Open wound after Karkydakis Operation

Isaac

Country flag
Hi Guys.

I had Karkydakis surgery to remove Pilonidal sinus 7 weeks ago. Unfortunately when they took the sutures out it opened up and turned into an open wound (around 5-6cm deep, 5 cm long, 1-2cm wide). After 5 weeks, it has healed a fair bit (had to wear a wound vac for a week) but still not closed. Anyone else dealt with the same situation?

Heasten

Country flag
Hi Guys.

I had Karkydakis surgery to remove Pilonidal sinus 7 weeks ago. Unfortunately when they took the sutures out it opened up and turned into an open wound (around 5-6cm deep, 5 cm long, 1-2cm wide). After 5 weeks, it has healed a fair bit (had to wear a wound vac for a week) but still not closed. Anyone else dealt with the same situation?
Hi, i had my open wound surgery for 3-4 months ago my wound(4cm deep ,6cm long, 2cm wide) healed a bit (maybe 1.5-2 cm deep now) but it is still not healed i am going through vac treatment for almost 3 weeks now. How are you doing now?

Isaac

Country flag
Hi, i had my open wound surgery for 3-4 months ago my wound(4cm deep ,6cm long, 2cm wide) healed a bit (maybe 1.5-2 cm deep now) but it is still not healed i am going through vac treatment for almost 3 weeks now. How are you doing now?
Hi mate. Sorry to hear your having to deal with this, very frustrating. I’m 3.5 months post op and most of my wound has healed, the deepest part of the wound hasn’t fully closed but it is pretty much at surface level (only like 1.5-2cm long and not much depth <1cm) Sounds like we had pretty similar wound sizes, the vac wound should help you speed the process up.

Heasten

Country flag
Hi mate. Sorry to hear your having to deal with this, very frustrating. I’m 3.5 months post op and most of my wound has healed, the deepest part of the wound hasn’t fully closed but it is pretty much at surface level (only like 1.5-2cm long and not much depth <1cm) Sounds like we had pretty similar wound sizes, the vac wound should help you speed the process up.
thanks for your reply did you have dressing changes? If so how often and how far down is your wound? Mine’s about 3cm from the anus. What has been helping your wound if there is anything do u think I should stop with vac therapy and get dressing sorry mate for all questions i have

Peter Wysocki

Country flag
Isaac, a Karydakis flap is normally closed with an absorbable suture ie no stitches to remove. Sometimes the lower part of the wound opens after surgery. Many heal, but it can take 6 months.

Isaac

Country flag
Isaac, a Karydakis flap is normally closed with an absorbable suture ie no stitches to remove. Sometimes the lower part of the wound opens after surgery. Many heal, but it can take 6 months.
Thanks Peter.

It was definitely a Karkydakis operation, I believe they may have used dissolvable sutures underneath where he did the layers but the top was a removable stich.

I have no depth on my wound, however it splits frequently then re heals. Is this normal?

Peter Wysocki

Country flag
Isaac, just because someone gave a label of "Karydakis" doesn't mean it was Karydakis. No it is not normal for the scar to repeatedly splt.

Isaac

Country flag
Thanks for your time mate. I’m up here in the Townsville NQ area, I may try and get down to you and discuss what the best options are. Just not easy with work etc.