Worldwide Map of Advanced Pilonidal Surgeons

Sasha

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
We've added a map to help patients find doctors doing these procedures:

• Cleft Lift/Modified Karydakis
  • Gips Procedure/Pit Picking
  • EPSiT (Endoscopic Pilonidal Sinus Treatment)

Please use this forum for alert us when a doctor retires, moves, isn't doing a listed procedure, or needs to be added to this map.

We've added a map to help patients find doctors doing these procedures:

• Cleft Lift/Modified Karydakis
  • Gips Procedure/Pit Picking
  • EPSiT (Endoscopic Pilonidal Sinus Treatment)

Please use this forum for alert us when a doctor retires, moves, isn't doing a listed procedure, or needs to be added to this map.
What about laser treatment? There are many studies and references to laser treatment, SiLaC laser therapy, or sinus laser ablation treatment being highly effective, less invasive, and with lower rates of recurrence for Pilonidal cysts, but I am having trouble locating where any doctors are actually offering this procedure. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2237936319301339

My understanding is that EPSiT (Endoscopic Pilonidal Sinus Treatment) is a solid minimally invasive option for clearing the sinus. This 2023 article below compares EPSiT and SiLAC: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10091928/
Now I have a question...
I just had a surgery consult where we discussed conventional surgery (the only options discussed were wound-creation surgery and laser hair removal after the surgery). This center does not do endoscopic techniques for pilonidal surgery (I called back later after I researched to ask).
Does anyone have any thoughts to share about holding out to avoid the conventional invasive surgery? I'm going back and forth between holding out for perhaps another 2 years to save up to pay for endoscopic surgery myself OR follow through with the consult recommendation and get conventional surgery.

My understanding is that EPSiT (Endoscopic Pilonidal Sinus Treatment) is a solid minimally invasive option for clearing the sinus. This 2023 article below compares EPSiT and SiLAC: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10091928/
Now I have a question...
I just had a surgery consult where we discussed conventional surgery (the only options discussed were wound-creation surgery and laser hair removal after the surgery). This center does not do endoscopic techniques for pilonidal surgery (I called back later after I researched to ask).
Does anyone have any thoughts to share about holding out to avoid the conventional invasive surgery? I'm going back and forth between holding out for perhaps another 2 years to save up to pay for endoscopic surgery myself OR follow through with the consult recommendation and get conventional surgery.
after having 4 surgeries and wasting 10 months of my life. I can definitely say that the EPSiT surgery is the one that worked for me.

My son who is 19 has a virtual consultation tomorrow with one of 3-4 colorectal surgeons specializing in pilonidal disease and offering SILAC, in California . I believe there’s one in NY and one in Wisconsin too. I’ve been following the case studies and trials since 2019 and just this month they are starting to offer it. He has had 2 cleft flap repairs that were unsuccessful and only created more pain and chronic problems. We are on our 5th treatment of laser hair removal which has completely eliminated all but a stray hair or two. Wound care Dr was debreding cavity/tract for about 6mo every 2-4wks and mild and temporary improvement was noted but continued to recur and flare. We have used Vashe to irritgate every 48hrs and I keep the top opened so it will prevent abscess. He uses a peri bottle 1-2x daily with hibiclens surgical scrub mixed with hot h20 to keep the surface of the wound and area surrounding as close to sterilize as possible and he’s only had one infection in 2yrs and that was due to no hygiene or wound care performed for 3-4 days after working 3-16hr shifts at work which is labor intensive. Please let us know here if anyone is considering or has recently had the SILAC
treatment, especially with chronic recurrent pilonidal disease. I will keep everyone updated after our virtual visit to determine if he’s even a candidate. Prayers to everyone out there dealing with this

Now I have a question...
I had the conventional open wound surgery 7 years ago and I'm still having issues with reoccurence.

Back