Cleft lift surgeons in SC or NC?

drpepperholik

Country flag
Good evening everyone!

In short I’m looking for any personal experiences or recommendations for surgeons in SC or NC that do the cleft lift procedure.

I’ve found the husband and wife duo using the list on here that are located in Mt Pleasant SC, Drs Brendan and Margarita Murphy, has anyone had any experiences with them?

For the long story...made sort of short keep reading, otherwise there’s a TLDR at the bottom. I wanted to do a butt joke here but I’m having a brain fart.

In 2007 I had my first experience with a pilonidal cyst, I was 22 at the time and in college. I had some trauma to that area and some pain that I initially dismissed as a bruise but then I got a bump and redness. I was still living at home and asked my mom (a RN) about it and she said it was an abscess and looked like a pilonidal cyst. She took me to the doctor who confirmed that diagnosis and lanced and drained it while mentioning that it may come back. Sure enough it came back. I dealt with it coming back for 3 years, I had no insurance and wasn’t going to have my parents pay out of pocket if it wasn’t desperately needed. I’m grateful that my family doctor kept lancing and draining it when needed and put me on a low dose antibiotic daily for nearly the last year before surgery which helped reduce the reoccurrences.

In 2009 I got married and was on my husband’s insurance since I was doing contract work at the time so surgery time here I come. In 2010 I finally had the surgery I had been waiting for. It was a midline incision with excision and primary closure. The surgeon said he had to go down close to my tailbone to remove the entire cyst. To say I was relieved would be a gross understatement. For three years every time I walked in a room I felt like a reprogrammed T-1000, scanning every chair and sitting surface with my eyes while running an internal analysis using approximate height, seat depth and material composition of every chair, sofa and sitting surfaces to determine which one to claim. I still did this after surgery as it had become second nature, I was like a kid who never had sugar. Then it hit me, I was alone and in a candy store, I could sit anywhere I wanted and that’s when I began to shed the T-1000 armor and eat all the sugar in the room.

All was well for 7 years until mid to late August of 2017 when that familiar pain returned. I knew it was back and just went straight to the surgeon as I had a good job I recently started, a 5 year old and 7 month old so I didn’t have time to mess around waiting. Apparently the surgeon’s office could wait because it would be mid October before I could get in for an appointment. I decided I could wait as it wasn’t bad. A couple of weeks later I called asking to be notified of any cancellations, turns out there was one for that day so I took it. I received confirmation it was back. I scheduled surgery again but was hesitant since I was told the first time that it shouldn’t come back again but I needed to return to normal for my kids and I wasn’t wanting to go back to being a professional chair analyzer. Available dates for surgery were the next day or a month out. I opted for the next day.

Second surgery was September 18th 2017 and in December I started having issues. It hurt like it was back so I made an appointment with my family dr who said it was infection and gave me a strong antibiotic. It got better but then mild pain returned whenever I’d sit wrong but I put it off. Eventually, I made an appointment with the surgeon again. Turns out the incision opened up a little and wasn’t healing so he applied the silver nitrate stick which was the most terrible pain I’ve ever experienced in my life and I was in labor for 24 hours with pitocin and no pain medicine. I would rather be in labor again that experience that silver nitrate stick pain, but I digress. The cyst pain improved and the wound started healing again.

Ever since, I did have a slight knot but I avoided the surgeon like the plague after that horrible stick experience. It would have some mild drainage occasionally but nothing that seemed evident of an infection (odor, puss etc) so I put it off. Eventually in May of 2018 I decided it should have healed by now so I went to the family doctor as I wanted to begin laser hair removal but they needed the wound healed first. She swabbed it and sent it off to the lab for cultures but gave me an antibiotic as she said it was infected. The culture came back for strep and I was already on the right antibiotic. All seemed well.

I was off the 4th and 5th of July for the holiday so I caught up on Fallout 4 on the 5th. Late afternoon to early evening I felt a bruise like pain and assumed it was the way I had been sitting. Friday it was worse but not impossible so I went about business as usual. Friday evening it definitely had the familiar full feeling like a water balloon under the skin. The hole that was there had healed so the fluid had nowhere to go but build up. It felt devastating to have that pain back, not because it hurt but because I knew what it meant. I began to panic thinking we had to cancel our family vacation for August and I didn’t know what I was going to do other than avoid the same surgeon since I felt like it shouldn’t have come back so early. Saturday I got relief because it opened up on its own. The weak, recently healed skin had decided to give way to the building pressure behind it and the ballon popped.

It’s disheartening to know it’s back but at least it doesn’t require immediate attention so I have time to find a relatively close surgeon that’s experienced in the cleft lift procedure. I had been reading Dr Bascom’s publishings in various medical journals, my husband and I are convinced that it is at least worth looking into the cleft lift at this point. So I’m on the hunt for a surgeon experienced in the cleft lift that’s in SC or western NC.

Thanks for reading my little story.

TLDR: Issues in my butt tissues are back and I’m wanting to rid myself of this assfault disease by finding a cleft lift surgeon in the western Carolinas. Got any recommendations and/or personal experiences with one or two?

cystburgh

Very Helpful
Country flag
Good evening everyone!

In short I’m looking for any personal experiences or recommendations for surgeons in SC or NC that do the cleft lift procedure.

I’ve found the husband and wife duo using the list on here that are located in Mt Pleasant SC, Drs Brendan and Margarita Murphy, has anyone had any experiences with them?

For the long story...made sort of short keep reading, otherwise there’s a TLDR at the bottom. I wanted to do a butt joke here but I’m having a brain fart.

In 2007 I had my first experience with a pilonidal cyst, I was 22 at the time and in college. I had some trauma to that area and some pain that I initially dismissed as a bruise but then I got a bump and redness. I was still living at home and asked my mom (a RN) about it and she said it was an abscess and looked like a pilonidal cyst. She took me to the doctor who confirmed that diagnosis and lanced and drained it while mentioning that it may come back. Sure enough it came back. I dealt with it coming back for 3 years, I had no insurance and wasn’t going to have my parents pay out of pocket if it wasn’t desperately needed. I’m grateful that my family doctor kept lancing and draining it when needed and put me on a low dose antibiotic daily for nearly the last year before surgery which helped reduce the reoccurrences.

In 2009 I got married and was on my husband’s insurance since I was doing contract work at the time so surgery time here I come. In 2010 I finally had the surgery I had been waiting for. It was a midline incision with excision and primary closure. The surgeon said he had to go down close to my tailbone to remove the entire cyst. To say I was relieved would be a gross understatement. For three years every time I walked in a room I felt like a reprogrammed T-1000, scanning every chair and sitting surface with my eyes while running an internal analysis using approximate height, seat depth and material composition of every chair, sofa and sitting surfaces to determine which one to claim. I still did this after surgery as it had become second nature, I was like a kid who never had sugar. Then it hit me, I was alone and in a candy store, I could sit anywhere I wanted and that’s when I began to shed the T-1000 armor and eat all the sugar in the room.

All was well for 7 years until mid to late August of 2017 when that familiar pain returned. I knew it was back and just went straight to the surgeon as I had a good job I recently started, a 5 year old and 7 month old so I didn’t have time to mess around waiting. Apparently the surgeon’s office could wait because it would be mid October before I could get in for an appointment. I decided I could wait as it wasn’t bad. A couple of weeks later I called asking to be notified of any cancellations, turns out there was one for that day so I took it. I received confirmation it was back. I scheduled surgery again but was hesitant since I was told the first time that it shouldn’t come back again but I needed to return to normal for my kids and I wasn’t wanting to go back to being a professional chair analyzer. Available dates for surgery were the next day or a month out. I opted for the next day.

Second surgery was September 18th 2017 and in December I started having issues. It hurt like it was back so I made an appointment with my family dr who said it was infection and gave me a strong antibiotic. It got better but then mild pain returned whenever I’d sit wrong but I put it off. Eventually, I made an appointment with the surgeon again. Turns out the incision opened up a little and wasn’t healing so he applied the silver nitrate stick which was the most terrible pain I’ve ever experienced in my life and I was in labor for 24 hours with pitocin and no pain medicine. I would rather be in labor again that experience that silver nitrate stick pain, but I digress. The cyst pain improved and the wound started healing again.

Ever since, I did have a slight knot but I avoided the surgeon like the plague after that horrible stick experience. It would have some mild drainage occasionally but nothing that seemed evident of an infection (odor, puss etc) so I put it off. Eventually in May of 2018 I decided it should have healed by now so I went to the family doctor as I wanted to begin laser hair removal but they needed the wound healed first. She swabbed it and sent it off to the lab for cultures but gave me an antibiotic as she said it was infected. The culture came back for strep and I was already on the right antibiotic. All seemed well.

I was off the 4th and 5th of July for the holiday so I caught up on Fallout 4 on the 5th. Late afternoon to early evening I felt a bruise like pain and assumed it was the way I had been sitting. Friday it was worse but not impossible so I went about business as usual. Friday evening it definitely had the familiar full feeling like a water balloon under the skin. The hole that was there had healed so the fluid had nowhere to go but build up. It felt devastating to have that pain back, not because it hurt but because I knew what it meant. I began to panic thinking we had to cancel our family vacation for August and I didn’t know what I was going to do other than avoid the same surgeon since I felt like it shouldn’t have come back so early. Saturday I got relief because it opened up on its own. The weak, recently healed skin had decided to give way to the building pressure behind it and the ballon popped.

It’s disheartening to know it’s back but at least it doesn’t require immediate attention so I have time to find a relatively close surgeon that’s experienced in the cleft lift procedure. I had been reading Dr Bascom’s publishings in various medical journals, my husband and I are convinced that it is at least worth looking into the cleft lift at this point. So I’m on the hunt for a surgeon experienced in the cleft lift that’s in SC or western NC.

Thanks for reading my little story.

TLDR: Issues in my butt tissues are back and I’m wanting to rid myself of this assfault disease by finding a cleft lift surgeon in the western Carolinas. Got any recommendations and/or personal experiences with one or two?

I saw a few people post about a dr in NC.
https://www.wakemed.org/physician-practices-pilonidal-disease

Hopefully one of them reads this and can chime in about their experiences.
If you opt for another surgery based upon your experience I would go the cleft lift route and I would try to have this performed by a top doc recommended from this site. I would not risk another surgery with any previous doctor you had perform your surgeries as if any of them informed you it would not come back they have no clue about pilonidal.

drpepperholik

Country flag
I saw a few people post about a dr in NC.
https://www.wakemed.org/physician-practices-pilonidal-disease

Hopefully one of them reads this and can chime in about their experiences.
If you opt for another surgery based upon your experience I would go the cleft lift route and I would try to have this performed by a top doc recommended from this site. I would not risk another surgery with any previous doctor you had perform your surgeries as if any of them informed you it would not come back they have no clue about pilonidal.

I’m definitely not going back to the same surgeon. The doctor you sent the link for is nearly 4 hours from me. I don’t know anything about traveling for surgery so that’s a whole new area for me. When traveling for surgery how long do you need to be away?

cystburgh

Very Helpful
Country flag
I’m definitely not going back to the same surgeon. The doctor you sent the link for is nearly 4 hours from me. I don’t know anything about traveling for surgery so that’s a whole new area for me. When traveling for surgery how long do you need to be away?

This is probably a question you need to ask the doctor. Some people have flown great distances to see pilo surgeons that perform the cleft lift and I have seen them stay from 3 days to 1 week. It is your call with finding someone "local", but if I were in your shoes I would want to travel to the best.

drpepperholik

Country flag
This is probably a question you need to ask the doctor. Some people have flown great distances to see pilo surgeons that perform the cleft lift and I have seen them stay from 3 days to 1 week. It is your call with finding someone "local", but if I were in your shoes I would want to travel to the best.

I noticed on the link that he trained with Dr Bascom before relocating to NC and that speaks volumes to me and is not any further than going to Drs Murphy in SC. The NC guy is my top choice so far but I will have to see what they say regarding traveling.

gogojojo

Very Helpful
Country flag
My 18 y/o son had very extensive pilonidal disease.
He had the cleft lift procedure done on 5/24/18 at Wake-Med Raleigh, by Dr. George Wadie in Raleigh, NC. Everything is going very well and he has healed nicely. We drove 4.5 hours (one way) across the state to see this surgeon.
Dr. Wadie trained with Dr. Bascom in Oregon. He is a huge proponent of the cleft lift procedure for curing pilonidal disease.
Dr. Wadie is listed as a pediatric general surgeon, but he performs the cleft lift on adults as well.

27Quincey

Country flag
My 16 year old son had a cleft lift by Dr Wadie on June 28th. He had his 2 week follow up today and can return to full activities-including football. The cleft lift was his first and hopefully only surgery. We drove 2 1/2 hrs to see Dr Wadie-worth the trip. My husband and I both work for a hospital system and the surgeons we consulted within our system wanted to leave his wound open to heal from the inside out. This didn’t sound like the best fit for our son. He had minimal pain after surgery and the recovery has been a breeze. I would definitely recommend Dr Wadie and the staff at Capital City Surgery Center.

27Quincey

Country flag
I also wanted to add that we drove to Raleigh the night before surgery. The surgery was Thursday morning -we were back on the road home around noon. They gave my son a dose of pain meds before we left and he just put the seat back and slept on the way home. He only required ibuprofen after 24hours. Pain was minimal. My husband pulled his drain on Monday.

drpepperholik

Country flag
My 18 y/o son had very extensive pilonidal disease.
He had the cleft lift procedure done on 5/24/18 at Wake-Med Raleigh, by Dr. George Wadie in Raleigh, NC. Everything is going very well and he has healed nicely. We drove 4.5 hours (one way) across the state to see this surgeon.
Dr. Wadie trained with Dr. Bascom in Oregon. He is a huge proponent of the cleft lift procedure for curing pilonidal disease.
Dr. Wadie is listed as a pediatric general surgeon, but he performs the cleft lift on adults as well.

Thank you for the reply! I am about 4 hours away from Raleigh area but at this point my husband and I are willing to travel some for a “cure”. Did you stay overnight in Raleigh before and/or after surgery?

I did actually call them this morning to ask if they do this surgery on adults as I am not a pediatric patient and they did confirm he will see adults for pilonidal issues.

How was hospital/surgery center staff and facility? His office staff?

gogojojo

Very Helpful
Country flag
We drove from Asheville to Raleigh and back in one day for the consultation.
We rented an Airbnb for two nights for the surgery. We drove to Raleigh the day before surgery, and stayed in Raleigh the night after surgery. Drove back home the next day.
Drove to Raleigh and back again for the post-op visit.
Lots of driving, but well worth it to see a surgeon specializing in the cleft lift.
Dr. Wadie and his nurses are great about communicating with patients online via MyChart (you can send photos as well), especially for those driving from out of town.
He usually performs this procedure at Capital City Surgery Center, but due to my son having some previous anesthesia allergy issues, he chose to operate at Wake-Med Raleigh Campus.

drpepperholik

Country flag
My 16 year old son had a cleft lift by Dr Wadie on June 28th. He had his 2 week follow up today and can return to full activities-including football. The cleft lift was his first and hopefully only surgery. We drove 2 1/2 hrs to see Dr Wadie-worth the trip. My husband and I both work for a hospital system and the surgeons we consulted within our system wanted to leave his wound open to heal from the inside out. This didn’t sound like the best fit for our son. He had minimal pain after surgery and the recovery has been a breeze. I would definitely recommend Dr Wadie and the staff at Capital City Surgery Center.

Thanks for the reply and info on your experience with Dr Wadie! I am definitely leaning more towards going to see him. I am just wanting to work it around my work schedule and try to schedule surgery for the 2 weeks I’m off in December so I have enough time to recover before going back to work.

A friend had an open surgery done here in town (not same surgeon that did my surgeries) and he had a huge hole that he could put his fist in. He got a blood clot in it and was in a lot of pain. They eventually did another surgery to close the wound but he was out of work for one to two months. His second surgery looks like a flap type surgery but it looks awful, not a cleft lift. You did the best thing avoiding the drs that wanted to leave an open wound.

I’ve got 2 boys and I told my husband that if either of them are blessed to have my genes and get pilonidal cysts they are getting surgery sooner than I did and not having to wait 3 years and they are getting the right surgery the first time, he completely agreed after going through this with me all these years.

drpepperholik

Country flag
We drove from Asheville to Raleigh and back in one day for the consultation.
We rented an Airbnb for two nights for the surgery. We drove to Raleigh the day before surgery, and stayed in Raleigh the night after surgery. Drove back home the next day.
Drove to Raleigh and back again for the post-op visit.
Lots of driving, but well worth it to see a surgeon specializing in the cleft lift.
Dr. Wadie and his nurses are great about communicating with patients online via MyChart (you can send photos as well), especially for those driving from out of town.
He usually performs this procedure at Capital City Surgery Center, but due to my son having some previous anesthesia allergy issues, he chose to operate at Wake-Med Raleigh Campus.

You’re close to me, I’m in upstate SC so our drive time is fairly similar.

I’m willing to make the drive to see the right person that will hopefully make this go away for good.

I’d prob do the same thing for either of my boys if they have this problem. Hopefully they won’t get my luck but if they do I’ll be well prepared in what to do.

Nana Tadros

Country flag
Dr Wadie is Raleigh now opened a new practice dedicated to pilonidal disease. He is amazing. For those of you in NC or SC please do not hesitate to ho to him. He gave my 2 sons their lives back after so many failed surgeries and misery. He used to be at Wakemed and Wakemed still has his name on a pilonidal center there but his actual center is Carolina Pilonidal Center. His website is pilonidalsurgery.org