Pilonidal Pit Picking Log 11/17/13

mylifeforAuir

6 weeks post op

Drainage stopped about a 4.5 weeks out. Wound are closed up, and all that remains is scar tissue. :) I will check this periodically if anybody going through the same procedure ever has any questions. I highly recommend this operation :) Best of luck all.

Teri92

I cannot thank you enough for this thread, mylifeforAuir. I have this op scheduled soon and i was (still am) freaking out about it but after reading this it has really calmed my nerves down.

Have you had any problems since? Hope all is well.

mylifeforAuir

I cannot thank you enough for this thread, mylifeforAuir. I have this op scheduled soon and i was (still am) freaking out about it but after reading this it has really calmed my nerves down.

Have you had any problems since? Hope all is well.

Hi Teri,

Nope! Been back to 100% for quite some time now. It is still slightly lumpy underneath the skin (on the side excision), as with any other scar, but there are no pits, and I am removing the hair on a routine basis (nair, semimonthly). I am confident that you will be fine. No problem on having this log -- any other questions, just ask. I look forward to hearing from you regarding your recovery.

Teri92

Glad to hear you're back to 100%! I have so many questions and just general fears about this lol I'm sure I'll remember more later on.

The only thing I can think of now is discharge. Discharge is the main reason I'm getting this done lol it's so so so annoying! After your op, how long did the side incision discharge for? And was there any from your pit stitches?

mylifeforAuir

Glad to hear you're back to 100%! I have so many questions and just general fears about this lol I'm sure I'll remember more later on.

The only thing I can think of now is discharge. Discharge is the main reason I'm getting this done lol it's so so so annoying! After your op, how long did the side incision discharge for? And was there any from your pit stitches?
Lol no problem, ask away as the questions come. My side incision drained for almost a month, but it heals super fast cause it gets so much oxygen! The middle incision took almost 2-3 months!! My doctor used glue, but there was still discharge coming from it after the side incision healed because it had nowhere else. Remember to read te discharge types on the main website. You will be fine!!

Teri92

Lol no problem, ask away as the questions come. My side incision drained for almost a month, but it heals super fast cause it gets so much oxygen! The middle incision took almost 2-3 months!! My doctor used glue, but there was still discharge coming from it after the side incision healed because it had nowhere else. Remember to read te discharge types on the main website. You will be fine!!
Enough discharge to seep through underwear? Lol I really hope I'll be fine!!

mylifeforAuir

Enough discharge to seep through underwear? Lol I really hope I'll be fine!!

You will! And no, not nearly enough. Ask your doctor to confirm on this, but I stuck a gauze pad on the side incision everyday until it was nearly healed, and then when the glue deteriorated in the middle incision, I did the same thing. This way I could track the amount of discharge daily--but either way, even if you do not do gauze, the discharge might get on your underwear but nowhere past that.

One thing I will say is to consider sleeping with your bottom half naked. This way, you'll expose the wounds to oxygen and help the healing process.
What else you got for me?

Teri92

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to ask my surgeon how long to gauze the wound etc, just nice to hear some experiances from people who've gone through it!

Nothing else to ask, your recovery log answered everything else! Again, thank you for your posts, it really helped ease my mind a bit.

I'll be sure to post my recovery on this so others can use it as a reference point too like yours

mylifeforAuir

Good luck, anything else comes to mind just ask. You will be fine! Might want to post your recovery within this topic so we essentially have one pit picking topic? Not sure, up to you -- either way, let us know how your recovery goes :)

mylifeforAuir

1 year 8 months post Op

I hope everyone is doing well. No issues people -- I can run, jump, stretch, etc. Haven't looked back since. My scar is occasionally tender, but that is being extremely meticulous about things. I have virtually nothing to report to you aside from my life has gone on :) I do have my username linked to my email address, so please, do not hesitate to PM me or post here if you have any questions.

Best of luck folks -- 2 years ago, I constantly had to change my underwear due to drainage from an infected cyst. Now, I just have a sweet little scar to remember it all :)

Farid

Helpful
1 year 8 months post Op

I hope everyone is doing well. No issues people -- I can run, jump, stretch, etc. Haven't looked back since. My scar is occasionally tender, but that is being extremely meticulous about things. I have virtually nothing to report to you aside from my life has gone on :) I do have my username linked to my email address, so please, do not hesitate to PM me or post here if you have any questions.

Best of luck folks -- 2 years ago, I constantly had to change my underwear due to drainage from an infected cyst. Now, I just have a sweet little scar to remember it all :)
Hello , Im so happy that you are back to normal , I have some question for you , I m a pilonadal suffer and I want to know if do I have to chose the procedure pit-picking or the surgeon decision for the right one for me ? what is the success rate ? recurrence ect...what kind of med do you take after the op ? is it the pit-picking better than cleft lift? Thanks alot

mylifeforAuir

Hello , Im so happy that you are back to normal , I have some question for you , I m a pilonadal suffer and I want to know if do I have to chose the procedure pit-picking or the surgeon decision for the right one for me ? what is the success rate ? recurrence ect...what kind of med do you take after the op ? is it the pit-picking better than cleft lift? Thanks alot
Hi Farid, from my vantage point, I think the best way is to consult with a doctor who is able to perform the procedures (check the main site's doctor list here: http://www.pilonidal.org/resources/surgeons.php . It looks like there are 4+ doctors in Texas who specialize in pit picking/cleft lift. Might be best to come prepared with questions about both procedures during your doctor visit. I can't tell you which one is better, but the overall theme on the message board is to NOT go with any other surgery except for pit picking or the cleft lift.

I took an antibiotic for about 7+ days after the surgery (think it was called Augmentin). My thread here probably has more description on it -- it's been a long time, which is awesome to say :) Good luck, this will all be history for you soon.

Last edited: