What's the difference between Pilonidal Sinus and Cyst? Need help understanding my situation

lewlew34

Country flag
Hello all. For the past 2-3 years I've had a sinus or pit above my buttocks that constantly drains fluid. Other times it will hurt more and bleed. I do have to say I noticed it starting to act up more when I became overweight and more dormant at work. Basically, I am constantly sitting down all day. I really haven't noticed the sinus until then but I believe it has been with me for a very long time.

Is this sinus or pit technically a cyst? I understand I should see a doctor, but I would like to avoid that. Has anyone done anything to stop the drainage and are able to live with the pit or sinus peacefully :) Would losing weight help close or shrink the sinus? I also saw a youtube video where a guy used OXY medicated Acne pads to clean it and it helped him. Wondering what your all thoughts are on that Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Zaddi

Country flag
Hello all. For the past 2-3 years I've had a sinus or pit above my buttocks that constantly drains fluid. Other times it will hurt more and bleed. I do have to say I noticed it starting to act up more when I became overweight and more dormant at work. Basically, I am constantly sitting down all day. I really haven't noticed the sinus until then but I believe it has been with me for a very long time.

Is this sinus or pit technically a cyst? I understand I should see a doctor, but I would like to avoid that. Has anyone done anything to stop the drainage and are able to live with the pit or sinus peacefully :) Would losing weight help close or shrink the sinus? I also saw a youtube video where a guy used OXY medicated Acne pads to clean it and it helped him. Wondering what your all thoughts are on that Thank you in advance
Greetings, from what I understand which I am just learning even though I have suffered this for over 20 years... the Cyst creates a sinus and the whole thing needs to be removed to stop it from coming back. But even if it is removed some people will continue to get cysts.
Cysts tend to form from either debri getting trapped in your crack like hair or lint maybe... so it's good prevention to keep that area in check, keep it clean, you can wipe it with baby wipes or something to minimize sweat and irritants.
Losing weight could definitely help. Although I weigh less than 120 pounds and I still have the issue. It can simply be the way you are built, if you have a deep crevice.... it can also be from an ingrown hair if you have course hair that ingrows, some recommend laser hair removal if that's the case.
I have lived with P.Cysts for over 20 years but having any clue as to what was wrong with me... lived in a lot of pain. Seems to be getting worse and creating a track which is headed south with new cysts forming along the way...No good! Thankfully, I asked for prayer and those new cysts seem to have dissolved but the main one at the tailbone is still as painful as ever. I am currently seeking my options. I was scheduled for surgery, but plan to cancel as I am learning of better surgery techniques and laser therapy that have better outcomes.
Soaking in the tub can help relieve the pain.

paininarse_uk

Greetings, from what I understand which I am just learning even though I have suffered this for over 20 years... the Cyst creates a sinus and the whole thing needs to be removed to stop it from coming back. But even if it is removed some people will continue to get cysts.
Cysts tend to form from either debri getting trapped in your crack like hair or lint maybe... so it's good prevention to keep that area in check, keep it clean, you can wipe it with baby wipes or something to minimize sweat and irritants.
Losing weight could definitely help. Although I weigh less than 120 pounds and I still have the issue. It can simply be the way you are built, if you have a deep crevice.... it can also be from an ingrown hair if you have course hair that ingrows, some recommend laser hair removal if that's the case.
I have lived with P.Cysts for over 20 years but having any clue as to what was wrong with me... lived in a lot of pain. Seems to be getting worse and creating a track which is headed south with new cysts forming along the way...No good! Thankfully, I asked for prayer and those new cysts seem to have dissolved but the main one at the tailbone is still as painful as ever. I am currently seeking my options. I was scheduled for surgery, but plan to cancel as I am learning of better surgery techniques and laser therapy that have better outcomes.
Soaking in the tub can help relieve the pain.
Surgery is the only way you can get the cyst and track removed.
If you’ve never had surgery I suggest you do it. 20 years is a long time to live with this annoying pain. I had surgery first time just to remove the cyst, it solved 80% of problem, however the pits were not taken out and the infection has reoccurred more recently.

I have now just done Bascoms procedure. Lord knows if this will work but the stats suggest a 90% success rate. So if it does solve the problem, hopefully the surgery combined with keeping clean/dry in the region will have solved the issue once and for all