Laser Treatment in Toronto (The Med Spa or BioFlex Rehabilitation Centre)

bbqpauk

Country flag
Hi everyone,

I've been suffering from an on and off pilonidal cyst for 6 years now. This recent flair up has been worse. No pain, but almost 24/7 draining for just over a month now so it has pushed me to seek longer term solutions that are not as invasive as open wound surgery. My cyst is just very inconvenient, not painful, so I feel the recovery time for that kind of surgery is just not worth it.

I'm located in Toronto Canada so I have heard of Dr. Slava Kim @ BioFlex Rehabilitation Centre and Dr. Anwar Morgan @ The Med Spa Toronto that conduct laser treatment surgery. Does anyone have any experience with either of them?

There is little information beyond this reddit thread a year ago regarding Dr. Kim and there are mixed reviews on Dr. Morgan. Some say he works while others say he is a nightmare.

I've currently booked just a consultation with Dr. Kim for tomorrow at 5pm and I will follow up in this thread.

bbqpauk

Country flag
I'm following this up for anyone searching now or in the future.

I decided to see Slava Kim @ BioFlex Rehabilitation Centre. The treatment consistent of Low Light Laser Therapy (LLLT) and would care. Each visit was 60 CAD and was covered under physiotherapy.

Dr. Kim was amazing when it came to wound treatment. Each time I came in he cleaned the area for me and shaved it as well. Each session involved the use of the LLLT as well. I visited 3 times a week for about 1 month.

The most effective tool he used were silver nitrate sticks. These are commonly used to treat infection. My cyst was infection and general antibiotics would not have done anything for me because there was a foreign object (hair) inside my cyst.

Eventually after the 2nd nitrate stick treatment, a massive wad of braided hair about half the size of my pinky finger came out (image not for the feint of heart). My cyst immediately receded and dried up.

I am so grateful I took a chance with Dr. Kim and avoided the incredibly invasive surgery that my GP recommended me. I saved myself months of agony and recovery and I'm able to return to my regular activities.

The next step is laser hair removal around the area.

If you are in the GTA and running out of options, I highly recommend seeing Dr. Kim. He is knowledgeable on this disease and very professional.

pielownyedull

Country flag
Thank you so much for the information. I'm also seeking laser treatment in Toronto, and am currently considering seeing Dr. Kim. I wanted to ask a couple further questions about your experience.

Have you had any recurrence since completing your treatment? Was this the first pilonidal treatment you underwent or did you have any surgery done in the past? Did Dr. Kim seem knowledgeable regarding pilonidal disease - has he treated many other pilonidal patients? (for whatever reason there is barely any information about him online).

Maybe a more involved question - afaik I've never had any drainage thus far, and if there is a sinus/opening, it is small enough that I can't see it. Would laser therapy be effective in these situations too, or is the utility more in closing an existing opening?

Thanks again!

bbqpauk

Country flag
Yes, it's the second post in this thread. It's been 6 months now and no issues or reoccurences yet.

bbqpauk

Country flag
Thank you so much for the information. I'm also seeking laser treatment in Toronto, and am currently considering seeing Dr. Kim. I wanted to ask a couple further questions about your experience.

Have you had any recurrence since completing your treatment? Was this the first pilonidal treatment you underwent or did you have any surgery done in the past? Did Dr. Kim seem knowledgeable regarding pilonidal disease - has he treated many other pilonidal patients? (for whatever reason there is barely any information about him online).

Maybe a more involved question - afaik I've never had any drainage thus far, and if there is a sinus/opening, it is small enough that I can't see it. Would laser therapy be effective in these situations too, or is the utility more in closing an existing opening?

Thanks again!
Sorry for the late response.

1. 6 months now and no reoccurences.
2. First treatment and no past surgery.
3. Yes he has. He showed me before and after images of other patients that underwent treatment.
4. His open wound treatment is really why I stay with him. I'm unsure about whether the lasers healed my cyst or not. But I'm sure 100% his wound treatment did. The silver nitrate stick he administered drew out the hair in the cyst, allowing it to close.

ruined

Country flag
Sorry for the late response.

1. 6 months now and no reoccurences.
2. First treatment and no past surgery.
3. Yes he has. He showed me before and after images of other patients that underwent treatment.
4. His open wound treatment is really why I stay with him. I'm unsure about whether the lasers healed my cyst or not. But I'm sure 100% his wound treatment did. The silver nitrate stick he administered drew out the hair in the cyst, allowing it to close.
Silver Nitrate sticks are not really for infection. What they do is burn over granulation tissue that most likely happens in these situations from sitting and putting constant pressure on the wound. With over granulation tissue there it stops the wound from healing, so silver nitrate burns that tissue away and lets normal granulation tissue come back which starts the healing process again. in fact healing is quite rapid after using silver nitrate. You'll notice alot of serosanguine fluid after using it, which is a good sign and a sign of healing process. That fluid is most likely what pushed out all that hair from yours.

bbqpauk

Country flag
Silver Nitrate sticks are not really for infection. What they do is burn over granulation tissue that most likely happens in these situations from sitting and putting constant pressure on the wound. With over granulation tissue there it stops the wound from healing, so silver nitrate burns that tissue away and lets normal granulation tissue come back which starts the healing process again. in fact healing is quite rapid after using silver nitrate. You'll notice alot of serosanguine fluid after using it, which is a good sign and a sign of healing process. That fluid is most likely what pushed out all that hair from yours.
Yes exactly, you can tell I'm not the doctor

pilo-guy

Country flag
I saw Dr. Morgan for a handful of appointments, so far the only difference it made was a slight period in the summer where it calmed down and also the area is now hair free but since then it's basically been constantly draining. I was thinking about giving Dr. Kim a try now that the area is free of hair. Is it worth it?

pilon5

Country flag
I saw Dr. Morgan for a handful of appointments, so far the only difference it made was a slight period in the summer where it calmed down and also the area is now hair free but since then it's basically been constantly draining. I was thinking about giving Dr. Kim a try now that the area is free of hair. Is it worth it?
I would, it's like $55 give it a try!

bbqpauk

Country flag
The laser is not painful. You can't feel it. Personally, my treatment was about 2 months.

But as I said in my post, it was Dr. Kim's wound treatment that cured my cyst, not the laser. If your cyst is open and leaking, then I would definitely recommend going.

He gives free consultation as well.

You can also claim the cost under physio or chiro coverage.

pilo-guy

Country flag
The laser is not painful. You can't feel it. Personally, my treatment was about 2 months.

But as I said in my post, it was Dr. Kim's wound treatment that cured my cyst, not the laser. If your cyst is open and leaking, then I would definitely recommend going.

He gives free consultation as well.

You can also claim the cost under physio or chiro coverage.
Hey thanks, I'm going in for a consult Friday after Dr. Morgan's treatment "sorta" failed me. Hoping this makes a bigger difference. My cyst is always cycling but it presents as a pimple that's constantly open, healing or filling up, not as the typical openings that I've seen so many times before.

PC_Random_2021

Country flag
Hey thanks, I'm going in for a consult Friday after Dr. Morgan's treatment "sorta" failed me. Hoping this makes a bigger difference. My cyst is always cycling but it presents as a pimple that's constantly open, healing or filling up, not as the typical openings that I've seen so many times before.
Hey would you mind sharing how your appointment goes tomorrow? I am interested in trying Dr. Slava as well.

Pilo 321

Country flag
Hi guys, So I discovered that I had a pilonidal cyst last week and I for some odd reason decided to try and pop it myself as I thought it was a boil, a nurse tried draining it and they gave me antibiotics. I live in London Ontario and Dr. Slavas clinic is 1 hour and 45 mins away. I want to go for treatment but I got university final exams in 2 weeks, can this wait till my exams finish or should I go earlier.

Also how much does it cost in total because insurance probably doesn’t cover it?

I know this is long but I appreciate if I get an answer

Thank you:)))

pilon5

Country flag
Hi guys, So I discovered that I had a pilonidal cyst last week and I for some odd reason decided to try and pop it myself as I thought it was a boil, a nurse tried draining it and they gave me antibiotics. I live in London Ontario and Dr. Slavas clinic is 1 hour and 45 mins away. I want to go for treatment but I got university final exams in 2 weeks, can this wait till my exams finish or should I go earlier.

Also how much does it cost in total because insurance probably doesn’t cover it?

I know this is long but I appreciate if I get an answer

Thank you:)))
Is your wound open or closed?
Its fine to wait, obviously sooner the better but he would most likely want you to do 3 treatments a week to start. It ranges in price $55-$75.

Pilo 321

Country flag
Is your wound open or closed?
Its fine to wait, obviously sooner the better but he would most likely want you to do 3 treatments a week to start. It ranges in price $55-$75.
My wound leaks pus and a bit of blood I just cover it with a bandage and go on with my day. I also put castor oil on irt I don’t know if that helps.

pilon5

Country flag
My wound leaks pus and a bit of blood I just cover it with a bandage and go on with my day. I also put castor oil on irt I don’t know if that helps.
He definitely can help with open wounds you can always call the office and maybe get in touch with him first I know its a long drive!