One sinus, multiple cysts?

bumcyst

Country flag
Hi guys, apologies for the long post there’s a TL;DR at the bottom.

This all started in November 2020. I had an extremely painful lump on my tailbone which I put down to a Hidradenitis flare up (I have this mildly and have never needed any antibiotics/I&D for these) - the pain got worse and so I phoned the doctors who asked me to send a photo (as it was during the 2nd national Covid lockdown she didn’t feel necessary to see me.) After doing this, she confirmed it was a pilonidal cyst and gave me antibiotics. By this point I couldn’t sit, lie, stand, walk. I was delirious with pain. The next day I ended up collapsing at home and was taken to hospital with a temperature of 40 degrees. It had started going septic. They preformed an emergency I&D under general anaesthesia as the infection ran so deep. They left it open and it healed beautifully and rather quickly, completely closed within 2 and half weeks.
Fast forward to Christmas Eve 2020 and I felt the same familiar lump but the opposite side and nowhere near as painful but I was taking no chances with this one and got antibiotics straight away which seemed to ostopped it developing further.
Fast forward to present day, I have 2 more lumps. I’ve finally been referred for surgery to remove the sinus (going to be pushing for cleft lift.) The doctors I saw at the surgical assessment unit have confirmed I only have 1 sinus hole so my question is - is it possible to have multiple “lumps” but only one sinus hole?

Any advice is appreciated. I can’t believe how low and anxious this stupid disease has made me feel. I’m no stranger to abscesses due to the Hidradenitis but the pain I felt with the first pilonidal is something else. I’m scared every day in case I get further lumps and it’s ruining every aspect of my life.

TL;DR - is it possible to have one sinus tract but multiple cysts?

Ron Bowers

Country flag
Hi guys, apologies for the long post there’s a TL;DR at the bottom.

This all started in November 2020. I had an extremely painful lump on my tailbone which I put down to a Hidradenitis flare up (I have this mildly and have never needed any antibiotics/I&D for these) - the pain got worse and so I phoned the doctors who asked me to send a photo (as it was during the 2nd national Covid lockdown she didn’t feel necessary to see me.) After doing this, she confirmed it was a pilonidal cyst and gave me antibiotics. By this point I couldn’t sit, lie, stand, walk. I was delirious with pain. The next day I ended up collapsing at home and was taken to hospital with a temperature of 40 degrees. It had started going septic. They preformed an emergency I&D under general anaesthesia as the infection ran so deep. They left it open and it healed beautifully and rather quickly, completely closed within 2 and half weeks.
Fast forward to Christmas Eve 2020 and I felt the same familiar lump but the opposite side and nowhere near as painful but I was taking no chances with this one and got antibiotics straight away which seemed to ostopped it developing further.
Fast forward to present day, I have 2 more lumps. I’ve finally been referred for surgery to remove the sinus (going to be pushing for cleft lift.) The doctors I saw at the surgical assessment unit have confirmed I only have 1 sinus hole so my question is - is it possible to have multiple “lumps” but only one sinus hole?

Any advice is appreciated. I can’t believe how low and anxious this stupid disease has made me feel. I’m no stranger to abscesses due to the Hidradenitis but the pain I felt with the first pilonidal is something else. I’m scared every day in case I get further lumps and it’s ruining every aspect of my life.

TL;DR - is it possible to have one sinus tract but multiple cysts?
I am wondering that myself.

My first one was about after high school.

Dad took me to a clinic and they took a scalpel and sliced into it and prescribed antibiotics.

It would flare every other year or so then it went away for nearly a decade or so.

In my mid 30s or so the flare ups started again but it went away again.

About a year or two ago I started getting them again.

Since then it's continuously dripping and I felt back there and it's been just a lump and never goes away.

It also feels like there's 2 of em because I can remeber the first cut and where it exploded last time is a new spot next to the original.

I'd say it's about half thethe size of a ping pong ball but there's a constant lump back there.

It went blew on its own but I kinda got a sneaking feeling this is only gonna get worse and worse unless I really get it taken care of.