Two teens with pilonidal cysts in Virginia

Bubufxr

First time poster: Exhausted mom here. I have two teenaged sons that have developed pilonidal cysts over the last several months months: 1 required an I&D within days of it developing due to abscessing and his appears to be healing (fingers crossed).
The other son’s has probably been present about 5 months; it has not abcessed but has developed a sinus which will now be requiring surgical repair.
I think the general surgeon we’ve been consulting with does the traditional excision but he will also consult with a plastic surgeon? A lot of info was coming at me yesterday during the encounter with the latest surgeon all while Im trying to keep our son calm because he’s freaking out about the risk of missing his senior year of highschool sports & losing his athletic scholarships.
After reading the studies, I’m now strongly leaning into getting other opinions from surgeons that perform the cleft lift in Virginia.
but anywho, I think I’m just venting...or hoping someone has magic snake oil to fix this/bide us time.
The only thing I’m certain of is I don’t ever want to see another butt crack after all of this is over.

Nana Tadros

Country flag
You remind me of my own situation. My 2 sons were a little older. We live in NC. Both had at least 4-5 failed surgeries between open wound with packing, closed wound, open wound with Vac, you name it. All failed. Two years of waisted time and painful dressing changes. Nothing worked. We finally came across Dr Wadie in Raleigh. My older had his cleft lift with him 2 years ago and was back to normal in about 2 weeks. My younger son signed up 1 month later after he witnessed how his older sibling did. Go to Dr Wadie and nowhere else. It is well worth it. He has a great system for patients from out of town. Check his website www.pilonidalsurgery.org. He is amazing

Bubufxr

You remind me of my own situation. My 2 sons were a little older. We live in NC. Both had at least 4-5 failed surgeries between open wound with packing, closed wound, open wound with Vac, you name it. All failed. Two years of waisted time and painful dressing changes. Nothing worked. We finally came across Dr Wadie in Raleigh. My older had his cleft lift with him 2 years ago and was back to normal in about 2 weeks. My younger son signed up 1 month later after he witnessed how his older sibling did. Go to Dr Wadie and nowhere else. It is well worth it. He has a great system for patients from out of town. Check his website www.pilonidalsurgery.org. He is amazing
Oh that is so awesome to hear!!! I actually had just filled out an online request for an appointment with him prior to reading this. I know he’s ‘out of network’ with my horrible health insurance but I’ll do whatever we need to do to get it paid for if they’ll see us!!

Nana Tadros

Country flag
The best thing is to call his office and schedule an appointment. He takes almost all insurance according to his office. I owe him a lot after saving my 2 sons lives.

Nana Tadros

Country flag
Make sure you see him personally in his office at Carolina Pediatric surgery. He used to be with Wakemed but left Wakemed to dedicate more time for pilonidal patients. They atill have his name there but the surgeons there maybe just started doing the cleft lift. I will not trust any one else. Check his website pilonidalsurgery.org