My first pilonidal cyst, I'm so scared.

KatKat

Country flag
Firstly, I would like to say thank you to everyone that contributes on this forum. Here is my situation:

Three days ago I went to my doctor because I had swelling on my buttocks in the shape of a horseshoe surrounding my crack (please excuse my poor understanding of anatomy). My doctor told me it was a pilonidal cyst but it wasn't ready yet. He prescribed me antibiotics (Bactrim DS) and told me to put hydrocortisone on it. Then he referred me to a dermatologist. Once I left his office, I felt like I didn't get good information so I filled the prescription and hit the internet (found this forum). I'm taking the Bactrim DS, putting warm compresses on it and I scheduled an appointment with a board certified colon rectal surgeon for the 24th. I'm scared because the abscess is just getting bigger (and its hard). The cyst between my crack is also getting bigger (it looks like a fat stubby tail). Plus, the infection on the right cheek has three bumps on it but nothing is coming to a head and I'm all alone. I'm 22hrs away from family so I'm going through this by myself. My questions are:

Has anyone ever had a huge infection with their cyst on the first occurrence?

At my appointment should I expect lancing/draining of the abscess and removal of the cyst or will these procedures be performed separately?

Also, are the bumps due to pits?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KatKat

Country flag
Hopefully someone will reply before my appointment date on Wednesday. I want to make sure I ask the right questions. I looked at the surgery hall of fame but no one was listed for my area. I would really like to know the process of lancing a hard abscess with bumps? It's just not coming to a head. Sorry for repeating myself but I am soooooooo worried. I've never needed surgery or medication.

KatKat

Country flag
Thank you Harmless for responding. I don't know how to reply to your response directly or why it isn't showing here but I really appreciate you sharing your story. I hope you get everything under control, be well :)