Normal for pilonidal abscess to continue drainage after lancing?

Abdul

Country flag
Last Wednesday I went to the ER as I was experiencing debilitating pain in my tailbone. The ER doctor had a look and immediately began squeezing the spot. Puss and then blood began to ooze our. He diagnosed it as a pilonidal abscess.

He said the opening was too small for him to complete the drainage by squeezing so he gave me a local anesthetic shot and made a small incision. He managed to squeeze the pus and blood out and I instantly felt the “lump” I had disappear.

He finished by taping gauss padding on the spot and gave me a bunch of guess pads and tape. He instructed me to take three warm baths a day which would help more puss to ooze out.

It’s now Friday night and I’ve been replacing the gauss pads after each bath. I’ve noticed less and less blood with each replacement but it seems pus continues to stain the gauss. I can tell it’s the puss based on its yellowish/Brown look and it’s familiar odour.

My question are:

1. Is it normal for pus to continue draining days after the drainage procedure? If so, how many days can I expect it to continue?

2. Is it normal to feel a bit of pain when sitting down or walking fast?

Thanks.

r4nd0o64

Very Helpful
Country flag
1. Is it normal for pus to continue draining days after the drainage procedure? If so, how many days can I expect it to continue?

Yes, usually they either drain it all, or they did not drain it all and the area is still infected (pus usually means infection). Just keep the area clean and it will eventually subside.

2. Is it normal to feel a bit of pain when sitting down or walking fast?

Yea, you just had a large abscess on your tailbone area, sitting or doing anything that involves the tailbone is going to cause pain. Take it easy for a week or two.

Abdul

Country flag
Thanks for your reply. It’s is now Tuesday and I’ve stopped packing gauss pads. I got home today and it was leaking blood and pus. I’m thinking to keep squeezing all the junk out, but the blood concerns me.

Should I go see a doctor or is this normal?

Thanks.

r4nd0o64

Very Helpful
Country flag
Yea it can't hurt. I had pilonidal cysts for over a decade, they would burst and bleed for a few days (sometimes with or without puss)

Just make sure to keep the area as clean as possible.