Cleft lift under Senapati

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
So my cleft lift is completed I had it done today under spinal anesthesia, with asha senapati in Portsmouth, at the moment I can't feel anything I can't feel my legs because of the anesthesia gotta wait 2hrs to feel movement again, she shaved the area of hair, cut away all the infected tissue I was awake during the operation and was aware of what was going on around me but I had to lay flat on my tummy only pain I felt was in my neck and jaw.

She has put a drain in which needs to be taken out on Wed's local gp can't do it, I will update further on my Road to recovery as the weeks goes on.

All the theatre staff were fantastic they keep checking on me throughout the operation it took about 45 mins to 1hr than 20 mims in recovery.

If you're coming to spire in Portsmouth for the operation you need to follow all the strict rules take a covid swab test and it needs to be negative and you need to self isolate for 3 day's

That's pretty much it I'm staying in Portsmouth until my drain is taken out and I will update further on my recovery when I know more.

Unknown2

Very Helpful
Country flag
That’s good to hear you have had the procedure done hope you recover as soon as your quite brave to have the op whilst awake keep us updated on how things are going

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
That’s good to hear you have had the procedure done hope you recover as soon as your quite brave to have the op whilst awake keep us updated on how things are going
Thank you for you're kind words I hope you get you're operation done soon, it's still too early to say how the actual cleft lift is once the drain is taken out on Wednesday I should hopefully be on the road to full recovery.

But I can tell you this it is not pain free lol I thought it would be a walk in the park boy was I wrong still sheer agony getting dressed is the worst and I been told I can't shower until drain is out, I be discharged from hospital 11am today than I be checking into the bed and breakfast I update more on Wednesday when the drain is out.

Unknown2

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yes hopefully I get seen soon how big is the drain is it placed on the side of the butt cheek and how far Down does the scar go

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Good to hear! The thought of having it whilst you're awake freaks me out a bit, not sure how I'd cope with that. Hope the pain starts to decrease and you can start recuperating properly.

Also, grim question, but how is it going to the toilet? I think this is what caused me to have issues with my wound early doors after my operations

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yes hopefully I get seen soon how big is the drain is it placed on the side of the butt cheek and how far Down does the scar go
I honestly can't see the scar yet, because there is a tapped dressing in place the drain goes from the top of the bottom down to you're leg you have to carry the drain around everywhere with you and it's filling up with blood, once it's fully full you need to change it I've been given instructions on how to change the drain but Senapati told me it shouldn't need to.

Once the drain is removed they said there might be leakage coming out they said don't worry about that as it's normal just use soft gauze dressings to put over it incase of any leakage and it feels so good to be checked out of hospital was bit annoying all night waking me up.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Good to hear! The thought of having it whilst you're awake freaks me out a bit, not sure how I'd cope with that. Hope the pain starts to decrease and you can start recuperating properly.

Also, grim question, but how is it going to the toilet? I think this is what caused me to have issues with my wound early doors after my operations
I'm not going to lie but getting to the bathroom last night was next to impossible getting up from the bed my buttocks hurt so much I had to get the nurse to help me stand up with a walking frame, I had to use one of them hospital bottles to wee, I haven't had to go for a number 2 yet thank god I'm scared too.

Truth of the matter is although cleft lift is the best surgery it's the recovery after it's done I thought it would be easy but it's not and carrying around a drain with blood in it is nerve recking.

As for having it done awake it was my request but Senapati wants it done under general anaesthetic she wasn't happy that I choose spinal lol but it's not upto her I just have a fear of being put to sleep and to be honest whilst I was awake I had a nap during it as I was tired but I was aware what was going on around me and they we're playing calming music

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag

I've copied out and pasted my hospital letter instructions for after the cleft lift operation.

instructions for cleft lift after op.

1.you do not need to see you're gp or nurse after the operation.
2.you will leave the hospital with a drain in the wound for 5 day's the hospital will arrange to remove it.
3.do not shower or bath until the drain is removed.
4.you have stitches in the wound that do not need to be removed they absorbable.

5.sometimes the wound opens up after operation please do not worry this allows leakage to be released just place dressings over the wound to soak up leakage the wound than heals over the next few weeks.
6.do not take any heavy exercise for next 8 weeks such as jogging riding cycling gym contact sports.
7.if you are in employment you need sickness note usually two weeks is sufficient

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yeah going to the loo is a real fear. I'm guessing they can give you stuff to make it easier? Good luck and will keep track of this topic for updates

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yeah going to the loo is a real fear. I'm guessing they can give you stuff to make it easier? Good luck and will keep track of this topic for updates
I'm now recovering in the bed and breakfast I've got so many pain tablets I can't keep up with them, lol I find laying on my side is best tried to lay on my back hurt like hell, I am starting to walk around a bit more now, I walked from my bed to the table to make a cup of tea but standing up waiting for the kettle to boil it started to hurt as I got back on the bed felt much better laying on side pain free.

Try to lay on you're side when you have the drain done I will keep you updated on Wed's I've copied and pasted out my hospital letter above you're message it explains few key points after the operation.

Last edited:

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yeah I actually had a drain after my second op for a few days. Such a strange feeling! Thankfully I sleep on my front so that makes things a bit easier

Unknown2

Very Helpful
Country flag
I'm now recovering in the bed and breakfast I've got so many pain tablets I can't keep up with them, lol I find laying on my side is best tried to lay on my back hurt like hell, I am starting to walk around a bit more now, I walked from my bed to the table to make a cup of tea but standing up waiting for the kettle to boil it started to hurt as I got back on the bed felt much better laying on side pain free.

Try to lay on you're side when you have the drain done I will keep you updated on Wed's I've copied and pasted out my hospital letter above you're message it explains few key points after the operation.
That’s good to hear you are recovering I think the first few days are always the most difficult to deal with laying on the side is the best i still lay on my side to this day it definitely helps

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
That’s good to hear you are recovering I think the first few days are always the most difficult to deal with laying on the side is the best i still lay on my side to this day it definitely helps
How about yourself when are you seeing Senapati? She's doing operations again now she did 1 surgery before me yesterday I was 2nd on her list. And she went home by 6pm my surgery finished at 2pm I think she had a long list. I was thinking was you being done yesterday.

Unknown2

Very Helpful
Country flag
I’m not sure I’m probably still on a wating list when I went to See her she said she would put me on st Mark’s and queen Alexandra’s wating list whatever comes first she said take it I hope I get seen as soon as possible it has really caused me a lot of problems in my life

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
I’m not sure I’m probably still on a wating list when I went to See her she said she would put me on st Mark’s and queen Alexandra’s wating list whatever comes first she said take it I hope I get seen as soon as possible it has really caused me a lot of problems in my life
Other than the sheer agony pain and the annoying drain it is the best operation and you will benefit from it, my pain is decreasing per hour I don't know if it's my pain tablet's or just healing up, but compared to this morning and yesterday I'm starting to feel less pain with it and I'm trying get up and walk about a bit as it's not good to lay in bed all day.

Once you get a chance to have the operation it will change you're life for sure.

ralipotso

Very Helpful
Country flag
How long have you been on her waiting list? Are you through NHS or private? I was really hoping she could get through quickly

KingofPain

Helpful
Country flag
I’ve spoken to her assistant couple of weeks ago to see when they can fit me in. I’m on the waiting list as a private patient... She said that there’s a long waiting list but they do have some short notice dates. I said I’m available whenever, I told my work that I’m going to have this surgery done so they know I can be off for a couple of weeks at any point. I’m also on a waiting list at RSH hospital in Southampton, but the surgeon there just want to perform a closed incision... I’m curious as to which one comes available first, though I’d much rather have the cleft lift by Senapati.
One way or another, I’m getting married in October and I want it gone by then!

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Trouble is because of covid it's delayed everything I hope you guy's get you're operations soon I would enquire at Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth nhs see if they will be starting operations again as everything is starting to reopen up again, I wish you all the best of luck that you hear something soon and get an appointment date for you're ops.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
I’ve spoken to her assistant couple of weeks ago to see when they can fit me in. I’m on the waiting list as a private patient... She said that there’s a long waiting list but they do have some short notice dates. I said I’m available whenever, I told my work that I’m going to have this surgery done so they know I can be off for a couple of weeks at any point. I’m also on a waiting list at RSH hospital in Southampton, but the surgeon there just want to perform a closed incision... I’m curious as to which one comes available first, though I’d much rather have the cleft lift by Senapati.
One way or another, I’m getting married in October and I want it gone by then!
I would honestly go with cleft lift, don't do incision you have a high failure rate and it just keep reopening I suffered since 2015 with incisions 3 failed surgery's and it never healed,

Senapati removed all my failed scar tissues from my past failed surgery's.

And I'm getting stronger now since Saturday taking less pain tablets and slowly starting to walk again I'm amazed at how fast my healing rate is.