Scared - Drainage after 2 months post OP

fpilonidal

Country flag
Hello good people, I had my pilonidal surgery done on 18th Aug, 2022, where the infected tissue was excised and left open to heal.

Everything was going well and I had no infection, and on every dressing change the doctor would say the wound is looking healthy, but since a last couple of days, my wound has been leaking clear fluid with a bit of pink color, there is no fever or any kind of pain, but I am concerned about the fluid as its soaking through my dressing, and leaving stains on my clothes.

The doctor said, its alright and I just need to change the dressing but I am worried why is my wound leaking after 2 months, while it never leaked after 1 week post op(normal inflammatory phase).

Does anybody have any clue what might be happening? I still have an inch wide opening left, and about 0.8-1cm deep wound. I am pretty much tired of these dressing changes and tired of this disease overall

1) Increase in mobility can cause a small rupture in scarring/ healing tissue resulting in short term drainage. Clear to pink is not terrible.
2) Sitting or other activity limiting circulation or increasing fluid pressure on the healing site can cause drainage.
Evaluate your activities.

Update: So I took pictures of my clothes stains and also my dressing and sent it to my surgeon and he said it was betadine staining from inside. He also added there is nothing much to worry about as 90% of the wound is healed.

I am relieved somewhat now, but I still have some hard time believing that its betadine.(the stain doesn't come immediately, it comes the day after the dressing is changed), I am adviced to change dressing once every 2 days.

Hello good people, I had my pilonidal surgery done on 18th Aug, 2022, where the infected tissue was excised and left open to heal.

Everything was going well and I had no infection, and on every dressing change the doctor would say the wound is looking healthy, but since a last couple of days, my wound has been leaking clear fluid with a bit of pink color, there is no fever or any kind of pain, but I am concerned about the fluid as its soaking through my dressing, and leaving stains on my clothes.

The doctor said, its alright and I just need to change the dressing but I am worried why is my wound leaking after 2 months, while it never leaked after 1 week post op(normal inflammatory phase).

Does anybody have any clue what might be happening? I still have an inch wide opening left, and about 0.8-1cm deep wound. I am pretty much tired of these dressing changes and tired of this disease overall
You're doing all the right things. I can't guess as to why this is happening but I can say that I had a similar experience 8 months after my excision. I had a stubborn little hole beneath it that just would not close! The nurse practitioner applied silver nitrate to it in the clinic to encourage it to close up.

You're doing all the right things. I can't guess as to why this is happening but I can say that I had a similar experience 8 months after my excision. I had a stubborn little hole beneath it that just would not close! The nurse practitioner applied silver nitrate to it in the clinic to encourage it to close up.
Thanks for replying diseasedone, yesterday during my dressing change my doctor did find some hypergranulation tissue I guess, my surgeon told the nurse that new skin is coming over and they need to remove it. They cut it or took it out with some tweezers(12/10 Pain).

After this painful experience, my leakage has stopped completely and I am also more comfortable in walking now. I guess it was some granulation tissue as the leakage always seemed like wound exudate mixed with blood.

Back