Ovulation and Pilonidal Abscess

Does your Pilonidal Flare up with Ovulation?

• Total voters

Mandotolson

For years I have noticed my Pilonidal Flare up every month along with ovulation. Can any of you ladies relate? I spoke to the surgeon about this and he said to talk to my regular doctor. The problem is I have never had a regular Doctor work with me on this. Just ER and Surgeons. Any time I try to talk to my regular Doctor he tells me to talk to the Surgeon. Uggg I have had 5 Drainages and 1 removal. It came back 3 years after my removal....Like clock work with my ovulation. I do have essure which is a means of blocking the fallopian tubes. Yes it is permanent. I had this done 2 months after my first drainage. I would love to hear your thoughts.

patchy91

I had my first real flare up this past February. Since then, I had a lancing and an I&D /debridement done. However, like clockwork, the week I have my little friend I find the pilonidal site swollen, tender, and draining pus and/or blood. My surgeon said she doesn't know if there's any connection, but that's a pretty big coincidence, no?

Mandotolson

I agree! I hope more women look at this topic..... I would love to know. :)

Hdarwin

I recently had a flare up that began this past saturday which just so happened to he the same day my friend came to visit also. This is my fourth one and each time I have had to get it lanced. I have no insurance so surgery is really not an option. My last one before this one was in may of 2010 and if I remember correctly my friend was visiting that time also. Maybe they do have some sort of relation.

orion1

Without a doubt. I have been pilo free for a year after having it lanced (did come back once after but drained itself). Happily in my own little world thinking the little demon had gone away was enjoying life without it. Until, this month my usual happened and my pilo decided to show itself and with vengeance seeming to make up for lost time. Before having it lanced for the first time a year ago it flared up a good 6 times and every time I can guarantee was during that time of the month. Nice to know not only do we have to suffer the period we get the pilo at the same time. Life is just wonderful:cheer:....

ELM84

I completely agree with you. I had cyst removal surgery in September 2010. Nearly every month, just before the start of my period, I feel pain in the area of my scar. Usually it comes and goes each month, just causing some discomfort for a few days. This month is particularly bad, to the point that it's making me nervous. I can already feel a small bump forming at the bottom of my scar, and I think it's returning :( Any advice? What do you ladies to do help ease it?

so.over.it

I hear ya! I was diagnosed with a Pilonidal Cyst about 1.5 years ago. It has definitely been quite the journey. There have been a few things that I have noticed, one of them being ovulation and menstruation along with Pilonidal flare-ups. The flare ups-do not occur bi weekly or monthly, however, when flare-ups do occur, it is most often during that time in my cycle.

I find what helps my situation is keeping it clean and dry. I use natural baby wipes to clean the area. Time permitting, I take a warm sea salt or an Epsom salt bath twice a day. I make sure the area is dry after the bath. As silly as this may sound, I often stand in front of a fan to air dry. I also find loose clothing to be much more liberating to the area during a flare-up. This method works for me but might not work for everyone. The best approach is to research different methods that are safe and give them a go. Maybe write down and date different approaches or reoccurring symptoms so you and your doctor can review them.

I was pretty fortunate to of had a doctor that listened to what approaches I wanted try, surgery not being one of them. Since my case has been diagnosed a minor Pilonidal Cyst, I have been able to avoid surgery at this point. I am currently researching some newer approaches that have been evaluated in peer-reviewed medical journals. The topic of these journals have been on managing a Pilonidal Cyst/Sinus and laser hair removal. I'm very interested in getting a consultation in this method. To me, this approach makes sense, given the overlying issue of the cyst, can be hair growth that becomes aggravated. I will conclude this post by posing what I find to be interesting questions that involve the Pilonidal Cyst and ovulation/menstruation, from my experience. Do the hormones that occur during a women's cycle effect hair growth? Could this be a potential factor that might contribute to more frequent Pilonidal flare-ups for women?

I hope this helps!

Oh oh

Oh without a doubt...mine is so tied up with that time of the month. Every month the past 4 months it has reared its ugly head. I had my first experience of mine when I was 4 weeks off having my second son. Had it lanced at that time, then when he was 6 months , had it exised and stitched. He is now 12 years old and over the years it has become tender, always at that time of month or ovulation time. The past 4 months it has come up to the point where I had to have it lanced...so so over it. And for the record I'm not hairy . When I had it lanced recently I asked the Dr about the hair theory and he said it wouild be hair from my head that has fallen down my back and made its way in...mmmmmm, what so it just happens to make it in to the same area in everyone?? I told him my hormonal theory and I think he just dismissed it straight away. I also get hormonal migraines each month, does anyone else, just to see if this is a connection at all! I would love to know what part the hormones play in this? Unless I have hair underneath my skin that I cant see?

allison

Hello I am new here and found this forum by searching 'pilonidal during ovulation'. Mine does the same thing. I am 31 and experienced my first cyst about three years ago. I freaked out and had no idea what was going on. I am the type of person who avoids doctors unless necessary, and I allowed the pain to become completely unbearable to the point that driving wss impossible. I remember going swimming with some friends which really meant soaking in a hot tub for me because hot baths were at the time my only relief. And a few hours after doing that it burst by itself and drained off. I don't have to tell you that it was the most disgusting smell I have ever known.

Two years later I got another one and it rapidly seemed to abcess. It was truly the worst pain I ever experienced. I was terrified of getting it removed surgically and I also could not bear to be moved. I spent four days prone face down on my coucb and my boyfriend took care of me. I was hysterical with pain. In the end I sterilized a needle and drained it myself. I then packed the wound with gauze and cleaned it every chance I could with antibacterial ointment and peroxide. It drained for about a week and closed up. That was a year ago. Now, each month right before my period I can feel it creeping back a bit. I always take a cotton round and soak it in peroxide and apply it to the area. After doing this for a couple of days and taking hotter showers than usual it always goes away, even when it begins to feel swollen and actually hurt. But yes each month it returns somewhat.

gentldrgnfly

Hi ladies, I am hoping I can get some feedback from you reference pain. I had surgery many years ago when I was 14. The symptoms back then were a pin or sting with blood usually a dot of blood found in my underwear. Now at the age of 36 I am experiencing excruciating pain and I find it to occure right before ovualtion. The pain I will describe it to be quite different than my first experience. For the past 2 years off and on, but it seems to occur around ovulation time, I would describe as if I had fallen on my arse and bruised my tail bone. The pain makes it uncomfortable to sit and I have to use the strength of my arms to push myself up from the chair I am sitting on. Flexing my butt adds pressure and it reflects on the upper part right where my tail bone would end. I am curious to know if anyone else can relate to this pain and if it would be atributed to pilonidal cyst?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Run-Wit-it

Hello!

I have been living with this cyst for six years now. I've been to several doctors/surgeons regarding the problem within this time, however, never opted for the surgery as it seemed to only occasionally flare up and drain on its own, without too much discomfort. Within the past year (since I've had a job that keeps me sitting most of the day) I've noticed that the cyst has been flaring up much more frequently and doesn't seem to heal as quickly on its own. So I decided to possibly move forward with surgery. I first visited a general surgeon, who told me the same thing I've heard in the past, "Surgery is the only way to get rid of it completely...keep hair out of the area, keep the area dry, etc." I decided I wanted a second opinion if I was going to go through with the procedure and 3+ week recovery, so I went to a Colorectal Surgeon. This particular surgeon (who spent a good 20 minutes with me) seemed to advocate NOT having the surgery! He asked me, "Does this ruin your everyday life?" I replied,"No". He said, "Well until it does, why put yourself through the surgery and most of all recovery?" This is a surgeon telling me this...doesn't he want to cut into me?! It's because he believes without a doubt that Pilonidal Cysts have a direct link with hormones and I quote, "The whole hair thing is baloney." He explained to me that this is why he always sees patients first in their late teens and twenties, and never patients in their 40's 50's and 60's. He also told me from time to time he'll see an older patient (for a different issue) with the pilonidal dimple/scar and ask if they ever had the surgery and these patients will reply, "No, I had that in my earlier years, but it eventually went away on its own." So his theory-the anatomy of the cyst will always stay with you, but the flare-ups eventually go away as your hormones change. So my question to everyone is...Has anyone else received this information or experienced it? I mean, I guess it makes sense? Is it possible that this "pain in the butt" will eventually go away on its own? I'm so confused now!

Oh oh

Hello!

I have been living with this cyst for six years now. I've been to several doctors/surgeons regarding the problem within this time, however, never opted for the surgery as it seemed to only occasionally flare up and drain on its own, without too much discomfort. Within the past year (since I've had a job that keeps me sitting most of the day) I've noticed that the cyst has been flaring up much more frequently and doesn't seem to heal as quickly on its own. So I decided to possibly move forward with surgery. I first visited a general surgeon, who told me the same thing I've heard in the past, "Surgery is the only way to get rid of it completely...keep hair out of the area, keep the area dry, etc." I decided I wanted a second opinion if I was going to go through with the procedure and 3+ week recovery, so I went to a Colorectal Surgeon. This particular surgeon (who spent a good 20 minutes with me) seemed to advocate NOT having the surgery! He asked me, "Does this ruin your everyday life?" I replied,"No". He said, "Well until it does, why put yourself through the surgery and most of all recovery?" This is a surgeon telling me this...doesn't he want to cut into me?! It's because he believes without a doubt that Pilonidal Cysts have a direct link with hormones and I quote, "The whole hair thing is baloney." He explained to me that this is why he always sees patients first in their late teens and twenties, and never patients in their 40's 50's and 60's. He also told me from time to time he'll see an older patient (for a different issue) with the pilonidal dimple/scar and ask if they ever had the surgery and these patients will reply, "No, I had that in my earlier years, but it eventually went away on its own." So his theory-the anatomy of the cyst will always stay with you, but the flare-ups eventually go away as your hormones change. So my question to everyone is...Has anyone else received this information or experienced it? I mean, I guess it makes sense? Is it possible that this "pain in the butt" will eventually go away on its own? I'm so confused now!

Oh oh

Hi Run-Wit-it,

Wow that s interesting, I like the sound of your doctor. He seems to be saying exactly what I believe. Mine is so hormonal, as I have said previously on here. Mine is still flaring up twice a month at the moment, ovulation time and just prior to my monthly. Since I had it lanced backed in April it drains on its own, doesnt get too big or sore, just tender. I was booked in for surgery but I opted out to see what happens, and Ive decided I can live with it. I am about to turn 44, my first episode was when I was about to give birth to my second child 12 years ago and I did have surgery after he was born, and look its now back, although nothing like the first time.!! . I put tea tree oil on it when it flares up and that helps bring it to the surface I think. Its more like a big pimple that comes up now.So for me, yes definately hormonal and I can live with it for now and hopefully forever.

Good luck!

ELM84

Hello!

Hi Run-Wit-it,

I think the doctor you visited has a valid point, but also keep in mind that he said, "Does this ruin your everyday life?" I lived with my cyst for a few years, going through the cycle of it filling and draining on its own, causing me some level of discomfort before going back to normal. Two years ago this month, when I was 25, it went to the point where I ABSOLUTELY could NOT get through another day with the cyst! It filled and didn't drain, and the thing grew to a frightening size. I couldn't even lay completely still on my stomach without wanted to cry. So after a long weekend of torturous pain, I went to see a surgeon and had the cyst removed that day. If it hadn't gotten to that extreme point of pain, I wouldn't have bothered with the surgery. But given the options of having it removed or leaving it alone at that point- I definitely needed it cut out. The recovery really wasn't that bad for me. Sure, it was uncomfortable and I had to miss about a week of work, but in the end, I think it was worth it. I haven't had a flare-up like that in two years, but around the time I'm menstruating, the wound site gets a little tender (never to the point of needing to drain or anything like that). I just treat it with an ice pack and apply tea tree oil for a few days. So, I would say, if it gets to the point where you can't deal with the pain any longer (during a flare up where it fills with pus and puts you in extreme pain), you'll know that you want to have the cyst removed.

I wish you the best of luck. It's nice to know we aren't alone :)

ash2013

I have been having this pain at the bttom of my tailbone for years now and it DOEs flare up at that time of the month, i have gotten 2 x-rays that showed nothing so my chiropractor suggested this cyst might be the problem. I'm not sure if it is, there is no drainage or anything like that (i want to throw up just thinking about this!) It's embarrassing. My tailbone just gets an enlarged bump when it flares up. Does this sound like symptoms of this cyst?

Mandotolson

Since my initial post in April 2012, I have had 4 more drainage procedures!! Yep 4! The Surgeon says I need a removal surgery again. The problem is I have already had that done!!! I am a Mom of 4 and work a full time job that includes some travel. So I DON'T have time for a long recovery. My Cyst NEVER drains on it's own and I always become septic with a fever. At the very sign of the flare up I begin a round of antibiotics which only help with the fever and body aches. This past one started and we were leaving for vacation! I had it drained and 12:00pm and then got in the car for our 14 hours car ride to the beach! Needless to say I couldn't go in the water because of my open wound. Thank God my Mother in law and our oldest Daughter are both nurses!! They cleaned me up and helped me change my bandage. It's always nice to have someone around to help. I am so sick of this!!! 8 years I have been living with this!

Mandotolson

I have been having this pain at the bttom of my tailbone for years now and it DOEs flare up at that time of the month, i have gotten 2 x-rays that showed nothing so my chiropractor suggested this cyst might be the problem. I'm not sure if it is, there is no drainage or anything like that (i want to throw up just thinking about this!) It's embarrassing. My tailbone just gets an enlarged bump when it flares up. Does this sound like symptoms of this cyst?
ASH2013
This does sound like it. Sorry

Run-Wit-it

Hey ASH2013, yes, to me it sounds like a cyst. However, I can always "see" mine, even when it isn't flaring up. However, when it does flare up, it becomes raised off of the skin, and becomes red and painful (obviously from the infection). Sometimes it will drain on its own, other times it's much angrier and doesn't ;) After my initial post, I really started to keep track of my flare ups (which happen every 4-6 months), and they definitely occurred right around that time of the month.

Mandotolson, I feel your pain! I actually had BAD flare up about two months ago, which was also TWO WEEKS before my wedding and my honeymoon in Hawaii. Fortunately, I was able to get into urgent care quickly to have it drained and packed, and it was all healed up by the time of the wedding...thank you beejezus! I'm still opting not to have the surgery though. My hope is that eventually the flare ups will end, to me a 50-60% chance of a full recovery (meaning no return of the cyst) isn't enough for me to go through the surgery and recovery.

Oh oh

Hi ash2013 I hate to say it but it does sound like you could have a cyst. If you read my other posts I was booked in to have my second surgery done last April 2012 , my first was 13 years ago! But at the last minute I decided not to. I had it lanced , then it would drain on its own and the past 6 to 8 months it has been virtually non existent. Although, the past few days Ive noticed it a bit tender and a bump under the skin and yes it is that time of the month! So, I am at this stage really glad that I am just living with it as I am also a mum of 3 and busy like everyone and cannot afford to be laid up! So, I am going to keep on living with it, if it got really bad again as in the fever etc I will get it lanced and go on antibiotics. Its strange you know, as I am writing this post Ive just remembered the past couple of months I have had like blind pimples come up ( only one or two ) and then they disappear. Like at the moment I have a really sore spot on my chin and when I touch it its like a lump....sounds really attractive doesn't it!! So I know I am prone to whatever this is. I remember when I was younger and would have a bikini wax ( I'm giving out so much personal info here! ), I would get blind like cysty things ......again, sounds attractive!! I am 45 this year and bring on menopause I say as I know its hormonal for me, along with hormonal headaches every month! Oh the joy! Ash2013, if I were you at this stage if its not getting really angry and sore but just tender then I wouldn't do anything. If you ever feel a fever and its really tender then its obviously infected so maybe try antibiotics and a lance to relieve the pressure before a surgery. When I had my surgery 13 years ago I remember being put under the anaesthetic and there were 2 very good looking young doctors and there was me about to bare my butt to them. I would hate to think what was said whilst I was under! Good luck and remember you are so not the only one with it!!

Tangled

Yes yes yes!!!! I was searching online to see if this could even be possible and so glad I found this string!!! I have had 2 removal surgeries, the last being about 10 years ago...but I still experience occasional flare ups....and the last 6 months or so they have been in line with my "PMS" symptoms!!!! I am so glad I am not the only one! I thought I was crazy!