Cleft Lift Recovery Log 1-14-15

Jojo55

Helpful
Country flag
My sons (19 years old ) cleft lift surgery is scheduled in the morning at 10 AM in Nashville with Dr. Michael Hueneke we are both nervous and but ready to do it ! Hoping everything goes well and as planed ! We are driving into town a 3-1/2 hour drive so we will not be late in the morning and he suggested we go straight home after the surgery while he is still out of it . We will communicate through phone and email daily or when ever needed and go back to office in 10 days to get JP Drain out .
What we are most nervous about is that he has not had the pain that others have had before the cleft lift so hoping it is not to painful for him . He had pain in tailbone for 2-3 years but never anything showing outward although he had pits in his crack we don't know how long those have been there his cyst surfaced just this past Decemeber 1st !
Well here we go will update tomorrow !

ellysparkles

Very Helpful
Country flag
Wishing him a speedy and easy recovery!

Jojo55

Helpful
Country flag
Well surgery took about 40 minuites , he said the mass/cyst was pretty long and had 4 tunnels going to that one cyst .

He said that Tyler's cyst was the highest he had ever seen his was right under his waistband so his incision is longer and higher up . He also said that it was contained at the top part of his cleft nowhere near his BH which is great news .

when we got back to him he was on his back they showed me how to take care of the drain gave my prescriptions and we got on the road for our 3-1/2 hour drive . We will communicate thru email and phone as needed and go back the 24 th for drain removal and check up .

We are home now and he slept most of the way home said it felt weird but did not hurt . Tomorrow after lunch the bandage comes off and he can shower , he said they use dearabond and not the messy tape .
So I will come back in the morning for a detail of our first night home .

He has him on 2 antibiotics and pain pills also told him to take stool softners which we started tonight said to tell him he is not housebound if he wants to go and do things he can just becareful with the drain and nit to scoot out of bed or chair . He is not sitting any at all today and maybe not tomorrow either

Last edited:

BrianS

Helpful
Country flag
Sounds like things went well and it's great to hear that the cyst was not close to his anus. That is always a relief.

I know it took me a while before I was comfortable sitting, and even longer before I was very comfortable getting out of the house and moving around. I'm sure he'll do it at his own pace, but glad to hear things have gone well so far! I'll keep watching his progress!

Jojo55

Helpful
Country flag
Thanks Brian ! He said he is not sitting until he has to go to bathroom .
Last night was uneventful I gave him his pain meds thru the night though just to be cautious . He woke up with no pain except when the drain is moved .
Ate breakfast took 1/2 pain pill and is back asleep will check in after bandages come off and shower this afternoon

Last edited:

Jojo55

Helpful
Country flag
DAY ONE

Ok took bandages off and scar is very neat and what we expected . He still has not had much pain

No BM yet

No sitting yet

We did walk outside a few minutes and he stood and did things in the house .

Eating normally

He is having a little jaw and throat pain from the tube down his throat

Last edited:

Jojo55

Helpful
Country flag
DAY TWO

was also uneventful the drain hole is bothering him more then anything

His throat and jaw is still hurting a tad also

He perched for about 10 secs two times but just was not comfortable ,
he is eating normal

Still no BM which is a little concerning to me because he has the food from Tuesday , Thursday and Friday in there we have been giving stool softners so hopefully it will not be bad

He has had no leakage from the scar or the drain hole at all

Said today that dealing with the surgery was easier then dealing with the cyst draining and leaking everyday

Our insurance is going to pay as usual even though we went out of town we have to pay deductible and then 20% of everything so I will put the total out of pocket when I know it .

So hope that the next few days are not bad I have read a few stories where 3-5 or the worst !

Last edited:

Jojo55

Helpful
Country flag
DAY THREE

still no pain except throat ,jaw and where the drain is coming out but all light pain that Tylenol is taking care of it !

Still taking stool softeners

He did have a small BM but not a good one hoping for that tomorrow

He is sleeping pretty good and for sure eating as always , his blood sugar has been a tad high this morning and this afternoon

And something new that he felt last night and today is he feels his heartbeat in his incision has this happen to anyone else ?

Last edited:

BrianS

Helpful
Country flag
The bowel movement will come when it's ready, mine didn't happen until 7 days after surgery and I was in the bathroom for a while. Make sure he wipes forward, away from the incision. I know it's weird, but it keeps the incision area from getting dirty. Those adult wet wipes also help.

Isn't it amazing how much less painful the cleft lift is?! I was so worked up prior to surgery, expecting the worst, and in hindsight, everything went smoothly.

That's strange that he says he's feeling his heartbeat. Is it a constant throbbing? If it's just shooting pains, a lot of people (including me) have gotten those in the few weeks after surgery as things work themselves out down there.

Jojo55

Helpful
Country flag
DAY FOUR

Well woke up around 5 am saying he felt a little something back there so gave him a Tylenol stayed asleep until about 9 got up walked a bit perched a few minutes and then laid back down for a hour or so

He sat in his right cheek for a few minutes not long though

Drain is still draining but not as much and still hurts a tad

Throat and Jaw no longer sore

Eating as usual and still taking stool softners

BM had another today and it does not bother him at all because his incision is not near his bottom . He seems to be having a little more pain tonight not sure if this is the numbing wearing off or if it is usual to have a little more pain and soreness day four and five

He said he wants a pain pill before bed tonight

Jojo55

Helpful
Country flag
DAY FIVE

Well whatever the pain was he had the night before was gone when he woke up did not even need or want a Tylenol !

We went out a bit he laid in the back seat and sat on his right cheek ,also walked around Walmart and stopped and got something to eat and he sat fine although it was more in right cheek

The drain is still the only thing bothering him it comes out Friday which will be 10 days

BM has had one every morning since the first one with no problems the baby wipes make everything much easier

We are just thrilled and surprised about the pain or the lack of that came with this cleft lift !

Because he had no previous scary surgeries as others have had we were scared that this would be painful but it seems if more doctors would do this as the first surgery it would stop all the other terrible surgeries that others must go through .

We are so grateful that my googling (that everyone tells me not to do ) sent me to this page and to all of you that have helped . It is so great that some of you have hung around to help others !

Johnathan Irons

Very Helpful
Country flag
I actually got a small pulsating feeling around my wound a few days post surgery. I just lay on my front and it went away.
He sounds like he's doing great!