Flying vs driving after cleft lift? Other tips for surgery?

hopeful_scared

Country flag
I have a cleft lift scheduled with Dr. Sternberg on June 9 :) I live in Los Angeles, so his office is about a 6 hour drive away. If I fly, it would be a 1.5 hour flight (plus time sitting on the runway, etc). Also my husband is coming with me either way to help.

The person I spoke to at Dr. Sternberg's office recommended flying since it's faster and "smoother" - but I was hoping for anecdotal advice. Has anyone tried driving for several hours after a cleft lift? She also said I could go home the night after surgery, but I wasn't sure if I should plan on extra days?

Any other tips on things to buy, plan for, etc?

thanks for any advice or tips!

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
I have a cleft lift scheduled with Dr. Sternberg on June 9 :) I live in Los Angeles, so his office is about a 6 hour drive away. If I fly, it would be a 1.5 hour flight (plus time sitting on the runway, etc). Also my husband is coming with me either way to help.

The person I spoke to at Dr. Sternberg's office recommended flying since it's faster and "smoother" - but I was hoping for anecdotal advice. Has anyone tried driving for several hours after a cleft lift? She also said I could go home the night after surgery, but I wasn't sure if I should plan on extra days?

Any other tips on things to buy, plan for, etc?

thanks for any advice or tips!
I can't give you the advice on flying, but what I do know is that after my cleft lift the car journey home was 1hr 20 mins and it was the most painful experience I layed on my side's In the car I would take lots of paracetamol and ibuprofen I think the plane seats won't be comfy with no leg room, you can't lay on you're side's in a plane it's going to feel extremely painful sitting I'm sorry say

hopeful_scared

Country flag
I can't give you the advice on flying, but what I do know is that after my cleft lift the car journey home was 1hr 20 mins and it was the most painful experience I layed on my side's In the car I would take lots of paracetamol and ibuprofen I think the plane seats won't be comfy with no leg room, you can't lay on you're side's in a plane it's going to feel extremely painful sitting I'm sorry say
Ah yeah that's what I was afraid of (the discomfort of the cramped plane where you can't move around however you need to). Did you drive home the day after your surgery?

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
Ah yeah that's what I was afraid of (the discomfort of the cramped plane where you can't move around however you need to). Did you drive home the day after your surgery?
I spent 5 day's at a local hotel because of the drain, in place I'm 6 week's since my operation and sitting for long periods of time is still uncomfortable hopefully in another 2 week's things will start getting a bit easier,

Everybody is different but the recovery time for cleft lift is 8 week's before you can do heavy exercise some people recover faster and some people it takes longer.

You're probably better of resting 1 night in the hospital or staying local at a hotel to gain the strength and try to lay on you're side's in the car my dad picked me up and drove me home and it was really painful for 1hr and 20 mins

hopeful_scared

Country flag
I spent 5 day's at a local hotel because of the drain, in place I'm 6 week's since my operation and sitting for long periods of time is still uncomfortable hopefully in another 2 week's things will start getting a bit easier,

Everybody is different but the recovery time for cleft lift is 8 week's before you can do heavy exercise some people recover faster and some people it takes longer.

You're probably better of resting 1 night in the hospital or staying local at a hotel to gain the strength and try to lay on you're side's in the car my dad picked me up and drove me home and it was really painful for 1hr and 20 mins
That makes sense, thanks for all the advice! Hopefully all goes well for you and the pain when sitting goes away eventually :) Can I ask who did your cleft lift?

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
That makes sense, thanks for all the advice! Hopefully all goes well for you and the pain when sitting goes away eventually :) Can I ask who did your cleft lift?
You're most welcome :)
Senapati did my cleft lift, she is the top surgeon in Europe I forgot to add you may have a drain in place for 5 day's and flying with a drain in place, full of blood might not be the best idea you gotta carry it around with you until they remove it.

hopeful_scared

Country flag
You're most welcome :)
Senapati did my cleft lift, she is the top surgeon in Europe I forgot to add you may have a drain in place for 5 day's and flying with a drain in place, full of blood might not be the best idea you gotta carry it around with you until they remove it.
True true, do you know what kind of drain you had (passive or active)? oh yeah I've heard of her on here! I'm far from Europe, so I think I'm going to see Dr. Immerman after all (it turns out that Dr. Sternberg doesn't take my insurance anymore). I know I'll be in good hands either way!

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
True true, do you know what kind of drain you had (passive or active)? oh yeah I've heard of her on here! I'm far from Europe, so I think I'm going to see Dr. Immerman after all (it turns out that Dr. Sternberg doesn't take my insurance anymore). I know I'll be in good hands either way!
Dr immerman I heard is very good in the USA you definitely be in good hand's, I think my drain was active as it was filling up in a bag with my blood, I had it in for 5 day's then the hospital removed it, my local nurses at home weren't experienced to remove the drain, so I made sure the hospital took it out, I would only advise that you're local nurses are experienced to remove the drain, you don't want to travel far again to remove it in 5 day's time.

Another 2 week's I will be able to lift heavy item's no leakage no dressings no infection the cleft lift is the best operation :).

Momo Baggins

Country flag
Hey there, I'll be getting my cleft lift with Dr. Immerman June 17! I've been scouring this forum looking for info on driving vs. flying too. Please know that one person's experience may be very different from yours. Most posts I have seen said that driving wasn't an issue and that they only experienced minor discomfort. It really depends on your body, though.

I have chosen to take my chances with driving (from Michigan so not too far) because flights were too pricey and I know I won't want to be in any crowded areas like an airport where someone could bump me. I know I will want the privacy of our car to recuperate. Just my two cents! I hope all goes well for you, feel free to reach out to me post-surgery and I can share with you my healing process.

hopeful_scared

Country flag
Hey there, I'll be getting my cleft lift with Dr. Immerman June 17! I've been scouring this forum looking for info on driving vs. flying too. Please know that one person's experience may be very different from yours. Most posts I have seen said that driving wasn't an issue and that they only experienced minor discomfort. It really depends on your body, though.

I have chosen to take my chances with driving (from Michigan so not too far) because flights were too pricey and I know I won't want to be in any crowded areas like an airport where someone could bump me. I know I will want the privacy of our car to recuperate. Just my two cents! I hope all goes well for you, feel free to reach out to me post-surgery and I can share with you my healing process.
hey thanks for the response, you're definitely right that a car would be more comfortable haha. Can I ask if you're having any problems with your insurance for the upcoming procedure? I hope all goes well and that you heal quickly!

Momo Baggins

Country flag
Hey, thank you! So far I haven't had any issues with insurance, Dr. Immerman was in-network for me (I have blue shield California through my job) and I believe I will end up having to pay the max copay ($2500) but that's all I really know so far. Are you having problems?

hopeful_scared

Country flag
Hey, thank you! So far I haven't had any issues with insurance, Dr. Immerman was in-network for me (I have blue shield California through my job) and I believe I will end up having to pay the max copay ($2500) but that's all I really know so far. Are you having problems?
I was, but I think it's resolved now. My insurance (United Healthcare) was saying that a preauthorization was required for the surgery, but it turns out it isn't since the procedure is being done in Wisconsin. This is my first surgery ever so all the insurance stuff has been somewhat overwhelming to say the least, lol

Momo Baggins

Country flag
I was, but I think it's resolved now. My insurance (United Healthcare) was saying that a preauthorization was required for the surgery, but it turns out it isn't since the procedure is being done in Wisconsin. This is my first surgery ever so all the insurance stuff has been somewhat overwhelming to say the least, lol
This will be my first surgery too! We can get through it together To be honest insurance stuff usually confuses me but all I had to do was call them, give them the Doctor info and surgery codes and it all went through from what I could tell.