Scar cleaning post healing?

Bella_Bella

Country flag
Hi everyone!

Recently healed after open surgery (yay!) and wondering how to keep this scar area clean. Nurses don't seem to have any specific tips, other than sticking to regular soap or saline water. You can laugh at me, I'm totally overthinking this, but I'm not sure how hard I should be scrubbing. I worry that not scrubbing enough will not keep the area clean, and cause recurrence, but scrubbing too hard can obviously tear the tissue. Right now I am just using the water from my shower, with some mild soap with my finger to get at the area. Is anyone else being a little more aggressive? Pulling cheeks apart and using a washcloth, Etc.? I'm sure we can all appreciate the paranoia and wanting to stay in recovery LOL.

Jamie25

Country flag
Hi everyone!

Recently healed after open surgery (yay!) and wondering how to keep this scar area clean. Nurses don't seem to have any specific tips, other than sticking to regular soap or saline water. You can laugh at me, I'm totally overthinking this, but I'm not sure how hard I should be scrubbing. I worry that not scrubbing enough will not keep the area clean, and cause recurrence, but scrubbing too hard can obviously tear the tissue. Right now I am just using the water from my shower, with some mild soap with my finger to get at the area. Is anyone else being a little more aggressive? Pulling cheeks apart and using a washcloth, Etc.? I'm sure we can all appreciate the paranoia and wanting to stay in recovery LOL.

Just be very careful the scar tissue is very soft and can reopen again I would just use wet wipes and just gentle daily salt bath's Epson salt is good for wounds you don't want to over do it too much on the soaps a nice warm relaxing bath tends to do the trick. And I know that sitting too long could cause damage.

Bella_Bella

Country flag
Just be very careful the scar tissue is very soft and can reopen again I would just use wet wipes and just gentle daily salt bath's Epson salt is good for wounds you don't want to over do it too much on the soaps a nice warm relaxing bath tends to do the trick. And I know that sitting too long could cause damage.
Thank you for the reply!