AmandaKathrine

Country flag
I’m finally completely fed up with my polinidal cyst. I am planning on calling a surgeon soon and booking an appointment to discuss my options regarding the cyst.
From what I understand there are multiple ways to deal with the cyst, such as just draining it and packing it, to full on removing it surgically. I want to know what option is best? And what are the healing processes like? I really would like to have the whole thing just fully removed, because I’d like to believe that the chances of the cyst coming back are small. The healing process looks to be very lengthy, and it seems like there’s a lot you need to do to keep it clean and well... or are all healing processes for all options similar?
I also have very low pain tolerance, so what option would be recommended for me? Does it all hurt the same no matter what?
I suppose my surgeon would have the best option in mind, but I’d like to have some input from the community on all the different options, along with the healing processes and if the cysts tend to come back or not.

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
I am not a doctor so what I say is 100% based on just my personal experiences. If you have any questions regarding your specific situation you should consult with a doctor. I’ve had 4 surgeries for my condition which started in 2014. If you want to have the best chance at completely taking care of this issue, I’d suggest looking into the cleft lift. However, not all cases are the same and yours may be different and may not require that. The cleft lift surgery gets to the root of the problem and has the highest chance of NON recurrence. It shallows the cleft which promotes healing. The recovery is also not as bad as most open or closed incisions. Any way you look at it, you’ll have at least some pain you’re going to have to deal with. You should know that going into any surgery. After 3 prior failed surgeries, I decided to try the cleft lift. I’m only 11 days post op, so I’m by no means out of the woods. It could come back, it could not. But so far I feel good. The pain I had faded after just a few days. In my opinion this is your best option. I think many others would agree. But like is said, every case is different so you need to consult with an experienced doctor. Make sure you do your homework and find someone experienced with pilonidal disease. I found my surgeon on this very website and reached out to him. He’s fantastic and I would highly recommend reaching out to him. Dr. Immerman in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I wish you all the best and hope you get this cured.

Last edited:

decadeofpain

Country flag
I did cleft lift in August of 2014 and the bottom opened and I believe that was influential in the return as it didn't correct the root cause which is a deep cleft.

The surgery is mostly painless. I was dealing with this for 10 years before I sought surgery so my case was advanced and the cyst well established as was my pain tolerance. A pilonidal infected gives off way more pain than the surgery. I can only speak for cleft lift as this was my only surgery I had.

As I said the bottom opened on mine, which happens, so the recovery was much longer. Was at the wound clinic for a few months after surgery.

I regained feeling to the area about a year after surgery.

Good Luck

cystburgh

Very Helpful
Country flag
Many ppl are healed by open/closed excisions but those who arent find this site. Personally after having failed excisions i dont see the point even if it would have worked for me. The recovery is not easier than a cleft lift. For me personally the healing for the cleft lift was by far the easiest. It involved no help from a caretaker. There are diff levels of expertise with any surgeons thus a cleft by 1 doc may not be like from another doc...same with any surgery really. Just find a doc you are comfortable with who can do the surgery you want. Most will want to do excision which is fine, but if i knew what i know now i never would have opted for that.

yogina2

Country flag
My son recently had surgery for a recurring pilonidal cyst with great success. Prior to this surgery he had a previous surgery in another state and was sent home to do his own aftercare. It did not heal because it was an open wound and very difficult to change dressings on his backside.He had no insurance for many years as he was a college student and so tried to manage on his own. Fast forward ten years. The cyst had long since recurred, he had a job and insurance and I was able to finally convince him to see a surgeon who specifically specializes in pilonidal cysts. Luckily, the surgeon operates at the hospital I work at. It is not an easy decision to send put your child, even an adult child, into the hands of a surgeon. I saw this doctor's success rate with pilonidal cysts. I saw his passion and dedication to his practice and his patients. My biggest fear was that this doctor would retire before my son could make an appointment to have surgery. Finally, the stars aligned. My son lived 8 hours away and was returning home for a short visit. I nagged him until he made an appointment. He called ahead to make an appointment and give details before being seen as a patient. He saw the doctor and was scheduled for surgery the same day. I was working that day and approached the doctor to tell him he was operating on my son and he told me it was the second longest pilonidal cyst he had ever seen but he had confidence that he would be successful. I replied that my wish was that he could heal and be able to date again. Surgery is an art form and you must choose your surgeon carefully. I took my son home and he was a bit loopy from the surgery but never experienced any pain. He had a drain that needed to be emptied several times a day but no activity restrictions. Because my son had to return to his job, the doctor actually opened his clinic for us on Saturday and removed the drain so my son could drive the 8 hours back home. My son healed beautifully and thanked me for recommending the doctor. He was extremely grateful and I saw his increasing self confidence return. Having this disease slowly erodes your sense of worth. It chips away at your self esteem. My son was recently single and the thought of dating intimidated him. How do you explain to your date that your have an open wound that sometimes oozes and secrete fluid? How do you become intimate when the time is right? You constantly worry that your clothing or bedding are stained. He tried many methods to "fix" the issue because he was desperate for a cure. I cannot imagine what this is like but I heard the desperation mixed with shame on so many occasions. My advice for anyone is this: Find the most qualified doctor who specializes in pilonidal cysts and get the correct surgery. Do not wait until the cyst grows and creates sinus tracts as my son did. Get it done correctly (surgically) the first time. Drive or fly to have the surgery if that is what it takes.
This post is my first. It is written with gratitude to the gifted surgeon, Dr. Immerman, of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. It is not an exaggeration to say that he handed my son back to the world whole and complete again. My son is now dating a beautiful, young lady and I am seeing him return to his former,charismatic, self confident demeanor.
I do not work for Dr Immerman. I gain nothing from recommending him other than an increased workload because I work at the hospital where he operates and I clean and sterilize surgical instruments.

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
My son recently had surgery for a recurring pilonidal cyst with great success. Prior to this surgery he had a previous surgery in another state and was sent home to do his own aftercare. It did not heal because it was an open wound and very difficult to change dressings on his backside.He had no insurance for many years as he was a college student and so tried to manage on his own. Fast forward ten years. The cyst had long since recurred, he had a job and insurance and I was able to finally convince him to see a surgeon who specifically specializes in pilonidal cysts. Luckily, the surgeon operates at the hospital I work at. It is not an easy decision to send put your child, even an adult child, into the hands of a surgeon. I saw this doctor's success rate with pilonidal cysts. I saw his passion and dedication to his practice and his patients. My biggest fear was that this doctor would retire before my son could make an appointment to have surgery. Finally, the stars aligned. My son lived 8 hours away and was returning home for a short visit. I nagged him until he made an appointment. He called ahead to make an appointment and give details before being seen as a patient. He saw the doctor and was scheduled for surgery the same day. I was working that day and approached the doctor to tell him he was operating on my son and he told me it was the second longest pilonidal cyst he had ever seen but he had confidence that he would be successful. I replied that my wish was that he could heal and be able to date again. Surgery is an art form and you must choose your surgeon carefully. I took my son home and he was a bit loopy from the surgery but never experienced any pain. He had a drain that needed to be emptied several times a day but no activity restrictions. Because my son had to return to his job, the doctor actually opened his clinic for us on Saturday and removed the drain so my son could drive the 8 hours back home. My son healed beautifully and thanked me for recommending the doctor. He was extremely grateful and I saw his increasing self confidence return. Having this disease slowly erodes your sense of worth. It chips away at your self esteem. My son was recently single and the thought of dating intimidated him. How do you explain to your date that your have an open wound that sometimes oozes and secrete fluid? How do you become intimate when the time is right? You constantly worry that your clothing or bedding are stained. He tried many methods to "fix" the issue because he was desperate for a cure. I cannot imagine what this is like but I heard the desperation mixed with shame on so many occasions. My advice for anyone is this: Find the most qualified doctor who specializes in pilonidal cysts and get the correct surgery. Do not wait until the cyst grows and creates sinus tracts as my son did. Get it done correctly (surgically) the first time. Drive or fly to have the surgery if that is what it takes.
This post is my first. It is written with gratitude to the gifted surgeon, Dr. Immerman, of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. It is not an exaggeration to say that he handed my son back to the world whole and complete again. My son is now dating a beautiful, young lady and I am seeing him return to his former,charismatic, self confident demeanor.
I do not work for Dr Immerman. I gain nothing from recommending him other than an increased workload because I work at the hospital where he operates and I clean and sterilize surgical instruments.

Dr. Immerman is the best at what he does. I whole heartedly agree with this.

yogina2

Country flag
Dr. Immerman is the best at what he does. I whole heartedly agree with this.
I am so glad that you found him! I had the rare opportunity to see his success rate with pilonidal disease before recommending him as a surgeon for my son. He really is a gifted surgeon.

AmandaKathrine

Country flag
I’m leaning more towards a cleft lift and was trying to look for more specialized surgeons (as the one I talk to is just a general surgeon). It seems there’s no surgeons anywhere near me that do cleft lift (I live in Ontario Canada). The closest one I’ve found is in BC, but that would cost a fortune that my family cannot afford. I’m not sure if I should go ahead with just an excision or not, I’ve read a lot of people’s stories and I haven’t seen a lot that say the excision gets rid of it forever. I’m thinking I should call the surgeon and have an appointment where he can explain what he’d do during my surgery or what my options are. I’m not exactly sure I am able to travel long distances at this point in time to visit specialized surgeons, and I certainly don’t have the money to do so. It seems my only option right now is to have the surgery and hope it doesn’t come back afterwards. I’m feeling kind of helpless here... I don’t want to get a surgery with a high risk of it coming back (aka putting me through months of pain for essentially no reason), but on the other hand it seems like the only option I can risk at this point.

Last edited:

AmandaKathrine

Country flag
It has flared up twice in the past 2 months. I really do not want to leave it alone much longer, I’m concerned it is just becoming worse and worse as time progresses. There’s not much else to do besides an excision, otherwise I have to leave it alone and just suck it up (I’d rather not). My father also had a pilonidal cyst. He had an excision and they left the wound open, sending a nurse to come and pack it every day, and as far as I know his hasn’t come back since. That was probably 14 years ago.

Aarna

Country flag
I’m leaning more towards a cleft lift and was trying to look for more specialized surgeons (as the one I talk to is just a general surgeon). It seems there’s no surgeons anywhere near me that do cleft lift (I live in Ontario Canada). The closest one I’ve found is in BC, but that would cost a fortune that my family cannot afford. I’m not sure if I should go ahead with just an excision or not, I’ve read a lot of people’s stories and I haven’t seen a lot that say the excision gets rid of it forever. I’m thinking I should call the surgeon and have an appointment where he can explain what he’d do during my surgery or what my options are. I’m not exactly sure I am able to travel long distances at this point in time to visit specialized surgeons, and I certainly don’t have the money to do so. It seems my only option right now is to have the surgery and hope it doesn’t come back afterwards. I’m feeling kind of helpless here... I don’t want to get a surgery with a high risk of it coming back (aka putting me through months of pain for essentially no reason), but on the other hand it seems like the only option I can risk at this point.
Hello dear,
My son is 18 years old, had two lancing !
He had on& off drainage from abscesse and dr suggested for definitive surgery! His surgery was scheduled at Rochester Mayo Clinic on 7 th June! Mayo surgeon said they only do open excession work marcipuraisation sorry for the wrong spelling! Any after lots of research and found this forum and found Dr Emmarman!
He did cleft lift on June 6th! Long story short, his stitch looks great ! But on and off bleeding from his drainage hole tube! The tube had been removed after six day of surgery!
Dr said the bleeding from tube hole will stop in timely manner! So far he is doing great ! Praying to God hope it won’t recur any more!
Grateful to dr Emmarman! Thanks to the website who helped me to found the great Dr!
You can send picture to Dr Emmerman! His medical staff can help you of any questions! They are super nice!
Good luck

Maddnotez

Country flag
This is such an amazing story, honestly is touching. Maybe I am just extra sensitive today haha.

So glad your son has gotten things taken care of and I hope i never comes back. I have noted the name of this Doctor and pray he is still operating if mine ever comes back.