Wound Vacs Part II

Pita82

Very Helpful
Instead of clogging up the other thread since this is basically just my unfounded opinion at this point...

I was wondering what the general consensus here on wound vacs is? I find myself lumping them in with the other things I would consider outdated like open excisions, flap surgeries etc. after hearing what people have to say about it on here, but unlike the other things mentioned I don't actually know much about wound vacs or what they're supposed to do. They just sound like a form of torture device to me lol. Thoughts?

Hound

Very Helpful
Country flag
Interesting thread.

They do make sense to me, if you have to have an open excision, and let's face it most people do, then a wound vac will speed up healing which can only be a good thing. The downside is having the darn contraption stuck to you. They also seem good for closed surgeries with wound breakdown, something we all take the risk of with the more modern treatments, though the risk is small.

By choice as a patient I would take one of the gold standard surgeries like a pit picking, cleft lift or modified karydakis first, limberg flap surgery second, open wound with vac third and self healing open excision fourth. That's my personal opinion. I know the limberg flap is a sledgehammer to crack a nut thing and a major bit of butt carving, but you cannot ignore the zero recurrance rate British surgeons are getting with them.

mike2011

Helpful
I would not consider them outdated technology because they are actually new technology with a proven track record on other wounds. Given the location of are wounds in the crack its kind hard to get and keep a seal sometimes. My wounds seems like it will heal at our around the 8 week mark so im wondering if it really speeded up healin or not. My wound was rather large. I

When you have a good seal on the wound the wound vac the wound has negative pressuse, draws the wound edges together, promotes granulation, removes infections material, etc.

Joanna

I just got my vac placed on Thursday and I was in a bit of pain at first but that's getting better. I have my first changing tomorrow and I am very excited to see if I've healed at all. Luckily my wound is higher so that my nurse could get a great seal. If a wound vac cuts my healing time in half then I am all for it. I don't see how its considered outdated..its a lot easier to deal with than having to change your dressing 2-3 times a day...I know my mom got tired of changing my dressing before the vac came. I can't imagine what someone would do if they didn't have help to change a dressing or the insurance to have a nurse come out daily.

Hello!

I've had a WoundVac 3 years ago... after I got an open excision, which left me a huge wound.
The woundvac was placed for 5 weeks and helped me a lot to make the wound smaller and make it heal better (because that's been a problem in the 8 years before the woundvac, after every surgery). The sponge they placed in was changed every 2-3 days at the hospital by woundnurses, and I have to say.. it was very painful. But.... After 5 weeks the woundvac was removed, and the wound had to heal by itself. This stopped after a few weeks (a small wound was left) so they gave me a skin-transplantation, which helped me to finally get rid of the pilonidal! :)

Pita82

Very Helpful
I just got my vac placed on Thursday and I was in a bit of pain at first but that's getting better. I have my first changing tomorrow and I am very excited to see if I've healed at all. Luckily my wound is higher so that my nurse could get a great seal. If a wound vac cuts my healing time in half then I am all for it. I don't see how its considered outdated..its a lot easier to deal with than having to change your dressing 2-3 times a day...I know my mom got tired of changing my dressing before the vac came. I can't imagine what someone would do if they didn't have help to change a dressing or the insurance to have a nurse come out daily.

Maybe outdated wasn't the right word... But it just seems from what I've read that people have a lot of problems with it. But like I said I've never used one.

mike2011

Helpful
I think its more a problem with the home nurse care that usually comes out and changes the dressing on the things. At least thats been my complaint, and also given the location of our wounds in the crack its hard to get a seal.

Pita82

Very Helpful
My wounds seems like it will heal at our around the 8 week mark so im wondering if it really speeded up healin or not.

That's what I'm wondering too... If all the hassle is actually worth it, or if people would heal at the same rate without it. I guess it would be kind of hard to judge, especially with pilonidal healing since everyone seems to heal at different rates in the first place.

mike2011

Helpful
I didnt get the vac until a few weeks after surgery, and mine may actually heal before the 8 week mark. I meant to say earlier that mine will at least heal by the 8 week mark. You can take a look at the picture forum and see my wound was airly large.

However I cannot fully vouch for the vac until after I am fully healed

Pita82

Very Helpful
DAYUM that's one hell of a wound! :eek: At least it looks like you're healing pretty fast tho cosidering the #%^&ing size of that lol.

Joanna

I did my first nine days with gauze and then I did the vac. My first nine days I saw no improvement...I've now had the vac on since Thursday and im eager to see if I've healed at all. I'll let you know tomorrow if the vac has been working for me or not as tomorrow I get my sponge changed.

Pita82

Very Helpful
Not to freak you out, but I think your wound in the first pic was about the biggest I've ever seen a pic of. Did you know what you were getting yourself into as far as the surgery?

mike2011

Helpful
Well ive been living with the pilonidal for over 5 years and I was recently laid off work and on cobra insurance and I needed to get surgery before insurance runs out. I was not able to find a surgeon doing cleft lift at the time. I knew the excision would be fairly large, but not that large. The angle of the pic may be making it look a lil bigger, However I hope the vac is not gonna cause the scar to have stress on it.

Joanna

Pita....as I said earlier in a post my first nine days I saw no improvement. Today I had my first sponge change. I have two wounds one measuring 5.5cm deep and the other was 2cm deep as of Thursday of last week when I got my vac placed. Today my large wound measures only 2cm deep and my small one is almost healed perfectly(no longer needs packing).

I don't know much about cysts since Im a rookie but I say those are pretty good results for five days.