Cleft Lift Recovery

concernedman

Country flag
Hi everyone,
I got my cleft lift surgery a little over 2 months ago with Dr. Sternberg of San Francisco. I still have pain when sitting in my desk chair. Sitting on the couch is ok. Laying on my back is just somewhat uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and when I can expect it to go away. I also have a patch of swelling on the butt cheek that had the flap. The swelling is like a tube on the right butt cheek that doesn't seem to go down. It does not show up well in picures, but I was wondering if anyone experienced that as well.
Thanks!

Hey @concernedman ! I had my surgery 2 months ago as well (with Dr. Immerman). I still experience some discomfort when sitting in my desk chair. Couch is usually more comfortable. I do feel like it the pain has consistently improved (and is continuing to improve) over time, but I definitely still feel some pain. Does your pain seem to be getting better or worse? My gauge is not whether I am pain-free, but if it still improving/healing. I'd be curious to hear how long it takes for the area to feel fully normal again.

CoryB

Helpful
Country flag
It takes a few/several months for the discomfort to completely go away, but it will. I'm 3 years post cleft lift and never have any discomfort anymore even with sitting all day and working out.

My 2 sons had the cleft lift more than 2 years ago with Dr Wadie in Raleigh. I would say they were back to normal within a month. They both had numbness in the area that took about 2 months to go away. I think it depends on how bad your disease was and how long the incision.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
It takes a few/several months for the discomfort to completely go away, but it will. I'm 3 years post cleft lift and never have any discomfort anymore even with sitting all day and working out.
I'm getting cleft lift soon on 10th of April how long will it be until I can return to work

CoryB

Helpful
Country flag
It really depends on what type of work you do. If it's a non-labor intensive job, I would say a week or so. You will still have some discomfort, but it is bearable.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
It really depends on what type of work you do. If it's a non-labor intensive job, I would say a week or so. You will still have some discomfort, but it is bearable.
I work at amazon a lot of walking not much sitting at all only on my two half hour breaks I would sit down but it's mainly walk walk walk for 9hrs a day

CoryB

Helpful
Country flag
Gotcha! I would say 1.5-2 weeks just to be safe. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. You'll want to have the drain removed before heading back to work. I was walking around and such pretty quickly, but walking for 9 hours is pretty extreme.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Gotcha! I would say 1.5-2 weeks just to be safe. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. You'll want to have the drain removed before heading back to work. I was walking around and such pretty quickly, but walking for 9 hours is pretty extreme.
Yeah I thinks the plan I will be going sick for 2 weeks after I had my operation I can also cut my hour's down as well to start with and I get x3 rest day's and a lot of holiday hour's as well so if needed I can book time off as holiday until I've 100% got my strength back I really can't wait to get my cleft lift done on the 10th april it couldn't come sooner I've suffered so much pain with failed surgery's and my wound keeps reopening cleft lift I can't wait to put an end to this awful nightmare.

CoryB

Helpful
Country flag
I think that's a solid plan!

I'm sorry to hear you've had to go through failed surgeries. There is, however, light at the end of the tunnel! Having the Cleft Lift procedure done was the absolute best decision I made. You'll finally be able to get your life back and stop having to worry about something you shouldn't be worrying about.