I stayed there also
Luke just wanted to know how long did it take to get the procedure done after your first appointment thanks