Post Surgery Anxiety (pit picking) + tips for keeping hair out

leespin

Country flag
Hi everyone, first time poster, short time listener. Have really appreciated the insight from across this forum as I had a recent PD flare up. Fortunately it had not become an abcess and I was able to do a pit picking procedure. The surgery was done along the mid line and there is a noticeable line going down the middle, I'm a bit scared it's a big valley for hair to fall in.

I am just over a week since the procedure, I have dissolvable sutures in place and the dr said I no longer need to keep any dressing on it. Now I am slowly starting to get paranoid about hair falling in, I've already started to brush out a few hairs at a time during the day when I "check" with my fingers. I am wanting suggestions on how to keep the hair out now? I am considering getting a clear tape bandage like this one and sticking it at the top of my natal cleft so it minimises hair falling directly in. Another idea was to stuff tissue in the cleft area to reduce likelihood of hair getting lodged in there.
I would love any and all suggestions for managing hair falling in.

On a side note I am scheduled for laser in 2 weeks time, which will address the main issue but I am aware that the week after laser is when the hair will fall off so hoping to have a clear plan to stop the hair by then.

Thanks so much for reading and for any tips/advices you may have.

I am in the hair battle right along with you. I had a Limberg flap procedure done almost a month ago. The day after my surgeon told me she found LONG hairs, presumably from my head, in my PC. She said she wants me to do laser hair removal and periodically sweep the tailbone area with my fingers to make sure no hair fell back there.

I am a female and I have shoulder length hair. I decided I would wear a swimsuit bottom while washing my hair in the shower. I lose a lot of hair in the washing process.

Your clear tape idea is an interesting one. I just wonder if it might cause irritation always having it there. I say that because I have been wearing abdominal pads over my surgical site and yesterday began experiencing pain in the area where the tape meets the skin.

I also hope the flap procedure itself solves a lot of this because the procedures flatten the natal cleft. A "steep" natal cleft is more likely to pull hairs in.

I am in the hair battle right along with you. I had a Limberg flap procedure done almost a month ago. The day after my surgeon told me she found LONG hairs, presumably from my head, in my PC. She said she wants me to do laser hair removal and periodically sweep the tailbone area with my fingers to make sure no hair fell back there.

I am a female and I have shoulder length hair. I decided I would wear a swimsuit bottom while washing my hair in the shower. I lose a lot of hair in the washing process.

Your clear tape idea is an interesting one. I just wonder if it might cause irritation always having it there. I say that because I have been wearing abdominal pads over my surgical site and yesterday began experiencing pain in the area where the tape meets the skin.

I also hope the flap procedure itself solves a lot of this because the procedures flatten the natal cleft. A "steep" natal cleft is more likely to pull hairs in.
Forgot to mention that I also was recommended to get laser hair removal by my surgeon. Probably will do in January if all goes well with healing process. Also have to resolve an insurance problem with my last laser hair sessions which I could not complete due to an error in coding it/processing it.

Forgot to mention that I also was recommended to get laser hair removal by my surgeon. Probably will do in January if all goes well with healing process. Also have to resolve an insurance problem with my last laser hair sessions which I could not complete due to an error in coding it/processing it.
Not sure if you are still on here. But how is it all going? I think I may have a flare up, have a eerily similar sensation around my coccyx

Hey, good to hear from you. Sorry you suspect a flare-up. Did you end up getting laser hair removal?

For me, so far so good. I continue to wear that bathing suit bottom in the shower while washing my hair. I notice if I do not get a good night's sleep the surgical site feels a little bit sore. It scares me just a little because we all dread a repeat of this whole "adventure".

I completed 3 rounds of laser before I moved overseas, unfortunately it wasn't enough as a lot of the hairs grew back and I can see there is a fair amount dropping as I regularly clear out the clefts.
I definitely have pilonidal sinus but it has so far not flared up and is not causing any pain besides occasionally being difficult to sit on chairs that put more pressure on that area. I don't know whether to do another pit picking or just try to live with it and do things like tea tree oil cleanses which people on this forum vouch for.
Hey, good to hear from you. Sorry you suspect a flare-up. Did you end up getting laser hair removal?

For me, so far so good. I continue to wear that bathing suit bottom in the shower while washing my hair. I notice if I do not get a good night's sleep the surgical site feels a little bit sore. It scares me just a little because we all dread a repeat of this whole "adventure".

Sorry the 3 laser hair treatments were not enough. Do you use a travel pillow for sitting? I found this to provide relief. I keep one at our dining table, at work and in the car.

My flare ups always caused an infection requiring antibiotics. That motivated me to get surgery because one cannot be on antibiotics all the time. I am not sure what I would have done in your situation. I wish you the best.

Back