First pilonidal cyst in middle age???

Mojojojo

Country flag
I am kind of freaking out here.
I’m a 52 y/o woman, very little body hair, regular exerciser, etc. While bathing, I discovered a small painless bump in the crack of my butt, above my tailbone a couple of days ago. The bump is small and reddish, like an insect bite.
Is this likely to be a pilonidal cyst? I’ve never had one before.
I might not even know of this condition, but my son had extensive pilonidal disease at age 18. His was bad. He had the cleft lift and it fixed it.
Is it possible to fix this without such a surgery?

Jillissa

Country flag
Does it hurt at all or has it changed over the last few days? I hope that it is better!
I am 56 and about a month after a fall on the ice, i developed a Pilonidal Cyst, abcess and all. I have none of the normal criteria for someone that is at risk but non the less, here I am. Its been almost 4 mos and i have another one now and the pain is excrutiating. Going to the dr. today. I truly hope and pray for you that this is not a cyst and just an insect bite!

Mojojojo

Country flag
Does it hurt at all or has it changed over the last few days? I hope that it is better!
I am 56 and about a month after a fall on the ice, i developed a Pilonidal Cyst, abcess and all. I have none of the normal criteria for someone that is at risk but non the less, here I am. Its been almost 4 mos and i have another one now and the pain is excrutiating. Going to the dr. today. I truly hope and pray for you that this is not a cyst and just an insect bite!
The bump isn’t painful at all.
The skin there is kind of dry feeling, but that could be due to the Tee Tree Oil and Witch Hazel I applied to it.
I put some hydrocortisone cream on it yesterday and it’s gotten a bit smaller.
This came about after I started cycling a couple of weeks ago. I thought it might be due to irritation from the bike seat.
I’ve heard of people developing pilonidal disease after a fall, driving a lot, or cycling.