Small PC. Infected once and popped on own. Has not given Issues since. Surgeon recommended I get laser hair removal. Worried it might cause a flair up

dipcupcup

Country flag
Small PC. 3 open sinus tracts. Infected once and popped on own. Has not given Issues since (been about 1.5 years). Surgeon (one on the approved list for the greats) recommended I get laser hair removal since its only been once and he wouldn't want to do surgery until it happened another time or two.
I have the money and a place I trust, but worried it might cause a flair up? Has anyone done laser hair removal? is it safe for the cyst area as well as the sinus tracts? would love to hear stories of people doing it pre surgery

Nana Tadros

Country flag
If you have hair tracts laser hair removal will not do anything. It will remove the hairs on the surface but not under the skin. When my oldest son had the surgery with Dr Wadie in Raleigh I asked him this specific question and he told me it does not work. He was funny when he said “Why spend few hundred bucks on laser while I can give him a free one at the time of surgery”.

Once the disease is removed and the hair tracts out, it might be a good idea to have laser hair removal to have less chance of recurrence.

Make sure you see an experienced surgeon who does a lot of cleft lifts. Make sure you are getting the cleft lift otherwise you have a high chance of come back anyway

dipcupcup

Country flag
If you have hair tracts laser hair removal will not do anything. It will remove the hairs on the surface but not under the skin. When my oldest son had the surgery with Dr Wadie in Raleigh I asked him this specific question and he told me it does not work. He was funny when he said “Why spend few hundred bucks on laser while I can give him a free one at the time of surgery”.

Once the disease is removed and the hair tracts out, it might be a good idea to have laser hair removal to have less chance of recurrence.

Make sure you see an experienced surgeon who does a lot of cleft lifts. Make sure you are getting the cleft lift otherwise you have a high chance of come back anyway
Interesting. I have talked to two surgeons on the recommended list here who told me to do it before surgery because my cyst was small and I have only had one occurrence. They said loose hair could get in there still. I think it could be a decent preventative measure perhaps, even if the odds are low,