Dr. Immerman - Surgery 11/26/19

mom2019

Country flag
My son (16) had the cleft lift surgery performed by Dr. Immerman today. Speaking from a mom's perspective, I can say without a doubt, Dr. Immerman is the correct surgeon if you decide to go with the cleft lift procedure. He was kind, thorough in his explanation, and comforting during a time of confusion for our family.

I only found out what a Pilonidal cyst was less than two weeks ago (11/13) when my son finally showed me his bum. To say I was taken back, would be an understatement. We went to see a general surgeon on 11/15, only to be told that they would cut out the area on his bum, leave a gaping open wound and my son would be strapped with a wound vac for the unforeseeable future. We had a close friend that just went through a similar surgery and had the open wound with the wound vac...it did not turn out well. She was strapped with the wound vac for 4 months, in extreme pain, loss of work and overall her mental health plummeted.

Needless to say, after the general surgeons appointment, this mom went straight home and googled everything one could learn about the Pilonidal cyst. After reading one horror story after another, I googled Pilonidal surgeons. Bingo, Dr. Immerman was the first doctor that caught my eye. I reached out to Dr. Immerman on a Saturday (11/16) through their online portal. To my surprise, only an hour later, I had an email from him asking me questions about my son. By Monday 11/18, I spoke to Dr. Immerman's office staff and had insurance being checked to see if ours was in their network. Amazingly, the stars aligned and my son was approved for the surgery through our insurance.

We are from Indiana and made the drive to Wisconsin yesterday 11/25. Met with Dr. Immerman this morning 11/26 at his office and then headed to the surgery center to have surgery at 11am. The surgery center is wonderful. Caring staff hands down. Silly things like great food at the Bistro and sending home a healthy meal for my son once he was discharged scores high in this moms book.

The surgery took roughly over an hour and a half. My son was discharged roughly at 2:30pm today. We came back to the hotel and he took a short nap. He was a bit wobbly at first, but now seems to have his wits about him. No pain as of yet, but I know the good doc put in long lasting pain meds during surgery, so he should be good for a couple of days. I believe the only obstacle he faces is the drain feeling awkward and the numbness of his bum. He sits but it seems like it bothers him, so he has ended up on his side mostly in bed.

I will try to post updates as they happen. I again thank the others that posted about their surgeries with Dr. Immerman. What a blessing to have the internet and forums like this to raise awareness about a disease I knew nothing about.

mom2019

Country flag
Day 2:

I would say day 2 I saw more discomfort, but he did sit quite a bit. Since we are in a hotel room, he is limited to the bed (slightly squishy) and a chair. He is eating normal, but has not had a bm as of yet. He has not said that his incision or the area hurts. Currently the only pain he has is back pain (from laying awkwardly on the bed) and headaches. He refuses to take the pain meds, so he has only taken Tylenol.
At night he slept restless. Again, mostly back pain. He did get about 5 hours of sleep.

Day 3 Morning:
He finally had the bm. I think that made him feel much better. His mood has also improved. Eating doesn't seem to be an issue. Will update later this afternoon.

mom2019

Country flag
Wanted to add that on Day 2 in the evening, my son did shower. I was so worried to look at the incision, afraid it was going to look hideous or his bum would look completely changed. Everything looks completely normal. So thankful for Dr. Immerman.

maura9900

Country flag
Great job doing the research and finding Dr. Immerman. My son had a cleft lift with Dr. Immerman in August, and he seems to be cured! He had an unsuccessful excision last December. This Thanksgiving I am
thankful that my son can sit at the dining room table... something he couldn’t do for 9 months until Dr. Immerman cured him!

mom2019

Country flag
Great job doing the research and finding Dr. Immerman. My son had a cleft lift with Dr. Immerman in August, and he seems to be cured! He had an unsuccessful excision last December. This Thanksgiving I am
thankful that my son can sit at the dining room table... something he couldn’t do for 9 months until Dr. Immerman cured him!
I am so very thankful that I found Dr. Immerman as well! So good to hear your son is doing well! That gives me great hope we won't have to think about this issue in the future! Blessings!

mom2019

Country flag
One week out and the drain was removed today by our family doctor. Needless to say, he was thoroughly impressed by Dr. Immerman's work and took down his name and practice information.
My son is doing great. He has been able to sit from day 4 to now for continuous periods. Walking seems to be more fluid.
Now for him to heal and be healthy!
Don't doubt yourself, go see Dr. Immerman!