laser hair removal before wound is healed

momofsonwithpc

Country flag
my son is seeing a different wound care dr. It will be two years soon that his wound is not healed. He has seen a plastic surgeon who does not think the wound is bad enough to do flap surgery etc

The new wound care dr in the same practice is treating it differntly. He is using silver nitrate once per week (2 times so far) and having my son wash the wound with mild soap and water and then rinsing well with hand held shower .

Only putting prisma in now no more hydrofera. I am shaving him more often and as best I can.

The doctor wants him to see a dermatologist about laser hair removal Has anyone else had this done before wound is completely healed (non healing wound) the dr feels this might be the reason it's not healing completely. Then the issue of iinsurance covering it hopefully as its not cosmetique but medical.

So has anyone had laser hair removal with good results?

Thank you for all responses.

Two years of wound care poor kiddo I’m so sorry you both are going through this. I don’t have any advice about the hair removal process because I’ve never had it done. I can say though that before my cleft lift surgery every time I would shave I just ended up getting my pilonidal more infected and swollen and as the hair grew back I would get a friction rash that made everything really uncomfortable so if your son is having a similar experience with shaving it totally makes sense to want to explore laser hair removal.

I know it may not be what you or your son want to hear, but have you considered a cleft lift with one of the experts people go to on this forum like immerman, wadie, etc? Unfortunately a lot of well trained and experienced surgeons just are not very knowledgeable about this disease so their recommendations can get confusing and may lead to more and more frustration with these non healing wounds :( keep us updated!

My son has very limited insurance so he has little say in what doctors he can see. He has not been able to work at his former job since surgery as he cannot sit, lift or pick up heavy items. I know he's depressed as all heck. I feel so bad for hm Waiting to hear from the laser people this week but seems the do more cosmetique than medical. Thank you.

I understand - the doctor I saw was out of network and I ended up hitting my out of pocket max with my surgery but I still believe that that total cost for me at least is less than what laser hair removal would cost out of pocket. I’m so sorry this is happening. If at all possible to look more into cleft lift surgeons I think it may be a good choice for you even despite the insurance situation. For me at least, I am already back to sitting many hours/day just 6 days after my surgery. Wishing you both the best.

My son has very limited insurance so he has little say in what doctors he can see. He has not been able to work at his former job since surgery as he cannot sit, lift or pick up heavy items. I know he's depressed as all heck. I feel so bad for hm Waiting to hear from the laser people this week but seems the do more cosmetique than medical. Thank you.
Hi! I did laser hair removal before my first failed surgery and it does not get rid of the hair, only reduces it. It did work though. It was $600 for six sessions. It feels like hot rubber bands snapping on your skin. If you want it gone forever, you have to do electrolysis. Neither are covered by insurance.

Have you tried to contact the insurance to see if you can get a single case agreement for a more experienced surgeon like Immerman or Wadie? It allows your son to use an out of network provider but the insurance company will treat the provider like an in network provider for billing purposes, etc. I was able to get access to my insurance company’s national in network providers to have my revision done three weeks ago out of state by Wadie.

my son is seeing a different wound care dr. It will be two years soon that his wound is not healed. He has seen a plastic surgeon who does not think the wound is bad enough to do flap surgery etc

The new wound care dr in the same practice is treating it differntly. He is using silver nitrate once per week (2 times so far) and having my son wash the wound with mild soap and water and then rinsing well with hand held shower .

Only putting prisma in now no more hydrofera. I am shaving him more often and as best I can.

The doctor wants him to see a dermatologist about laser hair removal Has anyone else had this done before wound is completely healed (non healing wound) the dr feels this might be the reason it's not healing completely. Then the issue of iinsurance covering it hopefully as its not cosmetique but medical.

So has anyone had laser hair removal with good results?

Thank you for all responses.
My insurance would not pay for my laser hair removal. Their reasoning: I could remove the hair by shaving.

I got the laser hair removal after a flap surgery so not the same situation.

I am surprised that the surgeon finds a flap surgery so drastic. Cleft lift is a flap surgery.

Back