Well, that was nice while it lasted

Glinda

Country flag
I had closed excision surgery seven months ago. Recovery was painful and a bit slow, but life was so much better once I started healing. Alas, it appears the pilonidal curse has returned. Already. I can't feel anything on the surface, but I couldn't the first time around, either, even though my cyst and sinus were ginormous. How do I know it's back? The sensation of tracts forming is very specific (like something crawling under my skin) and it's been just horrible the last couple of weeks.

This is really depressing. I've been doing sitz baths, using tea tree oil and dousing the area with lots of with hazel, sleeping on my stomach, etc. Today I got some organic, high-quality castor oil and I made a compress of that to apply to the area. I'm too old for this and I don't think I have another surgery in me, so I have high hopes for the castor oil treatment. I know it's commonly believed that pilonidal cysts are from hair, but I have literally no body hair. None. It's a female family trait. The surgeon who woked on me in October said there's something odd about my tailbone anatomy that makes me prone to pilonidal disease. Something about friction and thin skin. Wheee!

I blame yoga pants. During this pandemic year, I wore yoga pants a lot. I guess I should have gone with cotton sweatpants.

Ugh. This sucks.

Spokm34

Very Helpful
Country flag
I had closed excision surgery seven months ago. Recovery was painful and a bit slow, but life was so much better once I started healing. Alas, it appears the pilonidal curse has returned. Already. I can't feel anything on the surface, but I couldn't the first time around, either, even though my cyst and sinus were ginormous. How do I know it's back? The sensation of tracts forming is very specific (like something crawling under my skin) and it's been just horrible the last couple of weeks.

This is really depressing. I've been doing sitz baths, using tea tree oil and dousing the area with lots of with hazel, sleeping on my stomach, etc. Today I got some organic, high-quality castor oil and I made a compress of that to apply to the area. I'm too old for this and I don't think I have another surgery in me, so I have high hopes for the castor oil treatment. I know it's commonly believed that pilonidal cysts are from hair, but I have literally no body hair. None. It's a female family trait. The surgeon who woked on me in October said there's something odd about my tailbone anatomy that makes me prone to pilonidal disease. Something about friction and thin skin. Wheee!

I blame yoga pants. During this pandemic year, I wore yoga pants a lot. I guess I should have gone with cotton sweatpants.

Ugh. This sucks.
Really sorry but open surgery is the worst cleft lift ultimate cure

Glinda

Country flag
Really sorry but open surgery is the worst cleft lift ultimate cure
I had a closed excision, not open. Lots of tissue removed, then stitched up right of the cleft midline with three layers of stitches. Cleft lift is actually not for everyone, and my surgeon (who does cleft lifts, too), said it was not the best option in my case. Although this was not the zigzag-type cleft lift, my cleft was significantly lifted as a result of this surgery and my butt was actually recontoured. I have a shallow butt crack now and I'm still getting used to that.