Minimally invasive laser procedure

jackie81818

Country flag
Hi all!

I’ve had a pilonidal cyst for 3 years now and am scheduled to have the laser procedure in a few weeks! It’s minimally invasive which I like.

Has anyone gone through this procedure? If so, how was your experience, recovery, etc?

I know this is a fairly new treatment for pilonidal disease but I would greatly appreciate any information!

IndyDad

Country flag
Dr. Govekar? He did mine at Rush October last year. Was great. Nearly painless! Couldn't be happier. Had mine over 15 years before he did it. Couldn't wait any longer. I was his first laser patient and so glad I did it. No signs of recurrence. I was back at work 3 days later and only that long because I have a pretty physical job on the locomotive at a steel mill. Took about 5-6 weeks for complete healing of the sinus after but no stitches and no real restrictions. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. I'll pm you my email address if you want to reach out. I recently sent him a list of my recommended supplies to have patients get for packing after (also doesn't hurt) and I'd be happy to send they to you too if you like.

jackie81818

Country flag
Dr. Govekar? He did mine at Rush October last year. Was great. Nearly painless! Couldn't be happier. Had mine over 15 years before he did it. Couldn't wait any longer. I was his first laser patient and so glad I did it. No signs of recurrence. I was back at work 3 days later and only that long because I have a pretty physical job on the locomotive at a steel mill. Took about 5-6 weeks for complete healing of the sinus after but no stitches and no real restrictions. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. I'll pm you my email address if you want to reach out. I recently sent him a list of my recommended supplies to have patients get for packing after (also doesn't hurt) and I'd be happy to send they to you too if you like.
Hi yes if possible can you please dm me your email? I have a few follow up questions! Thank you!

saidad

Country flag
Hi IndyDad - I have my Surgery scheduled this Thursday. If you don't mind - can you share me your email so that I can ask few specific questions . Thank you

dipcupcup

Country flag
how can I have never heard of laser being used for this? any resources or other doctors who do this in the midwest (my family is from indy)

saidad

Country flag
Hi - I did my Surgery last Thursday 1/28/21 with Dr Govekar Rush Hospital Chicago and I'm super glad that I opted to do it this way so far. Absolutely painless minimally invasive laser surgery with Pit picking which just last 20 minutes - didn't even have to take a single pain killer so far :). Was able to go to office the next day. I do not know about the recurrence chances in the next few years but If I have to do get this procedure done again within the next year or so - I would be glad to repeat it. Please talk to Dr Govekar from Rush Hospital Chicago and see if you could also be a candidate for the same

TNgirl13

Country flag
@saidad or @IndyDad would love to hear how your doing farther out from your procedures I’ve been fairly well controlled for over 10 years with just intermittent flares until this year. Every time I think about doing a major procedure it makes me nervous so I would be hopeful for minimally invasive procedure

kazeryu

Country flag
I did the procedure with Dr. Govekar not so long ago, it was about 3 weeks of wound packing though which kind of sucks, but so far I'm happy with the results, minimal downtime, was able to start some exercises (like running) after a couple weeks. The holes healed at different times which was a bit strange but the pain was minimal, the worst part was wound packing by far.

TNgirl13

Country flag
Thank you I’m most worried about the recovery and issues with wound healing. Did you have any problems with travel after? I would have to fly and that’s also a concern

kazeryu

Country flag
I had no problems with travel, I literally flew from another state to have this surgery as I found Dr. Govekar via this forum (I couldn't find a doctor that didn't want to cut half of my ass away with a recovery time lasting 3-6 months). I flew in on a Sunday, had GIPs+laser surgery on Monday and flew out on Wednesday, the pain was minor and I didn't need to take the prescribed pain killers offered (just Tylenol was fine).

So in short, you'll be able to fly fairly quickly after the procedure, they recommend you stay there a few days after the surgery before flying out but they had people fly out the next day. The first week was the hardest as there's a lot of wound drainage and guaze packing, so hopefully you have a significant other that doesn't mind be close to your ass and packing the wounds once a day as it's possible to do yourself, just not the easiest. Pain wise, it was never worse than a 2-3 out of 10, the first week was the worst, after 2 weeks I don't even notice pain and was cleared to go for short runs. It takes about a month for all the wounds to heal and close up.

Anyways, hope that helps, happy to answer more questions as it's frustrating there isn't more support and modern treatments for pilonidal disease.