Terrified about the after care HELP!

GM1987

Country flag
Really need some advice if anyone can help? I'm a 35 year old male who was diagnosed with autism a few years ago and this experience has sent my anxiety through the roof.

I've never had this before and last Monday I went to doctors in the afternoon as my coccyx area was really painful and swollen so was told to go to a & e. I had an pilonidal abscess drained and the infected tissue cut out midday on Tuesday and was put out for it, it's an open wound. On my discharge notes it said I would need the dressing changed daily but nothing was said about the wound being packed. I saw a nurse at my GP on Wednesday and she was very surprised I was let out on the same day (I was discharged later on Tuesday evening) as the wound is quite deep and she put some packing in and wrote me a prescription for packing ribbon and dressing pads but said I wouldn't need it packed and changed daily but every other day instead. Saw her again yesterday and she cleaned the wound with saline solution and filled it with more packing this time and said the wound looked as good as it could be (for now anyway). She was very reassuring and kind so I feel like I trust her. I was told not to shower for the time being and to leave the dressing on until Monday and not get it wet but can change the pad so just have to have a strip wash for the time being. I'm worried though that since I can't take the dressing off and wash the area properly sweat may cause bacteria to form in the area, should I be worried about this or will it be ok until Monday? I'm seeing a different nurse on Monday but seeing the same one again on Wednesday.

My biggest issue at the moment though is going toilet, I haven't had a bowel movement since last Saturday (1 week!) and was given laxative on Thursday to take. I took some in the evening then the recommended dose yesterday and today but when I sit on the toilet nothing is happening still and when it does happen I'm scared in case the stool is big and might touch some of the dressing which can't be changed until Monday, also I'm not sure how I will wipe properly. I did ask the nurse this and she made sure the dressing didn't go down too far to where the opening for stools is but I'm still very paranoid about it.

Luckily I'm not in any pain except the odd stinging feeling every now and then but not enough for me to take pain medication, the hospital did give me morphine oral solution to take on top of pain killers in case. The nurse told me to take morphine before I have the wound packed which did help yesterday when she packed it and it wasn't as bad as what I though it would be which was good.

Should I be this worried or am I panicking over nothing? I don't know who to ask for advice tonight.

diseasedone

Country flag
I understand your concern about not bathing. I had a surgery 6 days ago and I was told to sponge bathe. I use a surgical drain and that is why.

I would just follow your nurse's advice as best you can. For my excision that I had a few years ago I just did sponge bathing then too.

diseasedone

Country flag
Really need some advice if anyone can help? I'm a 35 year old male who was diagnosed with autism a few years ago and this experience has sent my anxiety through the roof.

I've never had this before and last Monday I went to doctors in the afternoon as my coccyx area was really painful and swollen so was told to go to a & e. I had an pilonidal abscess drained and the infected tissue cut out midday on Tuesday and was put out for it, it's an open wound. On my discharge notes it said I would need the dressing changed daily but nothing was said about the wound being packed. I saw a nurse at my GP on Wednesday and she was very surprised I was let out on the same day (I was discharged later on Tuesday evening) as the wound is quite deep and she put some packing in and wrote me a prescription for packing ribbon and dressing pads but said I wouldn't need it packed and changed daily but every other day instead. Saw her again yesterday and she cleaned the wound with saline solution and filled it with more packing this time and said the wound looked as good as it could be (for now anyway). She was very reassuring and kind so I feel like I trust her. I was told not to shower for the time being and to leave the dressing on until Monday and not get it wet but can change the pad so just have to have a strip wash for the time being. I'm worried though that since I can't take the dressing off and wash the area properly sweat may cause bacteria to form in the area, should I be worried about this or will it be ok until Monday? I'm seeing a different nurse on Monday but seeing the same one again on Wednesday.

My biggest issue at the moment though is going toilet, I haven't had a bowel movement since last Saturday (1 week!) and was given laxative on Thursday to take. I took some in the evening then the recommended dose yesterday and today but when I sit on the toilet nothing is happening still and when it does happen I'm scared in case the stool is big and might touch some of the dressing which can't be changed until Monday, also I'm not sure how I will wipe properly. I did ask the nurse this and she made sure the dressing didn't go down too far to where the opening for stools is but I'm still very paranoid about it.

Luckily I'm not in any pain except the odd stinging feeling every now and then but not enough for me to take pain medication, the hospital did give me morphine oral solution to take on top of pain killers in case. The nurse told me to take morphine before I have the wound packed which did help yesterday when she packed it and it wasn't as bad as what I though it would be which was good.

Should I be this worried or am I panicking over nothing? I don't know who to ask for advice tonight.
I also get the worry about the constipation. Laxatives make sense. I was told to drink lots of water too.

GM1987

Country flag
I've had the wound packed and dressed 3 times now and last time had a waterproof dressing put on so I can have a shower tomorrow morning before seeing the nurse again. Still constipated it's so frustrating, I've been drinking water and have been taking laxatives since last Thursday but nothing. I get the urge to go then sit on the toilet but then the feeling goes away, if I could push it would be fine but I was told not to strain at all. Surely this isn't healthy it's been 10 days since I last went!!

GM1987

Country flag
I haven't needed to to take any pain medication except some oral morphine solution before I go to get the wound packed and dressed as I was told by the nurse to do so, it was probably due to the medication I had while in hospital last week. I managed to go toilet a bit earlier so hopefully bowel movements should be getting back to normal now.

I'm still a bit unsure with the same dressing being left on for 2 days at a time as the wound is still bleeding, not excessively just a patch on the padding that's over the dressing which I am able to change but I suppose there will be some bleeding as I was told the wound is quite deep. No pain at all though so I suppose that's one good sign.

diseasedone

Country flag
I haven't needed to to take any pain medication except some oral morphine solution before I go to get the wound packed and dressed as I was told by the nurse to do so, it was probably due to the medication I had while in hospital last week. I managed to go toilet a bit earlier so hopefully bowel movements should be getting back to normal now.

I'm still a bit unsure with the same dressing being left on for 2 days at a time as the wound is still bleeding, not excessively just a patch on the padding that's over the dressing which I am able to change but I suppose there will be some bleeding as I was told the wound is quite deep. No pain at all though so I suppose that's one good sign.

:cheer:
You went to the bathroom! I know I am being a bit silly but as someone that is recently post op herself I realize it is a big deal.

Glad there isn't any pain.

Snowcloud27

Country flag

I’ve had 2 operations for my pilonidal sinus (I’m quite unlucky), I’m currently healing from my second one. The first one I had was over a year ago involved me packing it. When I went from leaving the dressing on from one day to two days, I was nervous and the first time they tried that they then changed back to every day for another week and then went to every two. If it’s too much seeping and feels a bit smelly (that’s what I was always concerned about even though no one else could smell it) then the nurse is usually happy to follow your guide. Eventually I started going every 3 days and it’s nice when you get to that point as you can do more of your usual life stuff and feel less confined to the medical side of your life. Eventually I was able to do it myself looking in the mirror which was a lot quicker. Hope this helps to relax you a bit :)