Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrie89

Hello everyone. I have been reading alot of cleft lifts and was wondering if anyone could explain in full detail what exactly it is. I have tried looking online but there isn't really anywhere that explains it in complete detail. I am not considering it at all for my upcoming surgery...Since I already know what I will be having done.
I may have considered it a litte while ago but me and my surgeon aren't exactly sure what is wrong. I had my 2nd surgery in August and I am still trying to heal from it but something is stopping it from doing anything...so he gave me the option to open it back up and remove watever is in there..and if nothing is in there.. then he is going to give it a good clean since it will be re opend.
Anywho...I am just really curious on what a cleft lift is...I am not good with understanding much lol..Thats why I hope to get a response in full detail...I know there are vids online but I couldn't watch them....yuck :p

louiseh57

Hiya, I had a cleft lift on the 7th oct and it's been amazing for me, I had 4 operations prior to it which did not work, I just wouldn't heal :(

It's pretty hard to explain, it's like you know an excision would be on the midline? That makes it hard to heal, so with the cleft lift they kind of make it so that the scar is to the side of the midline and stitch underneath so that there is no cavity, just dissolvable stiches. And because the wound is not in the midline, it has air get to it and that helps it to heal :)

You also have a drain for a few days which makes sure that the fluid comes out of the wound rather than building up underneath.

I'm sorry i'm not very clear, it's really hard to put into words, Jaredsmom is good at explaining it, her son Jared had it done :)

Here is a picture of mine taken last week:

http://pilonidal.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10889

I really hope this helps a little, and I cannot recommend this operion enough! It's giving me my life back!

Carrie89

Thanks so much for the reply. Sounds really really interesting. How come I have heard that either the cleft lift is a miracle... or its absolutey horrible...what makes it so horrible?

louiseh57

I'm not sure about it being horrible?

I've not heard of many failed cases, and the failed cases seem to be done by doctors who are not experienced enough in the procedure. I'd say to definately see one of the doctors on the lift if you are thinking about going for it :)

louiseh57;64921 said:
I'm not sure about it being horrible?

I've not heard of many failed cases, and the failed cases seem to be done by doctors who are not experienced enough in the procedure. I'd say to definately see one of the doctors on the lift if you are thinking about going for it :)

In my case it failed ;) so.. there are failed cases, hihihihi! ;) But.. most of the times it works out well indeed!! :)

louiseh57

aliciakeysfan1989;64924 said:
In my case it failed ;) so.. there are failed cases, hihihihi! ;) But.. most of the times it works out well indeed!! :)

Aww yeah I wasn't trying to say they don't fail I meant I personally haven't heard of many failed cases :)

louiseh57;64926 said:
Aww yeah I wasn't trying to say they don't fail I meant I personally haven't heard of many failed cases :)

lol, i know that, hihi ;) I didn't take it personally :)

Carrie89

Thanks for the info :) I was guessing too, when I heard if it goes wrong and it goes horrible..I was thinking that if it goes that bad...then whoever does it must be pretty bad at what they are doing.

Jaredsmom

Very Helpful
..I was thinking that if it goes that bad...then whoever does it must be pretty bad at what they are doing.
Carrie, you are exactly right. A perfect summation.

Cleft lift in the hands of an experienced surgeon is a miracle. Cleft lift in the hands of someone who read Bascom's papers and decided to give it a try is a nightmare.

I am convinced that done by an experienced surgeon, cleft lift could cure all but the most extreme cases. Unfortunately there are those who haven't studied this procedure or even spoken to Bascom who decide to give it a go anyhow, and they fail.

So when someone says theirs failed, my first question is "How many cleft lifts had your surgeon done BEFORE you?"

That's why, when cleft lift surgeon shopping on the site's surgeon list, everyone should remember that the names in black are of those who only requested INFORMATION on the lift, the names in red are those KNOWN to have done successful lifts. I'm sure none of us would want a surgeon to try out a new surgery he only READ about on us.

Carrie89

Good to know! Thanks everyone :)

I don't think I will be having a cleft lift for this 3rd surgery, only because the surgeon and I aren't quite sure what is wrong yet. My 2nd surgery I had in august is what I am still trying to heal from, which both surgeries were exisions. Basicly I am just raw down there..and it just won't heal up anymore...and since about 3 weeks now I have been feeling alot of pain on and off in a different area than where it is raw..and it almost feels like another sinus coming back or something...I can tell the pain is under the skin somewhere. Of course the rawness hurts..but not so badly. Anywho the surgeon told me he would open it back up and take a look, if it's anything bad he will (i am guessing) do another excision and give it a good clean. But yeah, thanks again for all this info..I was just super curious about cleft lifts thats why I asked :p I appreciate it

Jaredsmom;64937 said:
Carrie, you are exactly right. A perfect summation.

Cleft lift in the hands of an experienced surgeon is a miracle. Cleft lift in the hands of someone who read Bascom's papers and decided to give it a try is a nightmare.

I am convinced that done by an experienced surgeon, cleft lift could cure all but the most extreme cases. Unfortunately there are those who haven't studied this procedure or even spoken to Bascom who decide to give it a go anyhow, and they fail.

So when someone says theirs failed, my first question is "How many cleft lifts had your surgeon done BEFORE you?"

That's why, when cleft lift surgeon shopping on the site's surgeon list, everyone should remember that the names in black are of those who only requested INFORMATION on the lift, the names in red are those KNOWN to have done successful lifts. I'm sure none of us would want a surgeon to try out a new surgery he only READ about on us.

I do totally agree with this reply... it's really good when the surgeon has a lot of experience with the cleft lift. In my case, the plastic surgeon didn't have experience with this type of surgery. :) So, that's probably the cause of the failure. Or.. I just had bad luck ;-)

But.. if you choose a doctor with experiences, I guess the chance for a succesful cleft lift is much bigger!! :)

mumto2

Hey Carrie,

My son had a 'modified karidakis' surgery done in Melbourne by Paul Kitchen. The paper he wrote on that procedure is here:

http://www.pilonidal.org/pdfs/Kitchen_Karydakis_Technique.pdf

From what I understand, it is very similar to a cleft lift. We chose that as a first surgery for our son and couldn't be happier with the result.

He had his surgery the first week of December, 2008 and was pretty much 'right' 3-4 weeks later.

If you have any trouble healing, I highly recommend looking into it.

Cheers,
Mumto2

PS. I spent my teens growing up in Campbell River, shifted to Alberta for a few years then back to Victoria... immigrated to Australia a few years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.