Cleft Lift post op daily log

MissNewBooty

Country flag
You guys all helped me so much so I figured I’d also share my daily healing.

Some back story: I am a 35 year old female and had my first flare up at 21. I got it to drain by myself and had no issues up until this year, where it flared up 3x in 5 months (typically after sitting on hard surfaces for long periods). I got it to drain myself again with use of heat pads but the last time needed to have incision and drain by a general surgeon. She wanted to remove it via excision, but I knew there had to be a better way. I have Crohn’s disease and frequently get abscesses in my butt crack, (1-2 times a year) and assumed pilonidal cysts would just go away if I got it to drain. I was wrong. I saw 3 different surgeons so I could gather info and make an educated decision.

1) general surgeon: excision with open wound, daily packing. 50% chance of reoccurrence, painful process, chance that the wound never closes
2) plastic surgeon: excision and sewn shut, no packing or drains so worried about fluid buildup. Also chance of reoccurrence. The plastic surgeon only did two of these a year so
3) I finally found out about cleft lift procedures via vigorous googling. Then took days to find a surgeon who specializes it and came across Marc Brand. (Then I found you guys!) 99% success rate. I was super nervous because it IS invasive. I’m a pipe fitter for work and would not be able to perform my job until all restrictions are lifted after 6 weeks.

I had the cleft lift yesterday with Dr Marc Brand. I’m hoping this also cures the abscesses in other areas of my cleft (last year was perianal, doc noted it could be related to pilonidal? Unsure, and I never would go to him again- Dr Siavalis.

I will make a new post with day 1 dairy for you guys!

diseasedone

Country flag
You guys all helped me so much so I figured I’d also share my daily healing.

Some back story: I am a 35 year old female and had my first flare up at 21. I got it to drain by myself and had no issues up until this year, where it flared up 3x in 5 months (typically after sitting on hard surfaces for long periods). I got it to drain myself again with use of heat pads but the last time needed to have incision and drain by a general surgeon. She wanted to remove it via excision, but I knew there had to be a better way. I have Crohn’s disease and frequently get abscesses in my butt crack, (1-2 times a year) and assumed pilonidal cysts would just go away if I got it to drain. I was wrong. I saw 3 different surgeons so I could gather info and make an educated decision.

1) general surgeon: excision with open wound, daily packing. 50% chance of reoccurrence, painful process, chance that the wound never closes
2) plastic surgeon: excision and sewn shut, no packing or drains so worried about fluid buildup. Also chance of reoccurrence. The plastic surgeon only did two of these a year so
3) I finally found out about cleft lift procedures via vigorous googling. Then took days to find a surgeon who specializes it and came across Marc Brand. (Then I found you guys!) 99% success rate. I was super nervous because it IS invasive. I’m a pipe fitter for work and would not be able to perform my job until all restrictions are lifted after 6 weeks.

I had the cleft lift yesterday with Dr Marc Brand. I’m hoping this also cures the abscesses in other areas of my cleft (last year was perianal, doc noted it could be related to pilonidal? Unsure, and I never would go to him again- Dr Siavalis.

I will make a new post with day 1 dairy for you guys!
How are you doing these days?

MissNewBooty

Country flag
Awesome! The only issue I had was a small split in the top of my new cleft from wiping upwards. Happened twice.

Other than that, I’m fine. The scar is still sore with direct pressure, which apparently it takes a full year for that to go away. But not really an issue because who sits directly on their tailbone?

diseasedone

Country flag
I am so glad to hear you are doing well. I got a Limberg flap procedure on Monday. I know it is not the same procedure but some of the challenges are the same. It helps to read accounts like yours!

That is interesting about the wiping. These days do you use toilet paper or wipes? Right now I am using both.

I plan to use my travel pillow to sit when I am permitted to sit again. I don’t think I sit on my tailbone either but hard surfaces are no longer my friend.

MissNewBooty

Country flag
TP but I wipe to the side now lol I learned my lesson! And glad to hear you’re doing well!

I recommend slow walks to get blood flow, helps heal easier! Also helps mentally lol

diseasedone

Country flag
TP but I wipe to the side now lol I learned my lesson! And glad to hear you’re doing well!

I recommend slow walks to get blood flow, helps heal easier! Also helps mentally lol
Thanks for that tip. I went outside for a short time today because it has been days since I have left the house! I walked really slowly.

Snowcloud27

Country flag
Awesome! The only issue I had was a small split in the top of my new cleft from wiping upwards. Happened twice.

Other than that, I’m fine. The scar is still sore with direct pressure, which apparently it takes a full year for that to go away. But not really an issue because who sits directly on their tailbone?
Hi, I was just wondering how long it took for your splits to heal? I’ve got about a cm length split that is apparently superficial.

MissNewBooty

Country flag
Honestly a few days. Put antibiotic ointment and vitamin e oil 2-3x a day and cover w gauze. I can't stress enough the awesome benefits of vitamin e oil for fresh scars. Adding that was what made it heal up so fast