Cleft lift 5/15/18 recovery log

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
I just got caught up on your story. I’m so glad things are going well. I hope my sons goes as well

I don’t recall getting instructions to clean the incision with a wet towel? I thought I saw that somewhere in the comments?

I’ll be praying for you and please pray for my sons recovery !
Thank you I will be praying for your son too! I clean the area with wet wipes after I have a bowel movement. He never instructed to do that but I just feel like it helps to keep the area clean.

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
Day 6- I got my drains out today by my friends wife who is a nurse practitioner. I was supposed to leave it in another day but they were bothering me and got approval from my doctor to do so. I warned her it was pretty gnarly looking to give her a heads up. When she saw it she said it wasn’t as bad as she expected, and that she’s seen worse. I finally got the courage to look. It wasn’t as bad as I thought either. I mean I won’t win any swimsuit awards or anything. The nurse clipped the stitches holding the drains in and pulled them out. There was a little blood that came off when she pulled them out but it was just a little. She wiped the area with antibiotic ointment and put gauze over the holes. I checked it about 6 hours later too and there was just a little spotting on the gauze pad. Just a tiny bit. Like the size of a pea. She said it may do that for a few days before it scabs over. The overall wound looks good. No leakage or blood whatsoever. I’ve stopped taking my pain meds. I will only take 1 if I absolutely need to. The last 2 days I haven’t had the need. I will finish off the antibiotics and continue taking my vitamins.

I still feel a little discomfort from sitting. It’s more of a weird feeling than a pain feeling. I just think I have to get used to it. I rode in a car for 45 min to and from my daughters birthday party. I didn’t fee much pain just the paranoia and mild discomfort. I’m sure that will fade soon. I walked around and played with my kid and other little kids at the party with no issues. My appetite is coming back. I had pizza and cake etc.

I go back to work at my office job tomorrow. I will be using my coccyx cushion while at my desk. I am nervous about wearing khakis and dress shirts again. I’ve been wearing nothing but loose basketball shorts or sweats and t shirts all week. I will post progress pics at some point. I’m going to eat dinner and then lounge on the couch for a few hours to help get my mind off things.

Godspeed everyone!

Luke Wade

Very Helpful
Country flag
Glad to hear you're doing well, Jon

Randomly came across your post and thought I'd share a brief summary of my experience.

I had the Cleft Lift performed in September 2017 and happy to say I am fully healed now. I did have some splitting issues 1 month after surgery which took around 6 weeks to heal which I'm told is very normal! But yeah I've been healed for around 5 months now, travelling, working, gym - not even thinking about pilinodal, it's been a life changer!

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag

Randomly came across your post and thought I'd share a brief summary of my experience.

I had the Cleft Lift performed in September 2017 and happy to say I am fully healed now. I did have some splitting issues 1 month after surgery which took around 6 weeks to heal which I'm told is very normal! But yeah I've been healed for around 5 months now, travelling, working, gym - not even thinking about pilinodal, it's been a life changer!
Thank you I appreciate it. I’m so happy to hear you’re healed as well. I wish you continued success!

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
Day 7- went back to work today. Sat on my coccyx cushion about 60-70 percent of the time and stood about 30 percent. Not out of discomfort, I just wanted to get some air to the area as much as I could. I have not taken a pain med in 3 days now. I also no longer need the dressings for my incision. I only have gauze over the newly healing drain spot. Zero spotting at all on my underwear so far. Definitely a good sign after I sat for probably 6 hours today.

My appetite is almost fully back as well. I had Mexican food for Lunch today and it was wonderful. I realized when I went to the doctor last week I’ve lost about 15 lbs in the last month or so. Probably from just overall sickness, anxiety; stress etc. Work was fine today other then the weeks worth of madness I had to catch back up on. I’m in property management (a lot goes on in a week).

Lucky for me every bowel movement I’ve had thus far has been in the morning right before I shower. So I can just clean up then jump in the shower. Going to Number 2 was one of my biggest fears and so far so good. It’s not been too hateful. It does definitely feel different though.

I’ve been sending pics and asking questions to Dr. Immerman every few days just to make sure I’m following orders properly. Dr. Immerman is the best! He responds back so quickly. Again, I highly recommend to anyone reading this. The only thing he told me not to do that I’ve been doing is to not put any antibiotic ointments on my drain spot which I did do at first. I didn’t ask why, but I’m going to listen.

Sleeping has been pretty normal. I didn’t sleep well when I had the drains in. Now it’s almost back to normal. Only mild discomfort from time to time. I got about 6-7 solid hours of sleep last night and only woke up briefly in the middle of the night, probably just from work anxiety. I’m currently laying in bed writing this and feel no discomfort.

By no means out of the woods yet. I’ve been through too much too optimistic. I won’t give myself the all clear for a while still. But I can say I’m doing well and I thank Dr. Immerman and his entire staff.

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
Day 10- Not a whole lot to report right now. Everything is still going well so far. My hole that the drain was in is still not closed all the way but it doesn’t really bother me too much. I wear gauze over it and it has a little spotting. My steri strips will come off in the next few days. I’m supposed to leave them on 2 weeks. I can say everything has gone well so far other than just minor discomfort at times. The only thing that has sort of bothered me thus far is cleaning up after bowel movements. My wound is so close to the anus and everything is so tight back there that it makes it a little difficult right now. I’m sure over time it will get easier. I have just a day or 2 worth of antibiotics to finish off. Haven’t taken a pain pill in quite some time now. I’ve had no issues working, sitting, on driving.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday!

Ohmygod

Country flag
Yet again one more pilodinal story. In short I had 2 conventional pilodinal operations and both have failed. Even though there was no cyst underneath, superficial skin was not closing.

I researched a bit and found out about clift lift and had my clift lift operation on last Friday.

This is my first week of surgery and I am seeing lot of drainage from my stiches. My stiches started right beside anus, just 1 inch gap. Hence every ball movement is like a hell

I know drainage consisting of blood and Yellow pus is too common after clift lift surgery. My question here is..how to take care of this drainage? Clean it and place a gauze? Or just clean it and wear clothes on it..

I called my surgeon and he is too busy to answer my all questions..he was too normal about the condition. But as a patient I am too nervous. Please help

I was suggested to take a complete month off from my work. I am worried of my drainage

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
Well everyone is different. My wound is also very close to the anus so we do have that in common. I have been placing gauze in between my cheeks towards the bottom of my wound. This helps to let it get air and also will soak up any unwanted moisture. That is what I do, but again, I’m not familiar with your situation. I would maybe try that and see how it works. Being off work 1 month seems excessive. I’m sorry to hear that. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and was back the following Monday. I hope this helps some.

Ohmygod

Country flag
Mine is very complicated pilodinal cyst, so he suggested I should take off for one month. Today I feel better. Stopped taking foods which causes constipation even though they have high protein. Switched to take protein fluids and fluid foods which have fiber in it. I did not feel any pain during my ball movement

Ohmygod

Country flag
My mom is continously cleaning the pus and blood coming out of those stiches ( may be bad blood accumulated) daily and covering it with 4*4 gauze.

Now currently I am not getting any fluid from the stich near my anus..so hoping that's healing

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
2 weeks post surgery- My recovery has exceeded any expectations I had. I am doing pretty much everything normally that I did before having pilonidal. The only exception is working out or over exerting myself. My overall wound is healing nicely and I’ve had no pain or drainage from the surgical sight at all. I unfortunately had a bout with diarrhea that lasted a few days recently. I think what caused it was the fact that I got my appetite back. The first week or so I was not hungry and didn’t eat as much as I normally would. I have been back to eating normally which may have confused my stomach. I don’t know this is just me speculating. Still though, no problems with the incision or living my every day normal life.

The holes that held my drain are still not closed all the way. This will be my last hurdle to overcome. Also, the tape holding the gauze seems to have irritated my skin a little bit. Once I have the hole closed and the gauze off, I think it will be the last thing I need to overcome.

Being the person I am, I’m not going to say that I’m healed. It has not been enough time for me to say that. I can tell you my spirits are higher than they have ever been after a surgery. I literally can do anything I want right now without hesitation. I don’t have to constantly check my underwear every hour like before. I’m going to keep trying to be positive and hope for the best!

I hope everyone keeps fighting this awful thing!

cystburgh

Very Helpful
Country flag
2 weeks post surgery- My recovery has exceeded any expectations I had. I am doing pretty much everything normally that I did before having pilonidal. The only exception is working out or over exerting myself. My overall wound is healing nicely and I’ve had no pain or drainage from the surgical sight at all. I unfortunately had a bout with diarrhea that lasted a few days recently. I think what caused it was the fact that I got my appetite back. The first week or so I was not hungry and didn’t eat as much as I normally would. I have been back to eating normally which may have confused my stomach. I don’t know this is just me speculating. Still though, no problems with the incision or living my every day normal life.

The holes that held my drain are still not closed all the way. This will be my last hurdle to overcome. Also, the tape holding the gauze seems to have irritated my skin a little bit. Once I have the hole closed and the gauze off, I think it will be the last thing I need to overcome.

Being the person I am, I’m not going to say that I’m healed. It has not been enough time for me to say that. I can tell you my spirits are higher than they have ever been after a surgery. I literally can do anything I want right now without hesitation. I don’t have to constantly check my underwear every hour like before. I’m going to keep trying to be positive and hope for the best!

I hope everyone keeps fighting this awful thing!

Congrats and its amazing not to have blood/pus draining nonstop.

Ohmygod

Country flag
Hi jonH21,congrats and very happy for you. In my case, I visited my doctor today which is 10th day post surgery. I don't know if it is bad news or good news..but my wound has reopened near anus..almost 6cm long. I keep on getting pus and blood from that area.. No pain though. Doctor said, it's very normal for patients and he also said that it can take months to completely heal. I took 1 month medical leave from my office.

I am pretty sure it will not heal in this 1 month. A big dialema in my life..doctor said not to worry and there is no need for another operation. My strong feeling is that this cleft lift operation also failed :(

I don't know where to go now. It's only 10 days post surgery so I am afraid of taking any big decisions ( moving to different doctor, he is my 4th surgeon). Will wait for some more time by putting faith in God.

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
Hi jonH21,congrats and very happy for you. In my case, I visited my doctor today which is 10th day post surgery. I don't know if it is bad news or good news..but my wound has reopened near anus..almost 6cm long. I keep on getting pus and blood from that area.. No pain though. Doctor said, it's very normal for patients and he also said that it can take months to completely heal. I took 1 month medical leave from my office.

I am pretty sure it will not heal in this 1 month. A big dialema in my life..doctor said not to worry and there is no need for another operation. My strong feeling is that this cleft lift operation also failed :(

I don't know where to go now. It's only 10 days post surgery so I am afraid of taking any big decisions ( moving to different doctor, he is my 4th surgeon). Will wait for some more time by putting faith in God.
Thank you I appreciate that. Things are going well but I’m not going to say I’m healed yet. Anything can happen. Just taking it day by day. I know your situation is disheartening and very frustrating. From what I’ve read and come to understand, the wound opening up near the anus is fairly normal. I’ve read many stories on here where it is just a small hiccup in the recovery process. Many have had this happen until they ultimately healed completely. I’ve even seen some highly regarded pilonidal surgeons mention it on their website even. They say it’s common. I know it’s frustrating but try to stay as positive as possible. Speak with your doctor and see what his next plan is. It may be fixable. How much discharge are you having? Is it blood or what? Some discharge is normal. Exudate is a normal part of healing this early on. Could it be that? Obviously it’s completely up to you what to do next. I’m no doctor. I personally would do as your current doctor says and see what he recommends. The grass is not always greener. I am sending positive thoughts your way! Keep me updated.

Ohmygod

Country flag
Thank you I appreciate that. Things are going well but I’m not going to say I’m healed yet. Anything can happen. Just taking it day by day. I know your situation is disheartening and very frustrating. From what I’ve read and come to understand, the wound opening up near the anus is fairly normal. I’ve read many stories on here where it is just a small hiccup in the recovery process. Many have had this happen until they ultimately healed completely. I’ve even seen some highly regarded pilonidal surgeons mention it on their website even. They say it’s common. I know it’s frustrating but try to stay as positive as possible. Speak with your doctor and see what his next plan is. It may be fixable. How much discharge are you having? Is it blood or what? Some discharge is normal. Exudate is a normal part of healing this early on. Could it be that? Obviously it’s completely up to you what to do next. I’m no doctor. I personally would do as your current doctor says and see what he recommends. The grass is not always greener. I am sending positive thoughts your way! Keep me updated.

Thanks for the positive thoughts :) Really appreciate it. The drainage is not too much. Mostly bad blood and pus. My doctor suggested me to keep faith on myself and do not stress. He just asked me to give some time to my wound and my body should heal that wound. He also asked me not to take any pain killers or antibiotic because I was taking too much of antibiotic since 2 years of my struggle. At one point my body rejected all oral antibiotics and I took IV antibiotics. As you said grass is not always green. I should give some time to myself and try not to stress myself on this. Time to watch Netflix !!!

Joanie

Country flag

Joanie

Country flag
What did the doctor do when your stiches split? My son has his appointment tomorrow. There is alot of splitting happening 2 weeks post op.

Luke Wade

Very Helpful
Country flag
What did the doctor do when your stiches split? My son has his appointment tomorrow. There is alot of splitting happening 2 weeks post op.

She said it happens 90% of the time and it's normal. Give it time for the split to heal, mine took about 6 weeks.

She also gave me some antibiotic gel that I applied a few times, I can't remember the name of it.