Ovulation and Pilonidal Abscess

Does your Pilonidal Flare up with Ovulation?

• Total voters

Mandotolson

Update....30 days ago I had my cyst drained. Well here I lay on the couch again in pain as I had to have it drained again!!!!! I am avoiding another removal because I'm afraid of the amount of tissue they will need to remove. My doctor and I have been talking and I think I made try hormonal remedies such as some sort of birth control. That way I can avoid my hormones from swing up and down. Has anyone else tried this or does anyone currently take birth control?

Thecatlady

Omg!!! I have previously mentioned this to my surgeon as i thought id noticed a pattern emerging but he said no he didnt think there was a link. Ive had 3 incision & drainage & in dec 13 a huge excision left open/ took 5 months to heal and even then its never been right but ive watched closely and the last 3 months a few days before my period its tender & all the signs u know when its playing up!! Im terrified of surgery again as an icu nurse i was off work for 3 months & the nhs are sooo not supportive! Im of the thinking like someone said before " if its not ruining my life everyday" just have to take antibiotics once a month then thats what il do.... However from experience the flare ups start to get closer & closer together, and i got a bit more septic each time... . Someones hair theory made me think too... Im not a typical as they say dark hairy woman , ive sallow skin & brown hair but not really hairy, but i do notice that just before & during my period i get darl obvious hair on my upper lip...its obviously there all the time but must darken at this time... Could there be a connection with hair follicles ? Hair becoming more coarse/thick / dark causing the monthly flare ups ?? Not sure but we cant all be wrong about it being related to ovulation . Thanks folks xxx

anon1711

Update....30 days ago I had my cyst drained. Well here I lay on the couch again in pain as I had to have it drained again!!!!! I am avoiding another removal because I'm afraid of the amount of tissue they will need to remove. My doctor and I have been talking and I think I made try hormonal remedies such as some sort of birth control. That way I can avoid my hormones from swing up and down. Has anyone else tried this or does anyone currently take birth control?

Hi, I used to get these all the time, apart from the 2 times I had to have surgery they have always gone on their own or been treated by anitbiotics but the side effects of antibiotcs alone were pretty frustrating. I was getting these almost every month and it crossed my mind that it could be hormonal. I went on the pill just under 2 years ago and it wasn't until a few months down the line I realised I hadn't been getting the abscess recently. At the time I didn't relate it to going on the pill because I was also put on an ongoing course of antibiotics to treat spots (which I think was due to new pill) and I thought that may have been helping keep the abscess away but about 2 weeks ago I came off the pill due to some of the side affects and I have started to feel that familiar twinge, abscess is back. I am almost certain this is hormone related and that my pill may have been keeping it at bay some how.

TexasMomof2

I've been noticing a flare up around ovulation, too! Really weird. I thought for sure it cant be related...but maybe?

meganmegan

Very Helpful
Country flag
mine definitely went hand in hand, especially towards the end, right before surgery.. the last few months were on point with each other.

Kavo4

Hi
For years I have noticed my Pilonidal Flare up every month along with ovulation. Can any of you ladies relate? I spoke to the surgeon about this and he said to talk to my regular doctor. The problem is I have never had a regular Doctor work with me on this. Just ER and Surgeons. Any time I try to talk to my regular Doctor he tells me to talk to the Surgeon. Uggg I have had 5 Drainages and 1 removal. It came back 3 years after my removal....Like clock work with my ovulation. I do have essure which is a means of blocking the fallopian tubes. Yes it is permanent. I had this done 2 months after my first drainage. I would love to hear your thoughts.
yes
For years I have noticed my Pilonidal Flare up every month along with ovulation. Can any of you ladies relate? I spoke to the surgeon about this and he said to talk to my regular doctor. The problem is I have never had a regular Doctor work with me on this. Just ER and Surgeons. Any time I try to talk to my regular Doctor he tells me to talk to the Surgeon. Uggg I have had 5 Drainages and 1 removal. It came back 3 years after my removal....Like clock work with my ovulation. I do have essure which is a means of blocking the fallopian tubes. Yes it is permanent. I had this done 2 months after my first drainage. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Yes yes yes!!!! I was searching online to see if this could even be possible and so glad I found this string!!! I have had 2 removal surgeries, the last being about 10 years ago...but I still experience occasional flare ups....and the last 6 months or so they have been in line with my "PMS" symptoms!!!! I am so glad I am not the only one! I thought I was crazy!

naomiama

Very Helpful
Ive noticed this. I usually tend to get smaller boils in my groin area as well. They always act up around my period, has every time for the last several years, its kinda how I know my periods about to start everything starts breaking out. never used to think these boils had anything to do with the pilo but the more I learn more and more Im thinking Ive got a big problem with ingrown hairs, I seem to get them very easily and frequently, some dont seem to really ever go away. I assumed they act up from an increase in hormones or something, when I was a teenager I was on the depo birth control they took me off of it because it was messing with me and causing a problem for me that at the time was very embarrassing for me. after they took me off of it my periods got extreme and have pretty much stayed that way for 10 years now heavy bleeding bad cramps that make me feel like Im going to hurl as well as like my whole body like I feel sick or something and migrains in combination with the flare ups, so I definatly think there is some hormone from the menstrual cycle that ties in with these. Ive thought about asking the doctor for something I can take that would help level these out for me so hopefully its not all so extreme but after my first experience with depo I pretty much refuse to take birth control or anything that messes with my period or hormones, I just dont trust it not to have bad side effects.

Coleman

I've definitely noticed a correlation between my pilonidal cyst, my groin bumps/boils, and my menstral cycle. Didn't know there would be anyone else in these forums that had the groin bumps as well! I've been told they could be caused by ingrown hairs, but I don't shave in those area anymore- I use a men's electric razor called the 'body groomer'... I've noticed a great difference with the groin bumps! Good luck to ya!!!

Ive noticed this. I usually tend to get smaller boils in my groin area as well. They always act up around my period, has every time for the last several years, its kinda how I know my periods about to start everything starts breaking out. never used to think these boils had anything to do with the pilo but the more I learn more and more Im thinking Ive got a big problem with ingrown hairs, I seem to get them very easily and frequently, some dont seem to really ever go away. I assumed they act up from an increase in hormones or something, when I was a teenager I was on the depo birth control they took me off of it because it was messing with me and causing a problem for me that at the time was very embarrassing for me. after they took me off of it my periods got extreme and have pretty much stayed that way for 10 years now heavy bleeding bad cramps that make me feel like Im going to hurl as well as like my whole body like I feel sick or something and migrains in combination with the flare ups, so I definatly think there is some hormone from the menstrual cycle that ties in with these. Ive thought about asking the doctor for something I can take that would help level these out for me so hopefully its not all so extreme but after my first experience with depo I pretty much refuse to take birth control or anything that messes with my period or hormones, I just dont trust it not to have bad side effects.
I've

ninabug

I am so amazed reading this post! I honestly believed it was just an odd happening that they went hand in hand. No one ever mentioned the two having anything to do with the other! Did anyone that had their flare ups with their cycle, have a successful cleft surgery??

naomiama

Very Helpful
You should check out this thread on here, I actually found someone who knows what this is called! Hidradenitis surpuritiva Its nice to know it has a name and we are not alone. Its easier to research and try to find answers or to get help from your doctor if you at least know what it is called.
http://www.pilonidal.org/xfforums/i...f-cysts-related-to-pilonidal.9721/#post-54189

I've definitely noticed a correlation between my pilonidal cyst, my groin bumps/boils, and my menstral cycle. Didn't know there would be anyone else in these forums that had the groin bumps as well! I've been told they could be caused by ingrown hairs, but I don't shave in those area anymore- I use a men's electric razor called the 'body groomer'... I've noticed a great difference with the groin bumps! Good luck to ya!!!

I've

Trochan1347

Reading through this I had a thought that might help explain the correlation between our little friends. I'm on depo now, so that's one friend that doesn't visit me any more, but thinking about it I realised that my backside always got a bit tender. I always blamed it on the pad (tampons never work) and having sensitive skin. I'm thinking now that those could have been flare ups possibly caused by fibers and irritation from rubbing from the pads. How about you ladies? Do you think that that may be the same for you, or do you use tampons instead?

ninabug

I use/d tampons and never had any fibers or cloth irritate the area. Ive read that it has to do with hormones

Kristen

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. There must be some correlation, because it's like, one night I'm fine, next MAJOR FLARE UP. Doesn't happen every month, but it seems I flare up most about that time. Ugh. These horrible things. I can't wait until I can get the appt for my cleft lift.

Mandotolson

Sometimes I miss some of these reply's. I wanted to follow up that I too get bumps and boils in my groin area. I have tried many things to prevent/eliminate them. They come the same time my cyst acts up. I have asked doctors what I can do and I have told "you're just a clogger" like really!!! That's your response. Sometimes my boils in the groin area are so tender I can only wear sweatpants that are extremely loose. Finally they will form a white head and I can drain them at home. Any advice on the groin area is appreciated. Funny that there are so many of us with the exact same issues. Yet, no one has a exact remedy/solution

naomiama

Very Helpful
Sometimes I miss some of these reply's. I wanted to follow up that I too get bumps and boils in my groin area. I have tried many things to prevent/eliminate them. They come the same time my cyst acts up. I have asked doctors what I can do and I have told "you're just a clogger" like really!!! That's your response. Sometimes my boils in the groin area are so tender I can only wear sweatpants that are extremely loose. Finally they will form a white head and I can drain them at home. Any advice on the groin area is appreciated. Funny that there are so many of us with the exact same issues. Yet, no one has a exact remedy/solution
I never knew anyone else had this problem, my mom does but not like I do, mines a lot worse. Here is a link kind of telling what it is, I just recently found out myself that this is a condition with a name to it and we are not alone, although there is still no known cure. However I have found a great number of stories, like the one on this link, connecting break outs with a form of auto immunity to certain types of food, and for some people identifying the foods and removing them from their diet stopped the break outs all together, so that is what I am trying next. Although I am still curious about what seems to be a problem with certain hormones present during menstruation, that might require birth control or something to help level it out to manage break outs during this time. I will try to keep updated on how the diet goes, just started so its still too soon to tell.
http://thepaleodiet.com/part-i-hidradenitis-suppurativa-and-the-paleo-diet/

cystsufferer

Helpful
Yes, yes and more yes. My first flare coincided with ovulation and abscessed days before I got my period. This was in nov of 2011, since then I went through three more abscesses, the last being late summer of 2013. Although I've been able to keep my cyst from flaring, every so often (right before my period) I will sometimes get a small amount of clear fluid leaking from my sinus. No pain or pressure or tenderness or hardness, just a little leaking. It doesn't happen every month either! It used to, but now it's just random. I absolutely believe there is a connection, I just can't understand why "modern" medicine seems to know so little about this. We need a doctor to chime in here who KNOWS what the connection is. AND I've been getting cysts/bumps/boils on the upper inner part of my thighs, close to my groin around the same time too!!!!! Been happening since I was 14 years old! Thanks for posting! Xx

Typo56

I was looking to see if anyone else had this. I think I can say yes as well. For over 6 months my cycles stopped but just as they start again I develop a flare up on a cyst that had been around since the beginning of the year (I'm not sure if it was low weight or medications that stopped them for so long as I still am the same sort of weight and on the same pills). The abscess drained itself while I waited overnight in A&E to have it seen to, told to wait and get it removed. Unexpectedly, it was suddenly that time of month, right after being in hospital. Hmm. All's well (or moderately less painful anyway)... Until 3 weeks later the abscess came back! More antibiotics, more self draining, utter misery as I've found out I have sensitivities to virtually every antibiotic they can throw at me. It didn't go down until a week after being off the antibiotics this time anyway. But it had gone back down and wasn't so bad, right? Then another 3 weeks, the time of the month returned worse than ever and within hours the cyst was double the size and still getting bigger! Urgh. I'm not sure how long I need to wait for surgery, but I hope it's not too many more months as this is impossible. As if dealing with nature's little gift on its own wasn't bad enough...

I wonder what it could be though. Skin oil like the way hormones cause worse acne at certain times? I know, sadly from experience, that cystic acne scars can get reinfected repeatedly before they clear up (if ever). Yuck. I hope someone can work out a scientific connection so we don't have to go on suffering this risk every month.

Courtney Rose

Country flag
Most definitley flare ups during aunt flo! I was diagnosed in January of this year and every month it was sore during my period! This flare up that I had lanced on the 23 is a result of my period. Cramps and pilonidal pain. Lovelyyy. Hoping to put surgery off till summer because I'm starting school next month but we'll see what the surgeon says!

Vlnoodle

OK I realize this post is a bit old now but wanted to throw my two cents in. First, mine definitely flares at my time of the month. I started getting them last year monthly right on schedule. I've had to have it drained twice, technically 3 times because the second time another cyst had actually been growing inside the first one - super gross! Since then I scoured the forums in search of relief. I have tried so many different things and by far the best I've found is garlic. Initially I was just crushing cloves of garlic and sticking it on gauze but it was pain to crush and clean the crusher each time. I ended up going to my grocery store and buying it from a jar. Here is my method:

1) buy a jar of minced or crushed garlic (refrigerate after opening)
2) when you start to feel it flare up put a bit onto a piece of gauze or large bandaid (I find the bandaids easier)
3) put bandaids with garlic over the cyst and keep it there for 10 mins - you don't want to overdo it with this. I'd say 15 mins max. You will feel it burning and that's completely normal.
4) remove bandaid, throw it out and wipe clean - you can also just shower just to make sure all the garlic is gone.
5) repeat 2 or 3 times a day - if it's early on you'll only need a couple times where as if it's grown to be super painful do it 3 times.
6) optional - when you're in the shower turn the water on as hot as you can stand it and let it hit your cyst. This can be a bit painful but it definitely speeds up the healing process and makes the regular pain bearable.

Since discovering this method it never gets to the point of needing draining. It will go soft and then the skin will start to flake over. It never actually pops the cyst because the garlic goes into your blood stream it heals it from the inside out and you'll see results real quickly (2-3 days).

Hope this helps!

Flutterby

I found this forum after being at my whits ends with my pilonidal sinus ! with out a doubt mine would show is ugly face every time I got my period - each time it increasingly got worse. I have just had my first baby - throughout the whole pregnancy not one flare up or problem...... now that I have given birth it has come back ten fold and is painful. I saw my obstetrician about it and he said that it is definitely hormone related and that it is caused by excessive oestrogen levels ! He referred me to a surgeon.... I saw the surgeon today and he pretty much laughed at me and tried to tell me I had endometriosis ??!!!?? Let's just say that I will be calling my Obstetrician after the weekend and getting a referral to a surgeon who knows something about them .... I need it gone, it has caused me so much pain over the past 2 and a half years !