Cleft Lift - Is it worth it for a moderate case (CANADA)

Longterm

New Member
Country flag
A quick background

Active 25M, low body weight

While living abroad last year, I made the unfortunate discovery of pilondial disease. I was working 12-hour days in an office chair. I was in an asian country, where it isn't common, and had difficulties getting it treated (I&D). The doctors there concluded I needed surgery, but I should wait till i got back to Canada, as they would be more experienced. Now, back in Winnipeg, I'm having trouble getting a non-open wound treatment (or appointments, as usual for Canada...)

I have moderate pain some days, no pain others, but I can't sit for long, and I have noticed more pits forming in recent weeks. I know it's getting worse, and I'm growing weary of how it's affecting my job hunting and lifestyle. I also know a long-term recovery of 8+ weeks will probably be the death of me, with no work or ability to find it. i have enough in savings to swing for the cleft lift with Dr. Cowie in BC, and the idea of a never-healing wound scares the life out of me.

So, my question is
"Despite my moderate case (3+ sinuses/pits, moderate pain, no noticeable leakage) should I still do the cleft lift?"
my thought process thus far has been that if i have to travel anyway, I may as well get something definitive. Plus, the appearance to me doesn't really matter.
The finance is no issue, as i have saved aggressively for the last 5 years and can justify the cost, but i figured I'd put it to the people first

Thanks
 
I think your reasoning makes sense, especially if you’re already getting more pits and it’s starting to interfere with sitting, work, and everyday life. “Moderate” doesn’t necessarily mean it will stay moderate, so I wouldn’t look only at how bad it feels today.

If you’re going to travel anyway, I can understand wanting to go with a surgeon who has a lot of experience with cleft lifts rather than waiting months and potentially ending up with a bigger problem. The recovery period is obviously something to take seriously, but the prospect of dealing with an open wound for months would worry me more.

I’d probably get an assessment from the surgeon and ask specifically whether they think a cleft lift is appropriate for your current anatomy, rather than deciding based purely on the number of pits.

Has Dr. Cowie actually examined you yet, or are you still trying to get an appointment?
 
I'm still waiting to see the triage department in Winnipeg. As expected, it's been a waiting game. I still haven't been called for an appointment despite my doctor sending the request a month and a half ago.

If they don't give me a referal/clear timeline, I may go with the fellow in Montreal.

All I'm hoping for is surgery, and I'm getting very tired of waiting for it
 
Yeah, I can see why you’re getting frustrated with the wait. If you’re already getting more pits and it’s affecting your ability to sit, I’d definitely want to get a proper surgical opinion rather than waiting for it to get worse. Hopefully Winnipeg gets back to you soon.
 
Back
Top