Wound Vac Side Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmahaPinky

I have a quick question regarding a side effect of using a Wound Vac. First, let me give you some background on my situation. I was diagnosed with a Pilonidal Cyst and had my first surgery December 5, 2008. It was an excision of the cyst along with a cleft closure. It appeared to work but, unfortunately, about a week later I developed an abscess and they had to open the wound. We were left packing it twice daily. Unfortunately, it did not heal up and on February 20, 2009 I had to go in for a Wound Debridement. Once again we were packing the wound twice daily. However, once again the wound would not heal so I had to go in for another Wound Debridement on April 16, 2009. [:^] This time, I was prescribed a Wound Vac. So far the Wound Vac appears to be working. The size of the wound is decreasing. However, I have developed another problem. I am suffering from some mild incontinence. I say mild because I still have daily full bowel movements. However, I am having regular discharge between bowel movements. My surgeon says that it is just a side effect of having the Wound Vac on. I hope she is right because it is annoying, embarrassing, and very uncomfortable. Has anyone who has used a Wound Vac experienced this before? If not, do you think my surgeon is right?

Thanks!

cricket1

Helpful
first of all can i ask what kind of experience your surgeon had with the cleft? i had also had a cleft before and it failed and i just had another cleft but by a doc off the list.

anyway i don't have a good opinion about the problem with the vac. i've had one before but only for 3 days as my body rejected it, so to speak.

OmahaPinky

My surgeon has had some experience with the cleft procedure but not a ton. She is the newest doctor at the colon & rectal syrgery clinic I went to. I am actually her first Wound Vac patient although her partners have used the Wound Vac before.

cricket1

Helpful
the only reason i ask is cause is interesting to me to see how many people have had bad luck with the cleft lift. theres so many people that swear by the cleft. that its a miracle procedure and after i had my last cleft, i really want to believe it failed due to his inexperience rather than its because i may have to live with this forever.

i am recovering right now from my fifth surgery, another cleft but by a very experienced surgeon. hes only had one failure in 20 years and i'm really really holding onto hope that my fifth surgery will be my final surgery.

jvanveen

Omaha-
I have not experienced that with my wound vac. Are you on a stool softener with the pain meds or something else that could cause that? It doesn't make sense to me that the vac would make that happen.
Good luck

needsupportmom

Omaha, it could be due to a fistula. Please check this out. Before my daughter's pilonidal excision, she had a fistula and that was what was happening to her.

I am hoping it is nothing serious or bad but please have it checked out.

OmahaPinky

I am not taking any kind of stool softners. The only time I use the pain medication is right before the Wound Vac dressing is changed.

Regarding the Fistula, I did have one of those that was fixed with my second surgery. I will have to ask my surgeon to see if she checked for that during my last surgery.

cricket1

Helpful
what are the symptoms of this fistula? i don't have a wound vac in so its not the same but i've been having this same problem starting about 2 days post op and i'm not on stool softeners either. i'm almost 14 days in and it doesn't get better.

needsupportmom

"A fistula is simply a hole between an internal organ and the outside world that should not exist." That is the definition given by one website. But if there is pus coming out of the anal area, this needs to be checked.

I've also not had this experiences with the Wound Vac..........

Yeah.. a fistula is indeed a connection between in this case the intestinals and the outside world... it's one of the symptoms of Crohn's disease too ..
Maybe it's indeed useful to check whether it's not a fistula?

(I got no experiences with it, fortunately.. but I learned about Crohn's disease for my pharmacy study....... :) )

OmahaPinky

So I saw my surgeon today. She did a very extensive exam and I am happy to report that I don't have a fistula or any other physiological problem that could be causing this. She really thinks it is a combination of a couple of things. First, the Wound Vac is tugging on the surrounding muscles causing some of my problem. More importantly, she thinks I probably went a bit to far with the high fiber diet.

I am going to back off of the fiber and hopefully this problem will clear up.

cricket1

Helpful
[:8)][:8)]oh goody. i'm so happy you don't have the fistula. very good news and yes a high fiber diet would definitly cause your particular problem. well it sounds like things are going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.