Post-lancing packing help!

eqd223

Country flag
I am a first-time pilonidal sufferer, and my skin seems to be closing despite having daily packing in my wound post-lancing. Here's my quick background story: I'm 19 years old, female, and not really hairy at all so my pilonidal cyst was super out-of-the-blue. I thought that I had bruised the area around my tailbone or possibly stress fractured it, but after going to the ER due to severe pain, I learned it was pilonidal. I had mine lanced and drained in the ER, and the ER doctor also packed it with a ton of the iodine packing strips (the incision was only about 1 cm but she said the internal cavity was as big as a tennis ball). I was prescribed antibiotics, but 4 days after leaving the ER they realized that they had put me on the wrong antibiotic and instead started me on amox-clav. I wasn't able to get an appointment with a general surgeon to unpack the wound until 5 days after it was packed at the ER. When I went to the general surgeon, there was still pus in the cavity. He repacked it and told me that I should have a family member unpack and repack the wound every day, with me taking a shower to rinse it when the packing was out. This is my fourth day of having my mother unpack and pack the wound (genuinely the most excruciating pain I have ever felt), and there is still pus in the wound. Yesterday and today, it hurt even more than usual and my mom noticed that the wound on the skin is getting smaller and smaller - it really does not seem like the packing is keeping the outside of the wound open. I am supposed to keep up the daily packing routine for six more days until a follow-up appointment with the general surgeon, but I have no clue how I am supposed to keep packing the wound as it is getting more and more excruciating since the skin is almost closed. Also, the antibiotics seem to be having zero impact whatsoever. I don't want the skin to close because I know that the cavity would probably refill with infection right away, but I also don't know if I can continue packing it. Any suggestions? My general surgeon seemed really flippant and kinda uneducated about pilonidal, and I don't know what to do.

Jamie25

Helpful
Country flag
I am a first-time pilonidal sufferer, and my skin seems to be closing despite having daily packing in my wound post-lancing. Here's my quick background story: I'm 19 years old, female, and not really hairy at all so my pilonidal cyst was super out-of-the-blue. I thought that I had bruised the area around my tailbone or possibly stress fractured it, but after going to the ER due to severe pain, I learned it was pilonidal. I had mine lanced and drained in the ER, and the ER doctor also packed it with a ton of the iodine packing strips (the incision was only about 1 cm but she said the internal cavity was as big as a tennis ball). I was prescribed antibiotics, but 4 days after leaving the ER they realized that they had put me on the wrong antibiotic and instead started me on amox-clav. I wasn't able to get an appointment with a general surgeon to unpack the wound until 5 days after it was packed at the ER. When I went to the general surgeon, there was still pus in the cavity. He repacked it and told me that I should have a family member unpack and repack the wound every day, with me taking a shower to rinse it when the packing was out. This is my fourth day of having my mother unpack and pack the wound (genuinely the most excruciating pain I have ever felt), and there is still pus in the wound. Yesterday and today, it hurt even more than usual and my mom noticed that the wound on the skin is getting smaller and smaller - it really does not seem like the packing is keeping the outside of the wound open. I am supposed to keep up the daily packing routine for six more days until a follow-up appointment with the general surgeon, but I have no clue how I am supposed to keep packing the wound as it is getting more and more excruciating since the skin is almost closed. Also, the antibiotics seem to be having zero impact whatsoever. I don't want the skin to close because I know that the cavity would probably refill with infection right away, but I also don't know if I can continue packing it. Any suggestions? My general surgeon seemed really flippant and kinda uneducated about pilonidal, and I don't know what to do.
Best antibiotic is metronidazole for clearing up infection that's for piliondial wounds, try sorbersant not aquacel as aquacel makes the wound bleed more, and put soft gauze there you should really only pack it every other 2 day's rather than 3 day's if it's small

eqd223

Country flag
Best antibiotic is metronidazole for clearing up infection that's for piliondial wounds, try sorbersant not aquacel as aquacel makes the wound bleed more, and put soft gauze there you should really only pack it every other 2 day's rather than 3 day's if it's small
Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Momo Baggins

Country flag
Hey I had a similar situation (27yo female when it first occured) had it lanced and packed, my mom had to pack it for me twice a day. Mine healed as they declined it would, each day she was able to fit less and less gauze in the hole until it had healed from the inside out. Is your mom still able to get all of the gauze in? I mean, does it seem like only the outer skin is closing, but the internal hole seems large still? If that's the case, it sounds like they didn't clean the cavity out fully.