Wound care help?

Wishthiswasover

Country flag
Hi,
I’m new to the forum but sadly have been dealing with chronic wounds since 2017. I’ve had three surgeries on the area, two were open surgeries and the last one was closed.

Since my last surgery about 7 months ago, I have a small area of the scar that is open from where the stitches opened. I feel like I’ve tried every medical dressing under the sun and I’ve tried Multidex powder and am now trying Manuka honey. The wound is very small (about 3/4 of a dime size) and the tissue is filled in, the skin just won’t grow over it.

If anyone has any advice on things to try, I’d be very grateful! The whole cycle of having chronic wounds has been destroying my mental health and I just want it to end. I feel like my surgeon can’t do more for me and I feel the same about my wound care team since we’ve tried all the usual dressings.

I’m feeling so hopeless about this and afraid that I will be stuck like this forever.

Thank you for any thoughts.

My son is having the same issue hs wound will not heal. It's almost two years. Now wound care has me irrigatiing with a mix of white vinegar and water, and still packing with Prisma and Hydrofera Blue. My son has not been able to work since his surgery and I can tell how depressed he is. Wish there was a way they could stitch it up and be done with it but told that wont happen. Good luck.

You can try diluted vinegar soaked on the packing strip to layover the opening or slightly pack in the spot that is left. Change it twice daily. So not just a vinegar rinse, actually soak the strip into the diluted vinegar solution. Once it starts to heal over (meaning less depth), consider switching between iodine cream direct to the skin or diluted vinegar on packing strip laid overtop, alternating each day (Monday iodine, Tuesday vinegar on a strip). These are the partial instructions from a reputable university wound clinic:

-Mix 1/2 cup white vinegar with 3 cups of water, Diluting it
-Keep the solution in the refrigerator in a closed container. can use this batch for 1 week. After 1 week discard and make a new batch.
-Clean the wound and pat dry.
-Pour the acidic solution onto a gauze strip, and wring it some so it is not dripping wet
-Place the dampened packing strip over the wound area, trying not to overlap on healthy skin
-(Gauze strips in the diluted vinegar can be laid over the top of very shallow wounds, or packed into deeper wounds)
-Cover the wound with a piece of loose gauze folded up and slightly pushed in (or similar)
-Do this in the AM and PM

Vinegar like this is something that we could technically ingest, so it is natural and a more risk adverse option.

Hi,
I’m new to the forum but sadly have been dealing with chronic wounds since 2017. I’ve had three surgeries on the area, two were open surgeries and the last one was closed.

Since my last surgery about 7 months ago, I have a small area of the scar that is open from where the stitches opened. I feel like I’ve tried every medical dressing under the sun and I’ve tried Multidex powder and am now trying Manuka honey. The wound is very small (about 3/4 of a dime size) and the tissue is filled in, the skin just won’t grow over it.

If anyone has any advice on things to try, I’d be very grateful! The whole cycle of having chronic wounds has been destroying my mental health and I just want it to end. I feel like my surgeon can’t do more for me and I feel the same about my wound care team since we’ve tried all the usual dressings.

I’m feeling so hopeless about this and afraid that I will be stuck like this forever.

Thank you for any thoughts.
Are you getting adequate sleep? Are you eating enough protein and taking in all necessary vitamins?

Back