Recurrence post cleft lift

wound nurse mom

Country flag
We’re back, ugh....my 22year old son had cleft lift with Dr. Caplan in Philadelphia June 2020...did well, no problems for about 3 months...just graduated college, starting new teaching job...today he tells me he has been having off and on drainage with bowel movements, not to the point dressings are needed, no pain. So yes, I’m his mom but also a wound care nurse so this disease makes me feel very helpless...I assessed the area to find the incision very well healed as it has been, no redness, no swelling anywhere. Way down near anus is a very small superficial looking pink area. Does not appear to be open with just looking at it, my son does not like when I probe at things, understood, I am his mom...i fear this may be another sinus or was missed on initial surgery...there are no other areas that I could find indicating further pits...Dr. Caplan has since retired. I know we need to see a physician who specializes in pilonidal disease as we wasted so much time before we found Dr. Caplan. My question, has this happened to anyone else after cleft lift and what was the outcome? we discussed a wait and hold pattern right now as he is getting ready to move into own apartment and start his new teaching job, it’s not a great time for revisions, etc. I’d like to at least have him evaluated for options in meantime until he has time off for whatever is recommended...most likely not until next summer, maybe Christmas break this year....we are in Pa. There is a Dr. Rosengart in Pittsburgh...has anyone been seen by him, experiences? Does anyone do video visits for consults until can see in person? Thank you in advance...we really thought this was behind us...

Jamie25

Helpful
Country flag
We’re back, ugh....my 22year old son had cleft lift with Dr. Caplan in Philadelphia June 2020...did well, no problems for about 3 months...just graduated college, starting new teaching job...today he tells me he has been having off and on drainage with bowel movements, not to the point dressings are needed, no pain. So yes, I’m his mom but also a wound care nurse so this disease makes me feel very helpless...I assessed the area to find the incision very well healed as it has been, no redness, no swelling anywhere. Way down near anus is a very small superficial looking pink area. Does not appear to be open with just looking at it, my son does not like when I probe at things, understood, I am his mom...i fear this may be another sinus or was missed on initial surgery...there are no other areas that I could find indicating further pits...Dr. Caplan has since retired. I know we need to see a physician who specializes in pilonidal disease as we wasted so much time before we found Dr. Caplan. My question, has this happened to anyone else after cleft lift and what was the outcome? we discussed a wait and hold pattern right now as he is getting ready to move into own apartment and start his new teaching job, it’s not a great time for revisions, etc. I’d like to at least have him evaluated for options in meantime until he has time off for whatever is recommended...most likely not until next summer, maybe Christmas break this year....we are in Pa. There is a Dr. Rosengart in Pittsburgh...has anyone been seen by him, experiences? Does anyone do video visits for consults until can see in person? Thank you in advance...we really thought this was behind us...
Dr innerman is great in the USA feel free to drop him a message I'm sure he can take a look at you're sons cleft lift and reassure you

wound nurse mom

Country flag
Hi there, Yes, his name is mentioned many times on this forum...He was our original plan until we found Dr. Caplan who also has high regards on this forum, since he was so much closer to us. The traveling is a huge deal right now with his schedule trying to "start a life". I did reach out to Dr. Immerman's office to at least look into getting a consult to see what exactly is going on and then if necessary will make the trip later in the year when my son has a break from teaching...he's also in the process of moving 1.5 hours away from us so I won't be able to stalk him as much as I do now. He is a cyclist so I keep thinking it is something related to this...I am hoping it is something totally unrelated but I think anyone that has dealt with this horrible disease knows the reality...thanks for your encouragement, I will be sending pictures to Dr. immerman this week for review to see if another surgery is warranted...Hope you are doing well!

HopefulDad

Country flag
JonH21- I’ve seen you post about the lower incision splitting a bit. I’m 3 weeks post op with Dr Immerman. I had a post op infection and that bottom inch split a bit. How long did yours take to close up?

Jamie25

Helpful
Country flag
JonH21- I’ve seen you post about the lower incision splitting a bit. I’m 3 weeks post op with Dr Immerman. I had a post op infection and that bottom inch split a bit. How long did yours take to close up?
All cleft lifts are prone to a split near the bottom unfortunately probably 5 to 6 months full heal

Momo Baggins

Country flag
Hello, I'm 1 month post-op with Dr. Immerman and I think I may be experiencing this same issue. It's hard to tell, the area where it appears to be split is SO small. There was a tiny scab there that I could always feel with my hand, it's gone now so I'm assuming there is exposed tissue there now and that's why I'm feeling so much irritation. There doesn't appear to be any swelling, just some pinkness. I was all ready to go back to work next week but now I'm starting to freak out a bit :(

HopefulDad

Country flag
Hello, I'm 1 month post-op with Dr. Immerman and I think I may be experiencing this same issue. It's hard to tell, the area where it appears to be split is SO small. There was a tiny scab there that I could always feel with my hand, it's gone now so I'm assuming there is exposed tissue there now and that's why I'm feeling so much irritation. There doesn't appear to be any swelling, just some pinkness. I was all ready to go back to work next week but now I'm starting to freak out a bit :(
Sounds like normal healing if just pink, likely just scab falling off. You mention feeling irritation. Does it hurt?

Momo Baggins

Country flag
Sounds like normal healing if just pink, likely just scab falling off. You mention feeling irritation. Does it hurt?
There's a mild burning sensation, kind of like a paper cut. And it will last for an hour or two and then ease up depending on if I'm sitting on it in a way that's stretching it or not.

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
It took a good 2-3 weeks to fully close. Try using vitamin c lotion. That helped me a lot. And make sure to keep as dry as possible

Jamie25

Helpful
Country flag
It took a good 2-3 weeks to fully close. Try using vitamin c lotion. That helped me a lot. And make sure to keep as dry as possible
I'm sorry but a cleft lift surgery does not take 2-3 weeks to full heal and close unless you're superman it takes 5 to 6 months 2 to 3 weeks is way to early

JonH21

Very Helpful
Country flag
I'm sorry but a cleft lift surgery does not take 2-3 weeks to full heal and close unless you're superman it takes 5 to 6 months 2 to 3 weeks is way to early
Lol ok you know my butt better than me. Also I’m not talking about my cleft lift. I’m talking about where the bottom opened up a little. Get over yourself